1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC: Murder in Broad Daylight

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Erran, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The guards followed Xalen back to the Crimson Serpent Warehouse, passing Jakob and Pimm heading in the opposite direction. On arrival they looked inside. There they found the mangled remains of the (now) unarmed guard. "Another foul murder!" cried one. "Look here, some crates have been smashed open."
    OoC 25xp to Xalen for the 'distraction'

With no-one guarding the wagon, Thomas hopped aboard and began to examine the woman's body. He noted 2 rings, one ornate, the hairpin in her hand and he was just starting to check her pouch when ...
    "Hey you, corpse robber! What are you up to!"
    yelled a man in robes, accompanied by a soldier.
    Summoning up every ounce of charisma, Thomas replied: "Why, er nothing. I am Thomas the lawyer, representing Knomal and the dwarf. I demand access to the evidence."
    "You can make your demands of the magistrate, inside." came the reply.

Barent and Knomal were briefly questioned, then placed in adjacent cells in the dungeons below the barracks. Barent shared his with a robed man. A cleric wearing the vestments of Lathander came, muttered some words, stared at Barent and Knomal then left, shaking his head.

Thomas was allowed to see the magistrate just as the smirking clerk was leaving.
    The bard claimed to be acting in defence of the accused. The magistrate allowed him supervised access to the womans effects, which included: 12 shiruken, a stoppered bottle, some dried leaves, 2 letters (one from Jakob to Martok, opened) 36gp and a gemstone. The trial is set for 10am, tomorrow, he was informed. Barent is accused of murder, Knomal of aiding and abetting.
    Descriptions of Pimm and Jakob were pinned to the barracks door.
    Thomas left, to join his companions.

OoC Nicely roleplayed introduction, Majikus!

[This message has been edited by Erran (edited July 20, 2001).]

2. ayecapitan Guest

Knomal settled on a crude bench in his cell, thinking of the situation. The cell door sported a well-made lock, the prison was exceptionally quiet, in not for the dwarf's mumbling in the adjacent cell.

All his weapons were taken away by the guards. Knomal was not saddened by the fact, for never did he enjoy carrying weapons, and his reason for visit to Silverymoon was not fighting half orcs...

"And not sitting in the prison cell." he said aloud, sarcastically noting that he expected it to be the worst possible outcome even before he and his companions got into the trouble.

A thought of Lathanderian priest involved somehow warmed his soul. "Priests have their divine ways of knowing the truth..."

His inspiration was short-lived, for he remembered the situation - the warehouse invasion, and the reaction of the now-deceased half-orc seemed more logical to him than ever.

"We shall see, we shall see..."

3. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Jakob hurried after Pimm, lagging slightly behind as his legs were shorter, and his breakfast wasn't sitting easily. "let's hope our friends didn't get into too much trouble," he said, " if we need to talk to anyone, we need to have our stories straight. I'm a prominent merchant, from a Baldur's Gate coster, The Manycoins coster I think, as is Knomal. You could be the... the company chaplain, possibly. I just have to ask what God you worship."

4. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Pimm listens to what the gnome is suggesting for his story. Scratching the stubble on his face he smiles, "Well Jakob, it appears we're in luck then," he pulls an amulet out of his chain shirt. Showing it to Jakob, it reveals a symbol depicting a silver hand with its wrist trailing away into winds.

"My Lord is Shandukal, the one who watches over travelers and traders. It would not be unreasonable to suggest that representatives of a trading coster would bring a man such as myself."

Looking back at the Xalen and the guards entering the warehouse:
    "Say, wasn't that the fellow who'd recieved the threatening note that just passed by... with the city guard in tow?"

While still walking Pimm removes his jacket and crudely stuffs it into his pack, then takes from the pack, a hooded cloak, that he covers himself with - particularly the broken links of bloody armor covering his shoulder. He pops the hood over his head,

"The guard is involved, Jakob, we'd better pick up the pace and find out what happened to the others..."

5. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

OOC: Great, now I look like the bad guy. Actually I was going to lead them to an adjcent building and quckly make my leave. Oh well, this should be tough.

As Xalen walked down the street with the guards in tow, he passed the gnome from the inn and that cleric fellow that had followed them this morning. Checking to make sure the guard wasn't looking, he made eye contact with Pimm, and stopped to relace his boots. As he passed the two, he slipped a hastily scribed note he had prepared at the wagon under his boot and kicked it backwards as he rose, shooting Pimm a quick look, hoping he would pick up on his signal.

"Find safe hiding same as last night...Knomal and dwarf captive...Thomas searching wagon...try best I can"

Continuing his stroll, he quickly caught the guards attention as he yelled out, "Bloody scoundral, I say." The guards looked at him oddly. "Oh forgive by lack of manners. I would hate to tarnish such a proper looking man's reputation in public. Forgive me, I see you know not of whom I speak. Why, the wagon driver, of course. Why, just last eve, I saw the man stumbling from a house, of, well, shall we say ill repute. And there, right in the street, he lost his supper for the evening. I tried to lend a helping hand, but he shoved me away, prefering to stumble down the street raving and cursing instead. Definately not a man to be trusted, I wouldn't think. Anyway, as I saw the situation, the dwarf, who looked to be an employee of this trading coaster here judging from that sash he had on his shoulder, jumped on the back of said wagon. Now, as I remember it, the driver was screaming something about making an escape or some nonsense when the woman stabed at the guard. Most uncivil of her, really. The dwarf seemed to try to defend himself as best he could in his injured state. Then the wagon screached to a hault in front of the building back there. That's when that driver fellow started raving more that he had been last last night stubling down the street. Haha...what a sight that was. Well gentlemen, he we are. Where the wagon seemed to origionate from. Should we have a look inside?"

The guards opened the doors to the warehouse as Xalen feigned a gasp at the body of the slain half-orc, or at least that's what it apeared to be. "Gad, I'm going to be ill I believe...is that a dead body?"

The officers turned at him and gave the most prculiar look as one snickered to himself as Xalen held his stomach and mouth. "Aye, of course it is. What else does it look like"

"My word, what could have transpired here? I don't have a stomach for this at all. Good sirs....*Xalen holds his hand to his mouth and gulps*...I really must go. Though I would say keep an eye on that foul mannered wagon driver. Certainly wouldn't want him roaming the streets at night.*Clasps a hand to his mouth again* I really must go...."

With that, Xalen makes his leave, stumbling from the warehouse and making as grotesque of a gagging sound as he could muster without doing so himself. He makes his way down the cities backstreets and alleys, making sure noone is following as best he could, eventually finding his way back to the Inn, entering though the side alley entrace he had used last evening. Inside, he sees the Dark Elf Xandar and another elf talking. He aproaches the two...

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited July 20, 2001).]

6. Wildfire Gems: 23/31

Veteran

As the half-elf returns to the bar from his room, he sees that the inn is much quieter than the previous night, and all traces of the murder had been cleaned up. Eridain swore under his breath. Recognising a few members of the group last night, he wanders over and introduces himself. 'I heard you're investigating that death, and I was wondering whether you needed any help?'

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited July 21, 2001).]

7. Erran Gems: 19/31

Thomas gathered as many of his new friends together as he could. "Well, I guess we are all that stands between Knomal, Barent and the noose. We have 24 hours to come up with enough evidence to save their skins. Anybody got any ideas about who we can call as witnesses or what we can produce to convince the Knights that our friends are innocent?"

8. herf Guest

hearing the mage outline his plan to escpace Barent decides to wait and see what happens, he decides to trust his new colleagues even though he had only met them and been with them for a matter of minutes. He knew that when he got out though, he would take this mage with him as he seemed powerful.
    On that note Barent set about making a set of armour using his knowledge in armour making and the tools he had on his person combined wiht the piecs of iron he had bought only a few days before...
    He just hoped that his new friends wouldnt betray him like his last "friends"...

ooc, erran, can i make a set of armour? preferably a set that is +3 to ac, how long will it take to make?
    and how much hp will i regain with a night in the cells?

[This message has been edited by herf (edited July 21, 2001).]

9. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Majikus slumps against on the bed leaning against the cell wall...his thoughts stray to his primary plan of using his arcane abilities to burning the metal bars forming a crude but medioum sized window...big enough for a human to fit through...But the question is whether the heat generated would be powerful enough to melt the bars...

Ooc: could i do it erran?

If Majikus could burn through the window, he could get into the nextroom which has his weapons...and most of his equipment...but wait...howabout faking an illness or death? Now thats an idea...Majikus smiles to himself...

While brooding over these thoughts, Majikus is unconciously staring at Barent's genital region which Barent notices...

"Oi! wha the fuk you fukin well lukin at eh? Aint got yur own fukin pair? Well eh?"

Majikus jumps out of his thoughts and stares blankly at Barent...

"Whats if you eh? Lukin at my crutsch!"

"Wha? Oh! I'm so sorry! Please...i was just thinking of new ways to get us out of here...but come, let us forget this and tell each other how we came to be here in this desicrated cell..."

Majikus sits up and clears his throat...

"Let me see, well basically, this is what happe-"
    "Yes?"
    "Yes well...you see last night, i officially became a proper necromancer and i am no longer a diciple...so i thought that i would celebrate...yes, anyway, i was with a few of my friends and i got alittle drunk and abit rowdy. It just happened then that a town guard shoved me aside as there was a crowd and not much room...Now being drunk i got angry and cast a sleep spell over him. Why? I don't know...i was angry and not thinking straight. Anyway, the town guard had some friends with him and they caught me unawares and slammed something on my head and i blanked out...till i woke up this morning then i met you..."

There was a silence as Barent studied Majikus...

"So Barent, whats your story then?"

Barent, then proceeds to tell Majikus the recent events that had affected his life and how he got into the fix...

After finishing his story...
    "Ah, so i guess you had a bit to drink as well then ah?" Majikus roars with laughter at his feeble attempt of a joke...

"Er...yeah"

Ooc, is this ok erran or would you want me change anything? Oh yeah, Herf gave me his permission to create small dialogue for his character...

[This message has been edited by Sniper (edited July 21, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Sniper (edited July 21, 2001).]

10. ayecapitan Guest

I dont want to hang on a city wall ,was Knomal's though as he realized that this fate was likely his if he did not get out of here soon.

He though of picking the cell's lock, but the lock looked solid, and escape wouldn't really render him innocent.

I could say dwarf was holding me and Pimm hostage, this tale could work, was the rogue's next idea but his morals could not allow that, yet he knew that if it was not for Barent, he wouldn't sit here now.

Knomal decided to wait for some more time and if the opportunity to get away legally wouldn't come he will try to escape.

Lady Tymora, I'll be your eternal servant for a tad of help now

11. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Pimm, looks away from the note, back again in the direction of the warehouse. In the extreme distance he sees Xalen go into the warehouse, moments later running out again, hunched over as if sick.

"Clever," Pimm mutters outloud, "acting for the dunderwhelps..."

He suddenly thrusts the note in Jakobs face, and says, "Well, it appears we did not have far to go to find our answers. Let's relocate to the inn... but lets take the 'scenic' route, if you know what I mean!"

With that, he heads for the nearest alleyway.

After a time of skulking through the back alleys, Pimm and Jakob arrive at the inn. Through a side door they enter, and find familiar faces already discussing the problem at hand...

12. Erran Gems: 19/31

The guard calls to Xalen: "If you were a witness to these events, please be sure to be present at the trial tomorrow!"

OoC: To Herf. you will regain 1HP per night of rest. Of course, if a priest or druid were to visit you and cast clw ...
    There is NO WAY youare going to create a suit of +3 armour using hand tools and 'found' materials. With the a forge, proper tools and the right (expensive) materials the best you can achieve would be a masterwork set. To convert that to +3 needs a 6th level mage and 5,000 gp!
    To Majikus: Neither burning hands nor magic missile will blast you out of the cell. The room with the weapons in is also locked and there is a guard patroling around outside.
    Please avoid 20th century expletives (f**ing) or you'll have Darien on your neck. Get creative, use Bane or Bhaal or make some new words up.

13. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Jakob follows Pimm into the tavern. He approaches the group discussing how to free Barent and Knomal. "So, we're going to come clean about investigating the poisoning, then?" he says, "If they've taken my note from the waggon as evidence we have no choice, but at least an independent investigation on slender evidence is better than attempted robbery. I can't suggest much, as I've only heard about most of the investigative work. Two thoughts I have, and no more. First, has anyone found any incriminating papers, or anywhere the Knights could find them? Second, could Miss deKrynn be our murderer? If so, then possibly the assistant from Oliver's shop - Ned, I think I heard you call him - could identify the body, or we could see if any documents in her handwriting match Xalen's note. As for myself and Pimm, we must either lie low or give ourselves up, and cannot help in gathering new evidence. If we were to come forward, it may help show that we have nothing to hide, but if the case should fail, then four shall swing from the limbless tree instead of two."

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited July 21, 2001).]

14. Silverblade Guest

And then a mysterious stranger in a black cloak appeard, he looks very familier to Pimm, but he can't figure out who it is.

15. Crawl Gems: 23/31

"Well I for one am not pleased with such circumstances as these. How could you all turn something simple such as this into such a slipshod mess that definately incriminates me in all of this if I am to step forward to save Knomal's kneck, much less that Dwarf that I know nothing of. If I come forward, then I could very well be tied back to the good dead master Oliver's shop last evening, and I am not too fond of being a fith neck swinging from the gallows in all of this."

Xalen rises quickly from his seat, knocking the chair backwards and quickly heading toward the bar where he orders a stout spirit which he downs. As he wipes his mouth with his sleve, me stares coldly at the bar, wondering how he got himself into such a mess. However, as the events of the past two days replay in his mind, more than ever he wants whoever is responsible for this, and he wants this brought to a close.

Xalen walks to the table and, reaching into his pocket, he retieves his note and tosses it onto the table. "It's time for us to finish this. I'll help however I can, but I will not publically come forward as part of this unless I am forced to play that hand. I'm not fond of the idea of letting Knomal come to his end in this manner, and as for that Dwarf...well, if you could free him, all the better I suppose. Besides, I want whoever is behind all of this done in. If it was Miss D'Krynn, then she got what she deserved. A shame it wasn't by my hand. And no member of our group deserves to die for her death. If it isn't her, then the person responsible is still out there, and whoever that might be deserves what they have coming from me."

"Gentlemen," Xalen says as he slaps his palms against the table, "it is time to finish the game."

16. herf Guest

ooc, erran i meant a set of armour that gave me +3 to ac, i have the blacksmiths tools and the armour tools and some iron. i just want some padded armour.
    and erran u said the next online session was this weekend, its now saturday night, everyons in th chatroom, where are you?

[This message has been edited by herf (edited July 22, 2001).]

17. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Majikus awakens from a sleep that was mostly consisting of scratching and rubbing...the town watch never could make a bed!

Across the room Barent is busy at work with what appears to be armor...

"Don mindt me...i's jus makin sum armouer fur meself"

Majikus stares at him and then decides to think about a plan of escaping...he hasn't got the idea yet but he was working hard on it and after clearing his mind, he realised that there was no way that he was powerful enough to melt the bars...

Just as he was brooding over this, Majikus hears footsteps coming towards the cell. Barent ignores it and continues with his work while Majikus walks up to the cell door where he is shoved 2 trays with 2 bowls each...1 bowl with water and the other with some kind of broth and a crust of bread. Majikus mutters a thanks and hands one of the trays to Barent who takes it willingly.

"Aye, thankyu for the food..."

While eating the meal, a thought just hit Majikus head and he shot up from the bed in a flash...alot like if you sat on the pointy end of a very sharp pencil. Barent toppled over his bed in surprise...

"Wha? Wha in bhaals name is rong wif yu? Sat on yur majik stick or sumfin?"

"No! I have it! I have it! *lowers voice to a whisper* I know how we can get out!"
    "Maji-"
    "No wait let me finish! *takes a deep breath* Okay, this is the plan! What we do is that i pretend to fall ill or am nearin death while you call the gueard in alarm!"
    "Majik-"
    "Wait let me finish please! And when the guard comes to check, you wack him with your armor or fist or beard or something! And then we get our stuff! Free knomal and whoever else and er...meet up with the rest of your chums...hows that for a plan?"
    "Er yeah...Majikus..."
    "Yes Barent? what is it?"
    "you've spilt all your soup down your front and legs...looks as if you've been sick! *roars with laughter*
    "Wha?? Oh yeah...*then a thought dawns on him...Barent! You're amazing!"

18. Erran Gems: 19/31

OoC Sorry Herf, /me bad, I didn't think you'd want to make some ordinary hide armour when you can buy it for 15gp.

Ok here's the scoop: To make ordinary hide armour you need a hide and some strong twine made fom sinew. These you can buy from a tanners for 5gp. The hide is bulky and cannot be 'concealed about your person.' You may have some tools, but anything that could be used as a weapon (eg leatherworker's knife or a bodkin) will have been taken by the guards. Oh - and it takes a week. I'll ok you working on some small, trickey parts eg collar or cuffs.

IC: "Good thinking Jakob! Ned should help. I'll go round there immediately. What a pity no-one thought to look for documents signed by Miss deKrynn, I dont suppose anyone fancies another trip to the warehouse? And if only there was some way to tie the names Magenta and deKrynn together - the body on the wagon certainly was a striking red head."
    So saying, Thomas ran off to Oliver's shoppe.
    On the way he passed a town crier: "Oyez, Oyez, Orrible murders in the warehouse district, public trial tomorrow."

Ned agreed to attend and Thomas returned. The party then decided to visit the prisoners to 'cheer them up' Jakob was dressed as a scholar, with a wide hat to cover his face. When they arrived Barent was asleep but Knomal was anxious to get out.

They met a young mage, Majikus, who was held on a minor charge. While Xalen and Jakob went over the events of the first murder they remembered that the barmaid may have seen something. They needed some proof of poisoning, Majikus told them of an alchemist he knew, Samual by name. The party went to see him and convinced him to appear as an expert witness.

[This message has been edited by Erran (edited July 23, 2001).]

19. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Xander listening to the conversations finds out that all people that have any info on what has transpired are to report to the courthouse for the trial or face being arrested themselves. This does not sit well with Xander. Being half Drow he knows that someone that saw him will report he was there so staying away from the trial is not an option, and if he goes to the trial they may take him in simply because he is half Drow. Regardless of what happenss anything he says in court won't be believed and could hurt his companions case, not to mention they would almost definitly arrest him for perjury even if he tells the truth.
    *sigh* He says to himself, "What am I going to do, I can't leave them to courts, but I don't wist to be detained." he thinks and struggles with the decission. "Blasted druid codes." He decides he has to help them to maintain balance, regardless of what may happen to him. He puts away his staff and begins plotting a way to stay out of jail but still help his companions.

ooc: generally it would be a lot easier to make a wooden item a masterwork, right? you wouldn't need a forge just your tools, right?
    but it would still take the same amount of time.

20. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Majikus wakes up suddenly and see Barent staring at him.

"So wat knews ave u got of me mates?"

Majikus then told Barent all that had happened and that he would be up against a tough judge.

"But come now Barent, not all is lost...for you may be stuck in the poo right now but believe me, your friends are trying their hardest to get you out with what they have and i'm sure they will get you out...I mean, they seemed to know what to do and need. I've helped them out by sending them to a trustworthy alchemist...Samual...ha ha! yes Samual...greet bloke he is...always showing me his wares...yeah...if we get you and your friend out of Diablo's fart then i must pay my respects to Samual and the rest of your friends."
    "Hmm...yeah i guss"
    Barent lies back on the bed and stares at the ceiling while Majikus decides to get some more rest before luncheon is served...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.