1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC: Tue/Sun No America - Sundabar, Gateway to the East

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Baldak Oakfist, Sep 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

9 Eleint

After re-supplying with ammunition, the party decided to leave the town of Jalanthar. They had found themselves a guide who would take them through the Moon Pass, Talia Verathalyn, a local resident and druid. They would not have to wait long before reaching the pass, it was a mere 2 miles from Jalanthar. The Moon Pass is a canyon which the River Rauvin has cut through the Nether Mountains. It ranges in width from 800 feet at its narrowest point to just over a mile in several spots. The cliff walls of the pass vary in height climbing to over 100 feet in some spots, but averaging 50 feet.

Within the first 1/2 mile of the canyon, the group came upon several bears fishing in the river, they decided to move around them staying closer to the canyon walls. The two young black bears, being in a curious mood followed the party until they crossed paths with a large brown bear. The two smaller ones headed back to their fishing hole, while the larger brown bear, ignored the party in favor of the rivers bountiful fish.

Shortly after the encounter, the party came to the Verbeeg Narrows, the narrowest point in the canyon. It is here that the local tribe of Verbeeg have constructed a bridge, and also the point at which the River Rauvin completely fills the gorge. Talia lead the party up a narrow pathway to the top of the cliffs. The ledge, 15 feet wide in most spots, winds its way up the cliff wall, then back down creating the only route by the Verbeeg Narrows. It is also the route which leads to the bridge. The party was on its way back down, when they happened upon a small orc hunting party, 4 total, who had just killed three deer and were preparing them for transport.

The party began to discuss the what to do. Not wanting to wait any longer, Phineous Fingers, dismounted from his pony and moved his way down the remaining length of the path to the canyon floor. He was able to sneak past the Orcs and into some bushes which were close by. The rest of the group remained on the path, discussing what to do. The Orcs having finished their preparations, had picked up the largest two deer and began to make their way up the path toward the top. Seeing the group on the path, the Orcs dropped the deer and pulled out their long bows.

Having a position behind the Orcs, Phineous came out from his hiding spot and move up behind the trailing Orc. Talia summoned a Hawk which she had circling, and then Phineous ran the trailing orc through with one thrust from his short sword, the Orc never made a sound. Pheldas then cast Mage Armor on Xalen, Pimm cast Sanctuary on himself, and Calin then charged down the hill. The Orcs responded by firing arrows at Calin, but the arrows harmlessly hit the canyon wall. Xalen, then spurred his mount on and joined in the charge. Calin killed the first orc he came upon with deadly blows from his Short Swords, and Xalen missed with his Bastard Sword. Talia moved down the path on horseback, while the summoned hawk dived at the Orc on Xalen, it tore at the orcs face with its talons. Phineous then moved up to the next orc in line and proceeded to run it through with his short sword. Calin finished off the last Orc with a blow from one of his short swords, and the Orcs were dead. Phineous grabbed the Long Bows and arrows, while Calin took one of the deer.

OoC: Each party member received 100 xp.

The party reached the end of the pass, and moved onto Sundabar, the next stop in their journey to Ascore. At the gates, they are stopped by a guard. “Hold there. What do you have to declare. There is a tax on all commerce to help support the Army.”

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited September 17, 2001).]

2. The Word Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Calin said to the guard, "We are not merchants, sir. We are travelers. We carry food and weapons, for the most part. Any commerce we do in the city will more then likely be simple purchasing, or perhaps selling loot." Turning to Phineous, Calin continued, "Speaking of which, may I have a bow, and a quiver of arrows?"

3. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Pheldas spoke to the guard:
    "Aye, as my elven friend here has told, we hold no merhcandise with us, but just wish to stay for a night after a day of travels."
    As he looked in the guard's eyes, he continued.
    "So, probably we wouldnt be the best ones to support the army of yours. But, may I wonder, is Sundabar mobilizing and preparing its army for a conflict? I cannot recollect any happening around, might you bring us some insight?"

4. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

The Guard observed the party for a moment. "Looks OK to me. I guess you can pass. As for war, Sundabar is attacked every two to three years by some Orc army or another, and I would keep to yourself about anything you see in the way of defenses. Anyone paying too close attention to what they see in the way of the layout of the city or troops is liable to end up in the dungeon, as a spy. Just some friendly advice."

OoC: Anything you purchase in Sundabar will cost 5% more than the listed price, Taxes. Similiarly, Anything you sell will yeild 5% less.

5. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] The guard's "friendy advice" quickly diminished the mage's will to speak, so Pheldas turned to the troupe --
    "I suggest we use their hospitality and get inside..."

6. The Word Gems: 3/31

Turning to the guard, Calin said, "Perhaps we can be of assistance. We have come from Quavarr and spoken with Lord Juillian, we can tell you of the condition of the Verbeeg narrows, etc." Perhaps, Calin thought, we might have a chance to aid the Sundabarian army.

7. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] Pimm growing increasingly impatient with the banal yattering between Calin and the guard, abruptly interrupts:

"Excuse me sire," he says to the guard, "could you perhaps tell us of a decent Inn we could rest at, it was a tiring journey through the pass, and we do need some rest..."

Realizing that they do in fact have a guide, Pimm turns to Talia, "...or does m'lady know of an affordable location of quality?"

Speaking to the city dunderwhelp at the gate was making him very grouchy, and he was thinking about sitting down someplace warm and having a drink or two.

8. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

The Guard looks over at Pimm. Sensing his impatience, the Guard points toward the center of the city, "Straight up to Mattock Lane, then follow it to the Trumpet. Most adventuring types stay there." He then turns back to Calin, "As for your help, we have been able to repel every army that has ever attacked this city. I doubt that your assistance will be necessary. Besides the threats aren't from the Verbeeg in the pass. They're but a minor nuisance."

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited September 20, 2001).]

9. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Thankful for Pimm's interjection, Talia heads towards the direction of the inn the guard spoke of. She is not quite sure where these men are headed and for what purpose they head there. No longer is her guidance needed through the pass, so she can't help but wonder for what else she might be accompanying them for..... Putting an end to her thoughts for the moment, she concentrates on acquiring a restful place for the time being and hopefully a drink to settle herself. Undoubtedly the rest of the group will do the same.

10. The Word Gems: 3/31

Eyeing Pimm dangerously, Calin said, "I was merely trying to help, Pimm." Calin continued, walking toward the inn, "No one demanded of you that you had to stay next to me." Calin chuckled, "Unless your scared, that is."

11. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Xalen slowly rides his mount through the streets toward the Inn, slumped in the saddle and obviously still bothered by his latest round of combat, this time against simple minded orcs no less. He keeps his distance from the rest of the group, not wanting to hear anything they might have to say about his abilities. I was trained better than this, he thought....

Eventually, he makes his way to the stables of the Inn and, after his horse is taken care of, enters the inn. As his eyes adjust to the dimly lit inn, he can tell it is nothing fancy, but it will do none the less. Throwing his hood down, he steps to the bar and takes a seat. Pulling a gold coin from his purse, he raps it on the bar to get the keep attention. "Some decent ale, please sir...and keep them coming. Also, does your establishment have anything in the way of foodservice? *not that it will be any good he thinks*" Xalen stares down the bar awaiting a quick response, obviously in little mood for smalltalk.

12. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31

Sundabar... Grr... I should have read more o' the northern lands. the mage thought while walking the streets of the city towards the place of rest and observing the surroundings.
    "My greetings, sire", Pheldas addressed the inkeeper as he entered the inn, quickly evaluating his options for the evening. Maybe luck shall be with my he thought, and continued: "Be it true that Sundabar has a library?"

[This message has been edited by Skedaddle (edited September 21, 2001).]

13. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

[​IMG] Departing from the guard, Pimm snickers, at Calin's remark...

"Yes Calin, I was scared - I was afraid you were going to get us drafted into the Sundabarian army... lets hurry to the Inn, I need a warm place to eh.. commune with the spirits, heh, if you get me."

Having trailed behind Xalen the way in, he is delighted to see his colleague already downing the drink, and drops down on a nearbye stool.

"Bartender I'll have whatever he's having!"

14. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

After she settles her horse, Talia enters the inn to see that Pimm and Xalen have already ordered drinks. Talia takes a seat next to Pimm and orders her drink as well. Awaiting her drink she addresses Pimm. "Might I inquire as to the... uh.. destination of your group, I should like to know what my purpose here would be?"

15. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31

Waiting for the bartender to serve up his clients, Pheldas turned to Talia. "We hold our way towards Ascore. If you wish to continue your way with us, I think none of us will object fiercly [looks inqusitively at Xalen and Pimm]. What of purpose... 'Tis for you to decide, be my guess."

16. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

Pimm taking a quick glance around the room, "Now where's that Halfling now?...

Leaning over to Talia with a smirk on his face and speaking in a whisper, "Well hopefully the little spyfink isn't hiding under my cloak, but if you really want to know... I don't know what OUR purpose is here, we are tracking down some criminal named Serena Novamyst, who is evidently making deals with..." he takes another look around to see if Phineous is around, "...the Zhents, the Drow and the Shade Lords, though what we're supposed to do when we find her is anyone's guess. That halfling we're with is a Harper - well, as far as we know anyway... oh, yes and evidently there's a pair of Zhent assaassins trailing us somewhere, but I have yet to see them, the halfling may have just made that up to get himself into our group..."

Pimm reaches idly into his purse and pulls a single gold coin out, placing it between his thumb and his index finger, and looks over at Xalen slouching a few stools down. Lining him up, Pimm flicks the gold piece at Xalen, sending the coin whurring through the air, only catching a bit of Xalens hood as it goes bouncing off into the tavern somewhere... "What are you so glum about?"

Turning back to Talia, "Me and the depressed sot over there seem to have gotten ourselves in a bit of a fix. See, it seems that the drow part of problem thinks we possess some gem," and Pimm continues to tell the rest of the story.

17. The Word Gems: 3/31

OOc: sorry, been outta town for a few days, I'll be home later today.

Slightly perturbed at Pimm's irreverent remarks, Calin entered the tavern. Seeing Pimm already at his...communing, Calin walked to the bar, addressing the barkeep, "Good day, would you be interested in buying some meat we happened on recently? It is deer meat."

18. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

The bartender calmly handed out drinks to all who asked, never saying a word.

From the area of the guest rooms, a tall poised human enters the dining area, with a halfling in tow. The tall figure addresses Pimm, "Excuse me sir, but does this belong to you?" He gestures at Phineous, whom he has by the collar. "Oh, Pardon me. I have forgotten to introduce myself. I am Gaurlar Darym, the Proprietor of this Establishment. I found him poking about the guest rooms. Usually I don't care, but he could get himself into a lot of trouble today, as we have some very powerful guests staying with us tonight." Gaurlar releases Phineous.

19. The Word Gems: 3/31

OOc: OOPS! I posted under my bro's name, will someone please delete that post?

Calin chuckled at the sight of Phineous finally being caught. With another look to the barkeep, Calin walked to the proprieter and repeated his offer concerning the deer. Calin then said, "I am certain Phineous will refrain from further 'exploring'." Walking away, Calin whispered to Phineous, "I hope that you were investigating something suspicous, and not robbing these men and women, we do not need anymore enemies.

Deleted as requested...Baldak

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited September 23, 2001).]

20. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Xalen, feeling the coin zing past his head, wheels around in his seat and stares at the obviously mad cleric. For a moment, he thinks about standing and making a scene, but somehow he is in little mood for grandstanding. He simply turns the other way and walks away in just enough time to see the hafling being pushed away by what apeared to be the Inn's proprietor. Xalen shakes his head in dismay, quickly finishes his ale and heads out into the fading sunlight, already tirering of the establishment and his compatriots for the day. After stading and stretching for a moment, he stops the first non peasant on the street, wondering what might be to his intrest in this town. "Ah, exucse me my good man. Sorry to interrupt your walk to...ah..well, wherever. I've just arrived in your quiant city and was wondering if it perhaps had a library, a depository of magic knowledge perhaps, or just some interesting shops selling something that isn't run of the mill hopefully?"

[This message has been edited by Crawl (edited September 23, 2001).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.