1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC: No. America Wed - Within the Ruins

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Baldak Oakfist, Oct 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

10 Eleint

The party awoke in the morning and decided to continue on to the ruins of the city of Hydra’s Head and Keilsor Castle. They reached the walls of the ruined city without incident. They decided to hide the wagon in the brush outside the city, the gorge widens to about 2000 feet in this area. The magic jar was placed into a backpack, using the noose and pole again, and Iris was designated to carry it. They observed that the City wall was breached in three places; A 300 foot opening along the western section, a 200 foot opening in the center which included one of the gate towers, and a 500 foot opening along the eastern section including the east tower.

They entered through the western opening, and proceeded to the west tower, which they found empty this morning. From the top of the tower, they observed the ruins of the city and what they could of the castle. They noted about a dozen buildings still standing plus the castle, which seemed recently repaired. The rest of the city lay in ruin except for a large statue of a hydra located in the center of the city. At the main gates, they saw massive webs, and also noticed some movement just to the north of the tower in the ruins. They decided to check out the movement just to the north, near a rather large building which was still standing.

Nimbul, as always went in first using his skills to remain unnoticed. He approached the building and looked into one of the windows on the southern wall. through the dirt, he could see several kobolds. The rest of the group joined him, and then he moved around the building toward the northern wall, moving around to the west. On the northern wall was the door leading into the structure, it was guarded by six kobolds. Having the surprise, the party easily dispatched the guards. Gaspar and Mathetais then decided to use Gaspar’s portable ram to bash in the door. Their first attempt failed, alerting all the occupants. Nimbul decided to try going in through a window. Gaspar and Mathetais succeeded on their second try, crashing through the door into a room with waiting Kobold guards. Nimbul entered through a window on the west wall, the room was empty. there was a door on the east wall, which he opened to see many kobolds, mostly very young or very old. They were placing a bar over a door on the north wall. Meanwhile, Gaspar and Mathetais were attacked by the Kobold guards. They stabbed at the two with their half spears, but were unable to penetrate the armor of either. Kitiara fired an arrow at a Kobold guard, killing it instantly. Mathetais followed suit slicing another one down with his long sword. After Gaspar split another in two with a mighty blow from his great axe, the last guard surrendered.

He brought the group to meet Yusdrayl, the Kobold leader. She explained to the party about the current inhabitants of the ruins and castle, at least as much as she knew. There was a band of Goblinoids living in the eastern section of the ruined city, and the main keep was occupied by an army of Orcs and Orc like humanoids, and there were also dark skinned elves which appeared from time to time coming from the castle. She also told of another entrance into the castle, a cave high on the mountain occupied by a hydra, or many headed dragon as she put it.

OoC: An updated version of the map can be seen at: http://people.ne.mediaone.net/frankmarianne/Images/Hydras_Head_Updated.gif
    The goblins occupy buildings 3 thru 7, the Kobolds occupy buildings 1 and 2. You just happened to enter the colony building, the other is the barracks for the kobold fighters. Everyone gets 75 exp.

Yusdrayl speaks again, “The Goblinoids living in the eastern part of the city are lead by three bugbear chieftains, who each have three Hobgoblin sergeants leading a band of goblin warriors of 30 or so. The castle is much harder to assess. I have seen many orcs, but have also seen larger orc like creatures and several Ogres. When they come out into the city, we avoid them, and they do not bother us.”

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited October 02, 2001).]

2. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] ooc I sincerly appologize for abruptly leaving last night. I hope i have dealt with the situation i was given and it wont happen again.

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

As long as we are apologizing ooc - Sorry that I missed last night. My wife invited her entired extended family over :grr:

The only thing that salvaged the night was the the wine was good and the movie we watched totally rocked! (A Knights Tale)

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] OOC: Mat, that's good flick! I loved the rock music along with the medieval tale! But kept hoping the blacksmith would win out in the end!

IC: Here are my thoughts on our situation. I think we should help the kobolds fight the goblin clans in the area. I feel a little bad about taking out their best fighters and leaving them exposed. It shouldn't bring the castle down on us, I would expect that they are familiar with the souunds of battle from the ruins.

After we even things up a bit with the goblins, I'll scout out the castle walls and the cave, to see about a better way in than the front doors.

I have a few other ideas that I'll bring up when we meet up again.

5. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Kitiara glances at the halfling. "You want us to aid Kobolds!"

Sitting back Kitiara strokes the sleek head of Jager, contemplating the groups next move. Knowing full well that the Warrior Gaspar will be all too eager for a fight. That Mathetais the holy one will also agree to this, she finally agrees. "fine lets help the Kobolds, but i must say our primary goal should be an entrance to the castle"

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

"Friends, Kobalds are an evil nusiance that must be eliminated! I doubt they would supply much help to us in our quest, and they will be far more likely to betray us to the orcs and ogers in the castle!

"My suggestion would be to at least to tie the kobalds up - eliminating them as a potental threat. Then we can begin drawing up plans to seige the castle"

7. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

"Mathetais," Gaspar says, "these Kobolds don't seem to be acting very evilly. Maybe you should try detecting evil or something? Also if we eliminate the goblins now, they won't be a problem in the future. I'd hate to have to run out of the castle straight into a group of them"

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

ooc - I detect evil on the kobalds

"Nimbul my friend, your wisdom is much greater than your stature. These kobalds are not evil. Indeed, their help and information may be trusted.

"Whatever course of action we take, we must not jepordize their lives here."

Shaking his head and mumbling to himself, the paladin then walked a little ways off by himself where he fell to his knees and prayed to his god for the forgiveness of his great pride and prejudice against these creatrues. "Show me how I can atone, please . . ."

[This message has been edited by Mathetais (edited October 08, 2001).]

9. Iris sighs. "I don't see any reason why we need to decline their help. If they aren't evil, then where's the damage as to helping them clear out the goblins. Let's team up with them and get it over with so we can continue on."

10. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

"So have we decided to go crush some goblins?" Gasper asks. "Though maybe these goblins are like the kobolds, not as evil as they appear..."

11. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Yusdrayl observed the party with interest for a while. "It is not necessary for you to help us fend off the goblinoids. We can take care of ourselves against them. My concern is the evil within the cas ... ," Seeing Iris with the tell tale green fire above her head, Yusdrayl simply stares at her. Regaining her composure she speaks again. "Where is the essence of the evil one. I see that you have removed it from the tower. You must have found a way to transport it without becoming posessed. Either you are the bravest of the brave, or simply foolhardy. What are you planning to do with it?"

12. Iris hesitates then studders, "Well we were... uh going to uh... show this jar to a err... someone more uh... knowledged about this jar than we are..."

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] Mathetais rose from his prayers, wiped the tears of contrition from his eyes, and turned to address Yusdrayl.

"Friend, if I may call you that, we have indeed taken the jar of evil from the tower. Our aim is to take it to those more skilled in the arcane arts and have them exorcise this spirit to the nether realms where its mischif can be rightfully punished.

"As to the evil in the castle beyond, our goals take us through that obsticle. Any help or information you can offer us would be much appreciated."

14. Serena Lynx Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Serena laughs at Iris’ explanation, still thinking that carrying around a jar possessed with evil is a bad idea.
    ‘What do these Kobolds know about the evil inside the jar anyway?’ She thinks to herself, her eyes moving from
    Yusdrayl to Mathetais in anticipation.

15. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

10 Eleint (later that day)

The party, having decided to continue on toward the castle, left the main lair of the Kobolds, and moved up the western edge of the ruins toward a building still intact. The large structure was wooden with a thatched roof, opaque windows, and a single entrance, a door on the street side. Nimbul checked the door, it was locked and after a second try, he succeeded in picking the lock. Everyone except Nimbul entered the house, Nimbul kept a lookout since Kitiara noticed the gates of the castle open and close. Inside, the group discovered the building was a large house. The entry room was a sitting room, and through the door opposite the front door was a dining room. At this point, Nimbul noticed an Orc patrol coming around the corner, on the road. He threw a rock at the window, breaking it, altering the rest of the group inside, and also the Orcs, who quickened their pace. The Orcs stopped outside the house and seeing the broken window assumed that a Kobold had broken it with a rock. They would have to go and teach the Kobolds a lesson. At this point, Mathetais screamed out that it was not the Kobolds, but the fist of righteousness, and proceeded to charge out the door. Nimbul fired arrows at the leader, a much larger orcish looking creature, missing with the first, but scoring a critical hit with the second, disabling the sword arm of the leader. Gaspar then rushed at the leader, killing him with a massive blow from his great axe. Serena caved in the head of one of the orcs, killing it, followed by Mathetais running through another one in a charge attack. Seeing their comrades, including their leader, fall so easily to the onslaught, the remaining three retreated toward the rubble. Kitiara wounded one in the leg, and then they disappeared into the ruins. Unknown to the party, the Kobolds were just on the other side of the rubble, waiting for the orcs. The orcs were seen re-emerging from the rubble followed by 25 Kobold warriors, who let loose with a volley of half-spears, killing the remaining orcs.

At this point, the group met the captain of the Kobold warriors, a cunning tactician named Kartail. Kartail informed the party that they would provide some back-up protection by tailing them around the ruins. The party gathered up the equipment of the orcs and their leader, then re-entered the house. There were four bedrooms in this house, each containing two beds, two chests, and two wardrobes. The party soon discovered why the windows were opaque, finding drow cloaks inside one of the bedrooms. During the looting of the house, Nimbul was singed by a fire trap, but this was not to be the last problem. Comic relief was provided by Gaspar and Mathetais, who would use Gaspar’s battering ram to open anything that Nimbul could not pick the lock on, destroying several potion bottles in the process. While checking out the last room in the house, Nimbul discovered a magical trap on a chest, but was not able to disarm it. Not wanting to leave it be, Nimbul picked the lock and Gaspar opened up the chest. Nimbul was hiding under one of the beds, and the rest of the party exited the room. Upon opening the chest, Gaspar was blown back by the force of the Fireball trap. He and Nimbul were badly damaged in the explosion, and the house was set on fire. The only surviving item from the blast was a scroll case made of bone. The party dragged the bodies of the orcs into the burning house, and then climbed over the rubble opposite the house, just as the lead orcs from the castle came around the corner. The gates of the castle were still opened, and it was decided to use the wand of invisibility to aid the group in sneaking into the castle at this time, seeing as the fire created a distraction.

Each party member received 325 Experience Points.

From the house the group looted 1 short bow, 20 arrows, 1 short sword, 1 great axe, 1 long sword, 3 cloaks (one definitely magical), 7 potion bottles, and two scroll cases. And 1 cross bow, as Kitiara reminded me.

As the party heads toward the castle gates, they notice that is is begining to get dark, and the green flame over Iris is more noticeable.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited October 11, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited October 16, 2001).]

16. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] ooc - This is the second time I've been labled as "Comic Relief" in this game! Not sure if I like that. :grin: :spin:

ic ----

Sulking invisible through the ruins sat heavily on Mathetais' shoulders, but sometimes discretion is the better part of valor ....

Their recent victory over the patrol was stirring ... but the numbers in the castle would be more overwhelming ....

Looking at the green flame hovering over Iris with annoyance, he wondered again about the wisdom of bringing the cursed jar along on the quest. Maybe they should leave it in the hands of the kobalds, or destroy it ...

17. As the castle got darker, Iris got more nervous. The jar was twice as bright as it was out in the open.

Ooc: I'm going to cast Identify on the cloak.

18. Serena Lynx Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Serena grew more and more nervous as the darkness enveloped the group. ‘Is there
    anyway to stop that flame from being seen?’ she thinks to herself. ‘I wonder what awaits us
    inside the castle’

19. Identified Cloak: It is a Cloak of the Elvenkind, +10 bonus to Hide Checks.

20. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] I believe we are faced with a choice...

We must either use stealth, deception or force to get through the castle.

We might be able to walk through the castle disguised as drow and sucessfully carry the jar, masking it as an artifact or such. There is a chance of failure.

We might be able to sneak through the castle using Nimbul's guidance and the wand of invisibility. However, the jar would give us away and we would have to leave it behind.

The desciding factor is unknown ... how important is the jar? What evil could occur if we left it behind and it fell into the hands of the drow in this cavern?

I am open to suggestions. Personally, I loathe either stealth or deception ... but I see the need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.