1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC Tyrot: Against gnolls

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Oaz, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The party made it to their next town, Kegle. Melvin inquired about the possibility of a raise dead spell for Tanari, but the halfling Rogue was unable to find anyone capable enough to bring back his friend. However, he spoke to a priest named Lind, who claimed to know a gemcutter up north who owed him a favor.

The next day, an agreement was made between the mayor of the town, Thard, and the party. In return for a diamond (the material component for the raise dead spell), the party would look into an abandoned outpost to the west that now served as a lair for several gnolls.

The party inquired for more information, where they gleaned from the locals that while there were indeed gnolls in the woods to the west, there were also formidable gnoll shamans and their pet wolves. It was also found that some of the gnolls had been taking captives, including the local blacksmith Rupert. Before preparing to get to a small thorp to the west (Bristleton), Yrinnyn and Ratchett stocked up on supplies and repaired their gear. The party reached Bristleton in a couple of hours, and found the thorp to be in rather poor shape, undoubtedly from gnoll raids. However, Yrinnyn wasn't able to learn anything in detail about the gnolls.

The summer temperature was dangerous to the party, and Melvin took 5 subdual damage, Yrinnyn 1, Ratchett 0, Cugaer 1, and Yrinnyn's mount 1.

One hour has passed since the party took heat damage, so they have recovered 1 point of damage (already figured into the info above).

Everyone gains 100 XP for good roleplaying.

2. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Ratchett takes a hearty swig from his waterskin and mops his brow. "This blasted sunshine's too bright," he exclaims, "Azhel meant my eyes for caves and mineshafts, not this fury. And whenever I close my eyes, it's so hot I imagine mysel' back in the forge! Do any o' ye think this unnatural weather might have nothin' to do wi' Solran at all? After yon wood, I'm prepared te accept anything - just how formidable do ye think our gnoll shamans might be?"

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Yrinnyn (and his trusty mount) has gone off, at the border of the thorp, keeping vigilant watch in case the gnolls happen to return. He intends to stay there until this threat is resolved, making sure that no more innocents will be harmed by the foul creatures.

(This post is just to notify that Yrinnyn is technically no longer with the party for gaming purposes, because his character is no longer with our group. Treat him as an NPC.)

4. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Ratchett takes another deep draught and eyes his now worryingly slack waterskin. "It's clear te me that we're no goin' te get much further if this heat holds...an' if we're going te be stuck here fer want o' shelter, then we could at least use the time te talk things over...say, I wonder if there's a well here - or an inn?"

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31

(This post is to bring up the RC thread. You should still post here for out-of-session dialogue and actions. And our new player, Gothmog, is now playing.)

6. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

OOC: Yay! Atlast! Now we can save Tanari!

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31

The party, while at Bristleton, visited the inn, where they gleaned some information about the gnolls: there were about fifteen of them total, and they would strike at Kegle and Bristleton during nightfall once a week or so. Also, the barkeep, Hax, told the party that there was a wizard named Figern who resided near Bristleton and also a merchant named Quimble who was looking for some adventurers.

The party went to Figern and had the following items identified:

-Bracers of armor +2 (worn by Hitru)
    -Cloak of resistance +1 (worn by Melvin)

That afternoon, Melvin visited Quimble, and made the following trade:

-One potion of cat's grace, one potion of invisibility, five daggers, and 30 gp..
    -In exchange for the three gems found in the blighted woods several days ago.

Melvin also learned that Quimble was looking for people to look into a forest shrine further west, beyond the gnolls' lair. No promises of payment were made, but the merchant and the halfling agreed that they would trade once they brought back what they had found. Melvin was interested in a magic dagger, but it was expensive (2,300 gp). Quimble mentioned that there were rumors of a finely crafted harp and mask within the shrine.

The next day, the party set off to battle the gnolls. Not far from Bristleton, the party fought a gang of four of the bestial monsters, and easily dispatched them. Cugaer found the following:

-263 gp
    -roze quartz (unappraised)
    -potion (unidentified)
    All of these are on his person.

The party decided that Hitru, Melvin, and Ratchett would use their good hiding skills to scout ahead to anticipate any ambushes, while Cugaer and the pack animals (mule and a heavy horse) would stay behind, so it would look like there would only be the Cleric and two animals.

As it turned out, neither the party nor another gang of gnolls noticed each other until they were very close. Two of the gnolls, wielding greatswords, damaged the monk and the two rogues seriously. Ratchett fell nearly dead, but a cure moderate wounds from Cugaer brought him back up. Another gnoll, a druid, attempted magic against the party, but to no avail. The party captured the druid. Cugaer used comprehend languages to try to interrogate the gnoll shaman, but it could not understand Cugaer.

Everyone receives 750 XP (everyone had 8500 XP previously, so now you all have 9250).

Here are everyone's current hp:
    Cugaer: 26/31
    Hitru: 7/27
    Ratchett: 15/18
    Melvin: 7/14

8. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

"Cugear", asked Ratchett, "does Brenal grant ye the power to understand written languages as well as spoken? And if so might it be worthwhile to search the gnolls for anything written down?"

9. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Cugear nods slightly. Picking his staff off the ground he replied, "Yes. Yes he does. But I can't imagin this gnoll been able to write at all. They're not the smartest thing around. What shall we do with him now?"

10. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

"We probably don't have time to dispose of them properly if we want to check out that temple and make it back before it gets dark....hmmm, maybe we could leave one for the next patrol to find and then hide the others in the woods so they waste time looking for them...."

11. Rotku

"Temple, sorry? Did I miss something? I thought we were going to this gnoll fortress. Anyway, I'm not going to let this gnoll meet up with any of it's friends. We either tie him up and take him with us or kill him."

12. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Hitru limps to the others by the captured shaman. "The forest shrine you mean?"
    He sits.
    "I for one, would like to see this buisness with these beasts concluded later. I reckon this should scare them enough not to attempt to attack the town in the meanwhile. Melvin mentioned some items that are supposedly in the shire... might help us with these", waves at the dead gnolls.
    "In any case, i shall not continue ahead today. I wish to see another day, yet."

13. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

"Well," Ratchett said, "I dinnae think we can be copin' wi' a prisoner...unless we can find ourselves a way to communicate with him there's not much we kin do...now d'ye want the job done quick an' clean - or d'ye want te gie the brute the honour of dyin' with a sword in his hand? And while you fellas come te a descision, ah could gie Hitru a hand wi' his injuries...Brenal must be sick o' healin' up the lot o' us by now, an' I've always wanted to get the hang of this doowhacky". Ratchett digs in his pack and brings out his healing wand...."Now...if I concentrate...hold like so..."

14. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Ratchett fails to activate the wand (you got a 6).

15. Rotku

"If the innkeeper was right in his estimates, we've killed half of them already, if not more. I'm not turning back now, we need to get this diamond as fast as we can. I can heal you all if you require it, so that's no excuse to turn around."
    With that Cugaer takes a deep breath before stiking his staff down upon the Gnolls head.

16. Oaz Gems: 29/31

With a resounding crack of its skull, the gnoll shaman dies on the spot.

17. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Melvin winces slightly. "So, we're going to finish these off then? I.. well, alright. Then after we go to this shrine?"

He grins menacingly, "Now that we've got started, we might as well finish the buggers off."

(ooc: Oaz are you sure I'm still on half hp? I'm sure Cugaer cast CLW..)

18. Oaz Gems: 29/31

(Gopher, yes; Melvin took 7 damage from the last encounter, and I don't recall Cugaer casting any spells on Melvin.)

19. Rotku

"We'll see aobut the shrine afterwards, but for now let me look at your wounds."

((Casts cure light wounds on Melvin and Cure Moderate wounds on Hitru. I'll let you knwo what spells I use up tomorrow Oaz, as I can't be bothered open OpenRPG just for this...))

20. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Cugaer's cure light wounds heals 8 points of damage. His cure moderate woundss heals 10 points of damage. Melvin is at full health; Hitru is at 17/27.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.