1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC Karyst: Return to Malvrin

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Gnolyn Lochbreaker, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Having exhausted all conversation with the Ghost of Sir Andolyn, the party retraced their steps through the ruins and back to the surface to begin the journey back to the town of Malvrin.

Shortly after leaving the area of the ruins, they encountered a nest of enormous bees, and wisely skirted around the area, avoiding any potential conflict with the creatures. However, they were not able to avoid all conflict, as shortly thereafter, a skeleton was spotted travelling through the woods. Thinking to prevent it from reaching Malvrin, the party descended upon the lone skeleton and returning it to the grave.

The remainder of the day passed uneventfully, and after a night's rest, the party continued on its way. They were again side-tracked when Devious and Juhn caught sounds of a young woman's voice further into the woods. Stopping to explore, with the aid of Ratheof Blithwynn, they were themselves 'found' by two seemingly young women: Kalea and Elynaeria. Believing the three adventurers to be lost, they offered their assistance (with much rolling of eyes from Rhwydd and impatient grunts from Varg). The two women, dryads who live deep in the woods, hinted about an old woman who practices magic before going on their own way.

When the party finally entered the town of Malvrin near noon of the same day, they learned that several events had taken place since their last visit. The young priest (Jovrin) had gone missing, much to the dismay of Eric and Vira, who had also recently learned of the death of another friend, Harred, several days past. The 'spirits' had also become much more prevalent, terrifying the townspeople, although to this point no one other than Harred had been harmed. Under the advice of the young couple (Eric and Vira), as well as the mayor of Malvrin (Ramen), the party decided to search the room of the young priest.

Although the room was in considerable disarray, they were able to find several journals, outlining the events of the past couple of weeks, as well as events throughout the life of Jovrin. According to the journals, Jovrin and Harred had taken the Heart from the ruins, and had kept it secret from their other friends. When the group returned to Malvrin, Harred remained behind, with the pretense of doing some hunting, while intending to remove other items from the ruins. When he did not return, Jovrin began to worry and hid the Heart somewhere in the catacombs beneath the temple.

The recent journal entries also document various events, including the parties arrival and subsequent departure, and the escalating sightings of undead within the town. The entries stop two days after the parties first arrival in Malvrin, coinciding with the time of Jovrin's disappearance.

From the evidence before them, the party believes their next step is to locate the catacombs at the temple, and there try to locate the Heart.

2. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

IC

I know this might not be the time but has anyone thought of the longer term implications of our little adventure. I mean we might well be killed by these foul spirits and then who would remember us or learn from our deeds?

For example Lady Rhwydd, isn't there a story here about lust, power and evil. Surely it would be wise for the good people fo the village to reflect on these lessons. And what about the bravery and expertise of Varg and Ratheof. Or shouldn't we at least try to preserve the history and learning that Juhn discovered in the ruins.

So what I was thinking was, perhaps I could have a brief word with a local carpenter and printer (or scribe) to agree to produce something to stay behind with the villagers after we have gone. Perhaps some figurines of ourselves and some pictures with the story of our exploits written underneath. These could be sold to the villagers with the profits helping to pay for the cost of our expenses and maybe also to help repair the temple......or something.

If you are in agrement just let me have a few minutes with the right people before we head of to the temple. I'm sure we can get some kind of downpayment to show good will in advance of venturing forth........

3. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

"Come now, for all we know, Jovrin has frequented these catacombs quite a few times. It can't be that bad hmm?"

Juhn pauses, contemplating..

"On the other hand, if the heart is still here, that means Jovrin hasn't succeeded in retrieving it, which forebodes ill. After all, you never know what lurks in the dark."

4. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I imagine it can't be all smooth going down there. More undead, I suppose. Well, we dealt with the last batch. And I've got more holy water yet.

Let's find these catacombs, and then come back tomorrow to explore them. We'll think better after a good night's sleep in a comfortable inn and a hearty breakfast.

Mr Devious, perhaps if you are so keen to record our adventures for posterity, you could persuade a bard to tell our tale. I'm not sure the townspeople are feeling enterpren- interprenur- like investing money right now.

5. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

Heh, I would just as soon those losers in the ruins were forgotten again, but I doubt we'll be so lucky. As for expenses, I think we have made out like bandits; which isn't surprising since that's pretty much how we've acted. Robbed those hapless goblins, looted the complex, and now that braindead ghost knight has promised us another reward if we hand the trinket back over to him.

My question is how to we stop more stupid brats from stealing from that place? Its not like that secret order of holy corpses seems up to the task. Assuming we even give the object back.

[This message has been edited by Vormaerin (edited March 09, 2002).]

6. Sprite Gems: 15/31

Interesting point, Mr. Varg. What do you propose instead of returning the heart? Surely you are still intent on protecting the good people of this village. Perhaps somehow cleansing that tomb of evil undead for once and for all? I could see if the priest of this temple has any suggestions or help to offer.

7. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Well OK if you're not interested I suppose it can wait until later. As to the temple idea, lead the way Gentle lady.

Varg, I have to say I think your underselling our efforst so far though. I admit that we didn't need to attack those Goblins though the behaviour of the ones at the ruins suggested it might not have been a terrible thing. I suppose some of the 'looting' was unethical but I can't see we have done anyhting else wrong. Against that, look at what we have done. We've stepped in to help these poor people and to try and wrong the inadequacies of those ghosts and no one mentioned any kind of reward accept for that ghostley knight. Or put another way we have been prepared to confront a great evil and regularly put your, errr I mean, our lives on the line to protect the innocent. Surely that is a good thing and your honour, if that is what you are worried about, is intact.

Maybe it is all my previous adventuring expereience but I have come to cynically accept that sometimes quests involve some less pleasant aspects. Not that I neccisarily approve of all these actions but in the heat of battle we can't all be perfect.

Anyway, if you're just worried about being the brave hero I'm also sure we'll have many more opportunities before this adventure is through. So lead on stout warrior, take the lead, we'll all be right behind you. I fear the trip to the catacombs is unlikely to be uneventful.

8. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Ratheof walks along with the others, you can hear him mumble something incoherent about a shrubbery.

Ratheof looks up at Devious.
    "Previous adventuring? Wow, tell me all about it. I can honestly say that this is the first adventure in my life."

9. Slappy Gems: 19/31

ah yes my friend, I used to be quite the adventurer in my younger days. I used to spend nearly all my time on the road wandering from village to village, town to town and even out into the dwarven and gnomish settlements hidden away from most humans. It was a hard life but gratifying.

Of course I don't like to brag about the monsers I've faced or the evils I've overcome. Generally such things are accomplished by a whole party and, even as the natural leader, I can't really take all the credit. I suppose I should also admit that my forte is not really in the hand to hand stuff. I can be more effetive directing the actions of my comrades in arms from further back, you know, taking the overall view of proceedings.

Perhaps when we have more time I could tell you of the time I was ambushed in the woods by a pack of mutated wolves or the mystery I solved involving a demonic cult attempting to overthrow an entire city. But for now we should focus on the task in hand.

10. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

Mr. Devious, I don't see as how we've "done" anything for these villagers at all. Started a few things maybe, but solved nothing. Anyway, I don't particularly care about the actions taken so far by any of the current members of our group. You'd have heard by now if I did. I just don't see any reason to make up false tales and lying stories. If we do something worthwhile we won't need to start lies.

As for the object, my interest is to end the threat of those dead sneaks. I am not sure that giving the device back is the best way to do that. Besides, its just plain better if dead things stay dead, so if we can get rid of those ghosts permanently, that's all to the good.

11. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Well I'm all for dead things staying dead. Though finding the heart seems to be the key to all this. It does seem from that journal and the ghostley knight's tale that the undead started wandering once the heart was removed. I wonder if destroying it would destroy these undead or make them more aggresive. I also wonder if the heart itself has the power to summon more undead - in which case I suppose we have to destroy it. Or maybe there might be the peaceful option of returing it and that might casue the undead to return. That's if we can trust that stupid ghost knight. Of course, as Varg observed, that option leaves the problem of foolish villagers breaking in to the tombs once more.

Devious shakes his head and ponders the situation.

12. Sprite Gems: 15/31

While the men of the party are arguing about whether or not they're heroes :rolleyes: , Rhwydd sallies forth in search of the priest of the temple to see if he has any suggestions on how to put the denizens of the tomb to rest for once and for all. She'll return to the party when she has an answer.

13. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

Rhwydd finds Graydon, the head priest of the temple waiting just inside the temple. He seems both anxious and hopeful, obviously fearing for the life of the young man in his charge. Upon hearing the brief tale, he suggests finding this artifact and returning it to its owners in the hopes that the undead will then leave the village. His main concern, however, remains the fate of Jovrin. "Ah, the poor young man knew naught what he was doing", he says. "Perhaps he thought to make a new life from this treasure...but I fear that now his life is in great danger. I can only hope that you are able to find him, and save him from this dreadful fate...if it is not too late already." Shaking his head slowly, he gives a sad sigh. "I suppose you will wish to enter the catacombs then? You will need the key, and I will show you the entrance. Although it has been sometime since I have gone down into the lower tombs, I know them well. This temple is old, ancient in fact, although much of it has been built-up over the years. But the catacombs below are small, and I know nothing of a 'secret place' within them." Graydon turns and heads to his chambers to fetch the key to the catacombs.

14. Sprite Gems: 15/31

/me returns to the rest of the party

I spoke to the priest; alas, he has no suggestions other than returning the heart. He has given me the key to the catacombs; shall we go down now?

15. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Devious, sighs deeply.

'Well it looks like we have to, and as you think it is for the best. However, I'd like to fetch my latern and some supplies from my mule before we head underground again. I'll meet you at the entrance.'

16. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] "Of course. I can't wait. But I need to restock on bolts and some food to snack on. Don't go without me you hear!"

Ratheof runs away trying to find a shop or two willing to take some of his money in exchange for 20 bolts, 5 silver bolts and rations for five days.

17. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

OOC DM: Characters can make purchases of items which cost 100gp or less as listed in the PHB except for any exotic weapons, and special/superior items (if you're looking for these, let me know and I'll let you know if your character can find and negotiate a price). Also, if anyone needs prices for standard items, let me know.

IC:
    Zorac is able to negotiate the purchase of 4 silvered bolts for the price of 45 silver pieces. Unfortunately, there seems to be quite a demand for weapons made with silver.

18. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Devious makes his way back to the Inn and speaks to the innkeeper. He thanks him for keeping an eye on the mule and negotiates a price for keeping him stabled while Devious has been 'adventuring with his fellow heroes to save the village from evil forces and the undead. He hopes he'll live thorugh the conclusion of the quest but says the Innkeeper can keep the mule if Devious falls defending the village. Errm how much did you want me to pay for a little bit of hay again?'

[charsima check (can't find haggle, barter or anything like that) D20+2 = 14]

Devious then takes a lantern, lighter, etc from his packs and restocks on rations, arrows, etc. He then heads back to meet up with the others at the temple.

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited April 03, 2002).]

19. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

The innkeeper is only happy to be able to help Devious and the other members of the valiant band. Halbryn insists on giving Devious a 'discount' rate for stabling the mule, and asks for only 6 cp.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.