1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC: No America Tue/Sun - Sorcery Hall

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Baldak Oakfist, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

13 Eleint

Having just defeated two bane guards, the Party decided that some rest was in order. They proceeded to the chamber where they first entered the sewers. Upon arriving, they discovered that the door to the room was split asunder, and several dead ants were around, the ants were in pieces, each with a tell-tale 5 inch diameter hole in its body. They figured that it would not be good to stay here, so they moved on to the where the location directly underneath Sorcery Hall. Finding a door at the end of the tunnel, Nockien succeeded to pick the lock where Phineous failed, and the door was opened. The creature, a Wight, was waiting for the troupe, having been alerted by Phineous’ lock pick attempt. Fortunately for the party, Pimm got the drop on everyone, and sprang to the attack with his mace, of unknown magical power. He scored a critical hit, when he should have not and against a creature that is normally immune, and stunned the beast. After that, the rest was easy, and the Wight fell to the onslaught of the party. The party rested in the lair of the Wight.

14 Eleint

In the morning, the party decided to climb the stairs in this room, arriving back on the surface after several days of being underground. Around them, they could see the buildings of Sorcery Hall. They investigated the rectangular building to the south first. This building was the library. Inside the books had all been thrown around. Pheldas and Talia noticed that the destruction was recent, as the dust on the floor was considerably thicker than that on the books. Xalen did manage to find one of the books intact. It had a rune inscribed into the cover, and it glistened with magic. Fearing it was magically trapped, The party convinced Xalen to stow the book away. Talia also noticed humanoid tracks, leading toward the Circle of Pillars. The party then entered the main hall. Over the door was an inscription; “Enter the Novices to learn the ways of the Evocation of the Elements.“ Inside was another library, this time intact. Two adjoining rooms contained tables and bookcases. Carved into the wood bookcases in the first room were runes, corresponding to elements; Acid, Cold, Electric, Fire, and Sonic. In the second, the bookcases had no runes carved into them. Over a door in the second room, was another inscription; “Masters of the elements enter to fulfill their destiny.” Along the wall, evenly spaced and about halfway up, could be found four items. The 1st was a beaker, set into the wall, the 2nd was a miniature fireplace, the 3rd was a basin, and the 4th was a drum. In the door was a 5 inch deep hole, angled downward. Phineous returned to the first room and noticed a map inscribed into the wall above the entrance door. It was a map of the area around Sorcery Hall, as it was centuries ago. Not being able to read dwarven, The group rested while Pimm prayed again for his spells, this time taking Comprehend Languages as on of his choices. The titles for the buildings indicated a cellar in the library, but none of the party remembered seeing a staircase. Returning to the library, the building was searched, and Xalen found a secret trap door right at the entrance. It lead down to another room, this one intact. The books in this room, except for one bookcase, all had the rune for sonic engraved into the cover. The last of the bookcases contained books dealing with countermeasures for each of the five elements. Five common items were mentioned within the tomes; Lye for neutralizing Acid, Coal for creating heat in a stove to fight off the cold, A Lightning Rod to render Electrical energy harmless, Water to put out a fire, and woolen insulation to deaden the Sound waves. Xalen, his curiosity having gotten the better of him, opened one of the books with the Sonic rune on it. On the inside cover was a message; “Books are the Keys to knowledge” (OoC: Something like that. My cat ruined that page, and I can’t remember.). The party returned to the main hall, where Xalen continued to enter spells into his newly found (Blank) Spell book.

OoC: All members receives 150 Experience.

2. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Nockien looks about and offers to sing a song if someone will give him ten gold.

"But in the meantime, will someone tell us why you care about getting into this sorcery place? I was just running away from the... er, I mean, I was just fighting a hit-and-run battle with a hydra."

3. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] Pimm raises an eyebrow at Nockien's question, looking irritated that the bard hadn't somehow figured out the whole story by now, in spite of the fact that he'd been with the party for only a handful of hours and virtually no one was making an effort to speak with him.

"Oh, eh, well we were originally sent out here, em, to Ascore that is (that's where we are currently situated) to investigate the operations of a witch who'd been causing some complications in the area... but she's dead now."

Pimm proceeds to tell Nockien about the Drow/Shade Lord/Zhentarim involvement with the Vergence to the best of his understanding, including the bit about the sacrifice, "of a greater being."

"Which brings us to that door over there. The inscription on it seems to imply that its where some greater being goes to die or sacrifice itself - although I could be mistaken as to the meaning of "where an elemental master goes to meet its destiney".

"Now the inscription above that door says you have to be a 'Master of the Elements' to enter, which I'd think would imply that we'd have to supply the correct object in there, with the correct element, eh... acid to beaker perhaps. However the books that Xalen uncovered seem to suggest that it might be the counter measures we're looking for to apply to those puzzle pieces. That being the case... what element - or counter measure - do we apply to each object in there."

After a brief pause,

"The other thing that troubles me is the condition of that library... I wonder if who ever ransacked the place was looking for the particular volumes that we now have."

4. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Nockien listens intently to the tale of the Shade Lord et al.

As soon as Pimm stops, he quickly asks "So, you're going to give me ten gold for my song, then?"

5. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Talia smirks at the suggestion of a "song" and decides to simply continue the conversation regarding the books.

"I think I understand what you mean. Instead of simply creating the element we have to obtain some sort of control over the element,therefore, mastering it. The book explained the counter measures for each element. For instance, instead of just starting a fire , we need to master the fire by dousing it with water, and so on....

If, as you have suggested, someone is looking for these very books, I doubt they will simply give up looking for them. We must assume that they are aware of our presence here, so whoever is looking for these books... is looking for us.

As for that puzzle.. well... I suggest we visit the rest of the towers to see if we can get any more information regarding the counter-elements there."

[This message has been edited by Xenecor (edited November 13, 2001).]

6. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

[​IMG] Pimm turns to Nockien, "Eh.. not right now... thanks."

Turning back to Talia, "I wonder if satisfying each of the objectives involves both creating and negating each element... Create a fire in the fireplace, and then smother it with water, and so on. Of course that would make both the cold and the electricity aspects rather difficult to produce, I think.

This is very frustrating, what would the basin represent then? It would suggest that water is supposed to go there, but following my logic, water would go in the fireplace, to extinguish a fire. So if a fireplace represents fire what element does the basin stand for? or the hole in the door for that matter? Electricity?"

7. Xenecor Gems: 10/31

Addressing Pimm "As the books suggest, The water is for dousing the fire. The fire in itself... is for combating the "cold" element. The creation of the fire would not apply to the fire element. The basin, in this case, would apply to the fire element, in that the water in it will be used to douse the fire. As for the electricity element, the book states a lightning rod, which we do not have."

8. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Nockien chimes in, "Put lye in the beaker, coal in the fireplace, water in the basin, wool insulation around the drum, and a lighting rod in the hole. That'll provide the antitheses of each element in the same order they're listed in the book. Remember, this wasn't designed to fool anyone with a clever trap, just to make sure they had learned their lessons properly.

"So, that said, how about that song?"

[This message has been edited by Shralp (edited November 13, 2001).]

9. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Pimm hesitates mid-though, and decides that perhaps a atmospheric change in the room might help rattle something in his thinking process. Reaching down into his purse he produces 10 gold coins and tosses them toward Nockien's pack where it lays on the ground. "Alright, make it a good one...," he says to the bard.

"I certainly hope its as simple as that, but I still have trouble with the logic of the puzzle then. I agree that to satisfy the sound element, for example, we should cover it with wool. That however would be taking the object that produces the element and neutralizing it with its counter element.

What you're suggesting with the fireplace is to put its actual fuel, rather than its antithesis, in where the element originates - which is the direct opposite of what to do with the drum."

[This message has been edited by ArtEChoke (edited November 13, 2001).]

10. The Word Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

ooc: back in town, sorry I missed Sunday. I am not sure whether I have been healed more or if I'm still wandering around with a hole the size of Alaska in my side. I will edit with an actucal post when I get more information.

11. Xenecor Gems: 10/31

After waiting for so long for Nockien to sing his song :p, Talia decides to sit down and rest her legs in the hopes that a relaxed position might clear her head a bit more.

Addressing Pimm she says "I'm not exactly sure how it actually works.. I'm not entirely certain that what I'm saying is correct. My problem with the theory is that there are obvious counter measures for each element. And yet, there are no elements in existence with the "items" to counter..... *groan* This is too frustrating. It would be helpful if everyone had a bit of input regarding this. I understand that the method itself does not occur the same way for each item. I believe, however, that that is why the books have such specifics as to what we need..... I'm just not sure."

[This message has been edited by Xenecor (edited November 16, 2001).]

12. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

After holding silence for some time, while the elf sang his tune, Pheldas suggested in a quiet voice:
    "I would think this has been long ago a place where the folk would study magic. I highly doubt that Shade Lords have soething to do with this place and this device in particular. It would seem that this device was used by a master to check the student's understanding of elements. Sure I am not, but the mystery about this thing has a rather trivial solution - I have to agree with the elf here..."

[This message has been edited by Skedaddle (edited November 18, 2001).]

13. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

14. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Well, I haven't really ironed out the tune yet, but it goes a little something like this:

I never cared much for tulips
    For roses never cared a thing
    But my sister eloped with a drow
    And that, my friends, did sting

She raised flowers in our garden
    Daffodils and irises galore
    But one dark elf did come along
    And he made my sister a whore

Now I curse those dark-skinned bastards
    With all of my singing powers
    When I find that ash-colored elf
    I'll plant him beneath some flowers

So give me not chysanthemums
    And keep, please keep your damned orchids
    But lend me your swords, my fair friends,
    So we can bust some drowish heads

[Anyone hearing Nockien sing will find that his singing is not very good - Baldak]

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited November 20, 2001).]

15. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Xalen, sitting with his hands to his forehead, trying to concentrate to studying the spells before he writes them into his book, slowly starts mumering something about singing elves while the bard bellows out a poor excuse for a tune. Finally, he has enough and looks up at the elf coldly. "Do you *mind*?!? I'm trying to concentrate, so please, if you insist on singing, please take it outside (where perhaps a passerbye drow might here it). Now it seems obvious to me that we don't need to quelch the elements, we only need to find what is needed to master them and place each one in the aproprate spot on the wall. As for where we might find such things.." Xalen looks at the map on the wall. "I think you can all figure that out. Somehow, though, I don't think any old pieces of material will do. It would be far too easy. I assume there will be more to it that that to master the elements. But we will find that out soon I'm sure." Xalen slowly looks back down at his work, mumbling something about quiet as he renewes his work.

16. The Word Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Wincing at Nockien's off tune notes, with its even more off-color lyrics, Calin almost had to smirk at Xalen's impatience. Calin turned to the riddle, and began to examine it closely. Thinking (for once) Calin took off his cloak. (this may serve for insulation.) Calin then searched his pack and located a tindertwig, hoping that would substitute for coal. One of the recovered swords may serve as a lightning rod, and lye can be found in household cleaners (I think).

[This message has been edited by The Word (edited November 21, 2001).]

17. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Tuesday’s session began with a brief, and poorly sung, tune performed by Nockien. The party decided to explore the individual towers surrounding the main hall, beginning with the Acid Tower. No traps were detected at the entrance, but while Nockien was fiddling with the lock, the Rune above the door began to glow. Pheldas determined that the rune could be a trap, but was unable to ascertain its nature. Between Nockien and Phineous the lock was successfully picked, and during the discussion as to how to approach opening the door, Pimm, not wanting to wait further, opened the door. At the opening of the door, a small globe of acid emerged from the rune and struck Pimm. Pimm was doused by the acid, taking damage, and Pheldas was splashed, taking minimal damage. Inside the tower on the ground floor, the party discovered an alchemical lab on shelves along the outside walls, in the center was a spiral metal stairway leading up. Nockien ascended the stairs, while the others checked out the lab. Pheldas did a quick check on the liquid in one of the Drow vials and determined the nature of the poison contained within. Pimm followed another set of tubes and beakers to the end finding a white crystalline substance. At the top of the stairs, Nockien ran into the bottom of a trap door. Finding no traps, he cautiously opened the door a little and was immediately struck by a magic missile, knocking him back down the stairs. He landed at the bottom unconscious. Talia quickly healed Nockien, and he proceeded to tell the others that there was at least one Baneguard in the loft area. Pimm put the crystalline substance in an empty vial and the party left for the next tower.

Arriving at the Cold Tower, Calin forced the door open. Having quick reflexes, he was able to avoid a direct hit by the globe, and took only partial damage. Located in the center of this tower was a pile of black rocks, coal, the stairs were located in the along the northern wall. In the loft area was an altar to the Dwarven god Haela Brightaxe. There was an inscription on the top of the altar, but no-one in the party was able to read it.

Upon reaching the Fire Tower, Xalen remembered the tome he had with the fire rune inscribed into the cover. Pulling it out, he walked toward the tower, the door opened on its own. The party entered to find a fountain in the center, and another set of stairs on the northern wall. Pimm gathered some of the water in another flask. Not being able to resist, Pimm and Xalen ascended the stairs and entered the loft area. When they were approaching the altar, a Fire Mephit stepped from behind the altar, and attacked, breathing a cone of fire at Pimm. Xalen charged the creature, missing with his first attack, but Pimm sent it flying across the chamber with a blow from his mace, but not before the Mephit launched two magic missiles at Xalen. Below, the others began to head towards the stairs. The Mephit cast yet another spell, this time directed at the Mace held by Pimm, the mace resisted. Again, Xalen missed with his attacks, and Pimm dealt the final blow with his mace, sending the Mephit back to the elemental plane of fire. This Altar was dedicated to the Dwarven God Dumathoin, and again, no-one could read the inscription on the altar.

Xalen scampered back to the library, retrieved one of the books with the Sonic Rune inscribed into it, and the party was off to the Sonic tower. Inside, they found Shearing tools, a spinning wheel, and a pile of wool along with a stairway to the loft. Not being able to read the inscriptions on the altar, the group headed to the Shrine of Electricity.

Approaching the Shrine, Talia noticed a creature moving about the altar, she recognized it as a rust monster. Phineous borrowed Xalen’s extra sword to lure the creature out, and approached the alter. Once the rust monster sensed the metal, it rushed toward the halfling. Phineous dropped the sword and backed up. Phineous used his club and attacked the rust monster missing with his first blow. Pheldas used his crossbow, and dropped it while fumbling to get it ready. The creature made short work of the Sword, turning it to rust. Phineous was the first to score a hit, not including the two arrows which bounced off the bony hide of the creature. Talia then cast Flaming Sphere and moved it over the creature. Pimm was the next to damage the creature, hitting it with one of the flaming burst bullets. The creature then turned to flee and was clubbed by Phineous, and was dead. Talia noticed that the altar was hiding a secreted passage, and with the combined effort of the entire party, the altar was pivoted, revealing a set of stairs leading downward. A rush of stagnant air, heavy with death rushed out with the opening of the passage.

Each party member received 300 experience, with Xalen getting a bonus of 100.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.