1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC Karyst: An odd proposition

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Gnolyn Lochbreaker, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Leaving the little town of Malvrin behind, the party strikes out west along the western highway. The journey passes quickly and quietly, and after evening-fall of the second day the cook fires of 'Bauble Town' are within sight.

On the road before them, a strange man, dressed in travellers robes, struggles to bring a wooden cart back onto the road. Just beyond him, a small grey mule grazes contentedly amongst the grasses.

Giving the man a hand, the party learns that his name is Gertmayer, a peddlar of magical charms, scrolls and potions. Once his cart, and mule, are back on the road, he offers the group a strange bargain. In the wooded hills nearby is hidden a secret lair, once inhabited by a group of magic-using dwarves. Gertmayer believes the place to be stocked full of magical treasures, and is offering to pay the party handsomely for bringing these artifacts to light. Gertmayer also believes he knows the secret to getting into this lost lair, and is willing to share his knowledge with the party, in exchange for a 'split of the haul'.

However, before discussing the details of the deal, Gertmayer insists on going into 'Bauble Town', to find a place to rest, to eat and to drink.

Gertmayer leads the party into the shanty-town: a myriad collection of tents, shacks and hovels. But, here and there, can be seen the trappings wealth: a large, colourful tent; a well-built structure; men and women in fine clothes. Snaking his way between the dirt paths that serve as streets, Gertmayer leads the group to a large, colourful tent, or, more specifically, several large tents that appear to have been joined together. Coloured lanterns hang on poles, and thin scarves fly gently in the evening breeze like flags. The effect both alluring and gaudy. Pushing his way through a thick, fabric door, Gertmayer leads the party inside.

Within is a lavish collection of cushions, tapestries, and glass-cassed lanterns. A hint of various incenses wafts about the room. Several attractive young women, only partially clad in gauzy robes, lounge about the large main room. "Welcome to Mistress Kandra's," Gertmayer says. "You won't find a better place to stay in all of Bauble Town - it's clean, the food is excellent, the drinks are better, and, uh, if you wish, the company's without equal."

2. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

"Oh good, I have a message for Mistress Kandra from a merchant we met down the road. This makes it really easy!

Now, what's the trick of getting into this dwarf hole and what, if anything, do you know about what's left there?"

(Varg delivers the merchant's message when he gets the chance, btw)

3. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

(Mistress Kandra is quite happy to receive the compliment from Varg. 5 xp for delivering the guard's message)

Gertmayer briefly exchanges pleasentries with a shapely, matronly woman, apparently the infamous Mistress Kandra, and arranges for a large, private room at the back of the brothel.

Leading the group into the back room, Gertmayer ensures that the curtained door is pulled closed before taking a seat at the table provided.

"Now that we have some privacy, I'll get to the specifics of our arrangement." Gertmayer smiles, pulls out his pipe, and looks imploringly at Devious. "Would you mind, my good man?"

"So, about a half day's journey north of here, you'll find an area of woodland hills. Carved into a rocky hill-side is a large statue of a Dwarf wielding a hammer and a wand. According to local legend, this statue marks the site of the wizarding-dwarves." Gertmayer stops as two attractive young women enter carrying a platter of bread, meat and cheese, and another with a tankard of ale, a bottle of wine, and several mugs. He pours himself some wine. "Please, help yourselves - it's all on me." When the women leave, he picks up his tale again.

"Where was I? Oh, yes, the wizarding dwarves...So, while legend says somewhere in the hill was the secret lair of these magical dwarves, no one has ever been able to figure out how to get in. Until now, of course. You see, about a half mile south of the stone dwarf is a tower - your typical stone-and-timber structure. And it's been around at least as long as the statue, if you ask around. But no one's ever really bothered with it - it's just an empty tower, right? Well - and here's the good part - I happened to have sauntered into that tower about a year ago. And while I was poking my head about, I came across a couple of strange things. Here and there about the place I'd see a tiny little hammer carved into the stonework: at a window, on the floor, at a back wall, and so on. Now, I couldn't quite figure it out, but it's clear to me that the tower and it's little hammer has somewhat to do with getting into that secret dwarven complex. Here's where you come in. See, you're the adventuring types, good at figuring this stuff out - now that you've got something to work with that is. The deal then, is that you figure out the rest, get inside that abandoned complex, stuff all the magical goodies into your sack, and then come back here, and we'll split the stuff up. Heh, and if none of it's to your liking, you'll get the full proceeds from it. Now, how's that sound?"

4. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

"Well, I'm all for looting wizards' towers and dank dwarf holes of valuable stuff. No point in valuables being where they aren't worth anything, is there? Still, seems like your side of the stick is a bit shorter than you let on. You don't actually know how to get to the loot, you are just guessing that you maybe have a clue, huh? I think we need to be a bit more specific about your cash funding if we are gonna split the magic 50/50 for that."

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Devious hands over some more tobacco.

'Yes indeed my friend Varg speaks rightly. You suggested you knew how to get into the Drawven area. This is simply a guide as to where to start looking for some possible clues. In fact the link between the tower, its carveings and the magical temple seems pretty thin. I must admit it sounds like they were built by the same people but I don't see that that means one will automatically allow access to the other. This seems much more of a long shot than it did on the road. Haven't you anymore definate proof or help for this adventure.'

To the group 'of course it might be fun anyway, the tower and statue sound old and impressive.'

(ooc PS what time is it, I don't want the night to get away before I can set up a stall selling beer, foodstuffs and Devious specialities.)

6. Sprite Gems: 15/31

(OOC: It's mid afternoon, Mr. Devious, so you have lots of time to get out of this boring brothel and go make money. ;))

What I want to know, is just what's in that sack you're jingling at us. 50/50 on the magic equipment is not such a good deal. Maybe with what's in the sack, it is a better deal.

7. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

(Varg looks quizzically over at Rhwydd)

"Isn't that what I just said? He's not giving us enough info to justify a half share of the loot. But I'm sure he'll be reasonable, since he won't get anything if he isn't. Its not like we need him for anything unless he's holding back some more cards."

8. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

Gertmyaer lets out a pleasant laugh. "Well, you certainly are a cynical bunch. Ha. Good, good. Nice to see. Makes me convinced more than ever that you are, indeed, just the group I've been waiting for." He stuffs a bit more tobacco into his pipe, pauses and then lights it with a taper. After a long pull from the pipe, he continues. "Now, sure enough, I can't guarantee that you'll find a grand haul. And, seeing as your taking most of the risk, there should be something to make it more, uh, palatable, for you." Bringing the jingling pouch before him, he opens it. The gleam of gold can clearly be seen within. "Just for taking the job, you earn what's in this pouch: 150 pieces of gold. That's enough to keep you in food and drink till the middle of summer, no matter your tastes." From the recesses of his robes he pulls out another purse, smaller than the other. "Now, if it turns out that I'm right, and I'm sure I am, and you return with a sizable haul, then in addition to the gold you can have these". He draws open the bag, revealing a small collection of gems. "Much more practical than carrying around chests of gold, no?" Gertmayer leans back, smiling.

"Now, as to the authenticity of my information, well, perhaps I haven't been entirely honest." A slight grin comes to his face. "You see, in my line of business, it pays to do your research. No sense in taking excessive risk and doling out gobs of coin where there's little to gain. I do more than just listen to local legend and gossip. In addition to traveling about, selling my wares, I spend a lot of time reading. I get the best prices in the larger towns and cities. Also happens that many of those places have at least a modest library, plus guilds, merchant houses, and other places of knowledge, if you know where to look. Not too long ago, I found myself in Ylse, and decided to take a browse through the seer's library there. Now, it's hard to find anything that dates back before the fall of Eldimoor - anything useful and complete that is. But, now and then, I come across a little something."

Gertmayer stops and takes another pull on the pipe. He rolls the smoke around in his mouth, a pleased smile on his face, and then continues. "Now, I've known about the legend of the tower and the dwarf statue for some time. Never gave it too much thought though. Until I found a few remnants of a book by a gnome historian, Ceryvalis something or other. Just a few fragments mind, a page here and there. But in those little bits, he refers to a group of dwarf wizards, originally from one of the magic orders of Eldimoor. Seems they got into some row with their superiors, and left that soon-to-be-doomed land. Went south, and set-up their own little hold. They seemed to be interested in artifacts, and items of 'arcane power'. There's some bits missing there, lost or destroyed some time ago. But, later he mentions them again, these magical dwarves from Eldimoor, and their hidden 'complex'. He describes that dwarf statue to a 't', and the nearby tower. In his writing, he eluded to the fact that these dwarves used the tower to not only guard against intruders, but as the 'gateway' to entering the complex. So, I decided next time through, I'd have to take a closer look at this tower, and the statue. That's when I found the hammer symbols. Now, I'm convinced more than ever that the tower is the key to getting into the complex. And I'm even more convinced that inside there, where no one's been for hundreds of years, you'll be finding these artifacts of 'arcane power'."

9. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

"Okay. That sounds better. Though midsummer must be closer than I thought if 25gp each is enough to live extravagantly until then. Shall we set out in the morning?"

10. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Well that seems fairer. If everyone is happy I must be off to attend to a little bit of other business. In fact, does anyone fancy tagging along to see something of the locals? I have some beer, tobacco and dried food stuffs to sell, as well as my normal line in quality household items. I'm sure I could find a few free beers if anyone wants to come along.

11. Sprite Gems: 15/31

Oooh, Mr. Devious, you know how to tempt a lass! I'll come along; perhaps some of the locals are in need of healing, or spiritual guidance.

12. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

"These magic-using dwarves sounds exciting. I have always thought that dwarves wasn't too fond of magic. I guess I learn new things every day. When do we leave?", asks Ratheof eagerly.

Ratheof follows Devious and Rhwydd out of Mistress Kandra's determined to return there later. He makes sure he can locate the others later and tries to find a bow-maker or a fletcher to se if he can possibly trade his crossbow for a "mighty composite shortbow" (+1 str bonus,p114) and some arrows to go with it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.