1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC Tyrot: Fish and rain

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Oaz, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

(Greets, players. Glad this thing is finally off the ground.)

(Be sure to label your Out of Character text as so.)

It has been nearly an hour after dusk, and the sky is starless and moonless, and the waves faithfully lap again and again on the western shore of Tyrot. A slow, light rain calms the late summer heat, but it is dark, save for the few torchlights up ahead.

And dark means danger in a world like Karyst.

The dusty roads have soaked into mud, and travellers' boots are caked with it. Their faces are sweaty after a long day's walk,, and each one of them has a parched throat, and a half-full stomach.

But at least travellers' journey today, around this small fishing town, has been a day in which one will see the sun rise again. Thank Brenal for that.

The torchlights grow stronger and stronger as travellers walk nearer the town. Surrounded by waist-high walls, the town is mostly asleep, save for a church and a tavern. The muddy roads fade away, turning into roughly cobbled ones. There is a faint smell of fish and smell, which grows stronger with each step.

A small wooden sign, right outside the town entrance, reads "Yuethel". A guard, half-asleep, sits on a crate, barely giving notice to those stepping foot inside the town. Further in is the lit building, with a sign hanging over the door. It can only be barely made out; it reads, "The Hermit's Shell: Inn & Tavern."

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

One of the travellers looks weary, yet with alert observation in his eyes. He cast a short glance at the sign as he runs a hand through his long soaked silvery hair.
    Turning to another man a little behind, he summoned a short smile and speaks in a soft, gentle and melodic voice to his companion.

"So we've come this far. At least this night seems to be of easy rest and proper food."

His crystal clear eyes, shining like a pair of sapphires, turn to inspect this new place and seems briefly fixated upon the church before continueing it's route round the different houses.
    The elf takes a step up to a window of the inn and peers inside. Standing in the light, it is clearly seen he stands around 6 feet tall, yet perhaps a tad shorter. His skin as pale as that of a near death, although his body doesn't give away any sign of illness.

"Looks a decent place, at least more decent than what we've seen of late. Come, Cugaer, let's have a drink and a delightful meal cooked by skilled hands."

The elf opens the inn door and looks around once inside, to get a better idea of where not to sit. Brushing off the worst droplets of rain from his grey-green cloak, he makes sure his weapon and armor is hidden inside, showing peaceful intent. Only too well aware of his appearance, he discreetly walks to the bardesk and summons the keeper, asking in a low and polite voice.
    "Excuse me, my name is Tanari. I'd like a meal of whatever your finest may be, and an ale to follow, please."

[ August 21, 2003, 13:19: Message edited by: Lokken ]

3. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

As his travel companions walked up to the bar, Melvin discreetly follows in with a down-cast look, making sure not to make eye-contact with anyone. His sky-coloured eyes flicker distinctively when his elven friend speaks however, silently cursing his all-too-forward manner in a small village such as this. If elves weren't generally accepted in Mesharr, where he had been attacked several times; Melvin didn't think the village folk would react hospitably here all.

All 3 and a half feet of him silently moved up to the elf, trying to look as unnoticable as possible. Standing behind his larger friend, he silently pressed hard on Tanari's toes with his small, hairy foot, wishing he'd come to understand his motive.

Looking around to check if anyone had noticed, or at all taken a suspicious look at his friend, Melvin was relieved to see that no trouble was brewing. Yet anyway. Bringing a charming grin to his face, he all but pushed Tanari aside, "Greetings good barkeeper! How about adding a round of drinks for the rest of us, eh friend?" he called with a large grin on his face, gesturing to the man standing a few feet and away and the lithe dwarf. Having to stand on his tip-toes to be seen, Melvin made sure to drop down on his feet to make his coin pouch jingle in just the right way.

(ooc: Ok, sorry I won't be able to make the session tomorrow night, so enjoy yourselves, see you monday.)

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    In the corner of the bar man is seated whose whole undivided attention seems to be devoted to his table in general and his pitcher in particular. He takes it en masse, like a dumped man, a nobleman stripped of power or a bankrupt merchant, or, less poetically, a pissed dwarf. The public seems impressed, but his only current concern is if the pitcher will be refilled promptly when he sees the bottom of it, which indeed appears quite a proximate future.

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31

The inn is sparsely populated, there only being five other people. Three barely adult children are drinking, and there are a man and a woman in the corner, talking over a meal of fish.

Tanari: The innkeeper, a tall, thirty-year-old man with bad, fishy, breath nods, not bothering to look at you. He pulls out a slightly grimy mug, and pours a slightly green drink into it. The innkeeper slides it over to Tanari; the drink smells faintly like the innkeeper's breath.

"Six coppers fer the drink. Y'said y'wanted a meal, elf. What'll it be - fish or crab? Forty-five coppers for either one, so y'know."

Melvin: The innkeeper then turns to you. He decants some of the more strange liquor into three mugs, all of which seem just a bit clearer than Tanari's.

"Twelve coppers."

(Gopher - I assume that Melvin, Tanari, Cugaer, and Grimwald have then met before coming to Yuethel?)

Yrinnyn: Another person comes into the tavern, a middle-aged woman with light brown hair, and wrinkles deepening into her skin. The innkeeper nods at the woman.

"Evenin', Narra. You're not exactly the type to come to the Shell."

The woman shrugs, "My business is my own, Leth."

"Hmph. Fair 'nuff."

Narra walks closer to you. She looks your sword, then your armor, then at you.

"Herm. A warrior's face whose I don't recognize. I take it you're a traveller?"

(Chevalier - you paid two silver pieces for the drinks.)

[ August 21, 2003, 16:13: Message edited by: Oaz ]

6. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

(ooc: We've met the dwarf and halfling before? :confused: )

"So we've come this far. At least this night seems to be of easy rest and proper food," Tanari says to his companion.

Nodding the man lead his pack horse on, following closely behind the elf. They walk through the village up to what must have been the local inn, judging by the voice and lights.

"Looks a decent place, at least more decent than what we've seen of late. Come, Cugaer, let's have a drink and a delightful meal cooked by skilled hands," Tanari said in his melodic voice.

"Ah, yes. It would be good to have a proper nights rest. And to be out of this cursed rain," Cugaer replies to Tanari. "I'll just see to my horse."

As the elf entire the inn, Cugaer leads his horse to the back of the inn and instructs the stable boy on care for his horse. He hands over a tip to the stable boy and follows Tanari inside.

The inn door slowly creaks open, and in walks a man. A big man at that, carrying a large quarter staff. He has the look of one who has been travelling for many day. Curtously he advances towards the bar.
    The man takes a stool near the elf.
    "It's great to be out of the rain, Tanari. But we can't stay here long," the man said in a gruff voice, to the elf.

Turning to the barkeeper the man smiles. "I'll have one of what my friend here has please."

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

OoC: ok.. I'm snot confused. I'll take it as gopher's post hasn't happened, else I'm clueless too.

Tanari smiles at the barkeeper and puts a gold piece on the counter, "I'll take the fish, and an ale for the gentleman here. Keep the change." He nods towards Cugaer.

Tanari nods slightly in approval of Cugaer's words, "I know.. hopefully we'll find what you seek. I'm no master of potions I'm afraid, maybe I should have taken a course in it once."

Glancing oddly at the ale as if some vile smelly poison brew, he whispers to Cugaer, "Let's hope the food is better than this."
    Smirking at his friend, he sniffs the ale, "Perhaps something a little stronger should have been ordered.. at least it would have a cleansing effect."

As the woman enters, Tanari cast a short glance at her, following her with his eyes. Then notices the man to whom she speaks. Looking utterly surprised, his arm lose its strength and the mug falls hard onto the bardesk, spilling gently across the bardesk near them.

8. chevalier

Media:
    "Aye, madam, so I am, Yrinnyn by name." says Yrinnyn after hastily assembling his personality and standing up to help the lady with a chair. "Please, take a seat." he says in a reasonably considerate but somehow unintrusive tone, with a barely noticeable smile.

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31

(Okay, so we're on the same page, here is what's going on, since everyone's a bit confused. Melvin has offered to buy drinks for himself, Grimwald (who hasn't familiarized himself with anyone yet), and Tanari. Cugaer has just walked in, buying a drink. Everyone else has been there before him. Yrinnyn is not familiar with anyone. Melvin and Tanari have met again; it's been a while since they have. Cugaer and Tanari were previously travelling together.)

Rotku: You're wet and tired, and the plate mail hasn't been helping either, but you finally rest your feet on the stool. Leth, the innkeeper nods.

"Forty-five coppers fer a fish or a crab. Take yer pick, son."

(By the way, as far as I've noted, Cugaer doesn't have a horse with him. Please tell me what kind of horse it is (light/heavy), and I'll take the price out of Cugaer's gold.)

Tanari: The innkeeper sighs and wipes the rag up. The woman returns your glance, but then directs her attention to the human at the other table.

"A gold piece? You're kidding me." The innkeeper shrugs, pockets it, and soon after a hiss erupts into the room, as well as the smell of a fish frying.

(Out of curiosity, why is Tanari suddenly so surprised?)

Chevalier: The woman smiles at you, but it is not openly warm or inviting, only a tad friendly. Yrinnyn suspects she might be interested in something.

"Thanks, Yrinnyn. So, I'm guessing you're an adventurer of some kind? Maybe travelling with the other company over there?"

[ August 22, 2003, 05:20: Message edited by: Oaz ]

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

(ooc: Oaz, I did tell you about the horse before, but I've PMed you the info again :rolleyes: )
    Cugaer looks at the barkeeper curiously.
    "How much are the rooms for a night?" he asked of the barkeeper.
    Turning back to Tarari Cugear burst out in a deep laugh. After recovering from his laughter Cugear says with what could be described as a cheesey smile upon his face,
    "You bet to not be a master of potions! I travel this far with you to find a potions master and all along you were one! Imagin that. I'd beat you to deaf so fast you wouldn't be able to tell me the cure!"
    With another laugh Cugaer turns back to the barkeeper to wait for a reply.

11. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

He chuckles and smiles at Cugaer, "Well glad to see you still have your wits about you. Look over there however, in the corner.." Tanari points a finger at Yri, and whispers softly to Cugaer, "There's something else I haven't told you. I've been having visions of late, odd visions.. perhaps like you humans dream? I don't know, I've been scared of them. Maybe they're some sort of divine thing, or maybe I'm just going insane. But him, over there, I'm absolutely certain he was in them."

He sips the ale, carefully trying the taste of it expecting the worst, then sets down the mug.
    Looking around his eyes fall on a little halfling that strikes Tanari as oddly familiar. Then suddenly it strikes him, as a bolt of lightning from a clear sky, "MELVIN!?" his loud surprised voice being heard in the entire inn. Laughing he rises from his stool and grabs the halfling, spinning him around in a hug.
    Setting him down to let him breathe again, Tanari turns to Cugaer with a smile, "Please, let me introduce a friend from Mesharr. Cugaer, this is Melvin," then turns to Melvin, "Melvin, this is Cugaer, I joined him on his travel to Mesharr, thought I'd come see you again."

12. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Rotku: The innkeeper nods, and more of his fishy breath seeps out from his lips.

"Fifty coppers fer a night. If y'brought a horse wit' ya, y'll haveta pay another twenty coppers. Straw 'n' feed, you understand. Now are y'gonna have a crab or fish?"

(Added horse and feed in, by the way. I think I do remember you telling me that now. Oops.)

Yrinnyn: (Don't forget - the same also applies to you for keeping a horse - twenty coppers)

13. chevalier

Media:
    "Actually, madam, I do not have the pleasure of knowing those gentlemen... yet." says Yrinnyn in a slightly friendly tone. "A cup for you, perhaps, to ease the talking? I suppose that something is troubling you, isn't it?"

(@Oaz: and here goeth my 9 sp total :( ;) )
    (none of Yri's pitchers has seen any water since they were last washed)

14. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Yrinnyn: "No, not really. I'm just interested, if you're, well, interested in something. I'm guessing you're not in the employ of anyone particular."

15. chevalier

Media:
    "Yes, madam, I am interested in what you have to say. And you guess right. My boss is up there." Yrinnyn turns his eyes towards the said direction with some deference.

16. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Saturday Afternoon/Night recap:

The woman, Narra continued talking with Yrinnyn. Apparently she was interested in some adventurers for hire, but was vague on the details. Eventually, she shared the same information to Tanari and the others at the bar.

Tanari was greatly surprised to see Melvin by chance. He quickly introduced Melvin to Cugaer. Likewise, they talked with a Dwarf named Ratchett, who was also sitting at the table. Eventually, everyone purchased a room (although Melvin and Tanari had to share one). The five travellers went to bed. Before leaving, Narra, who the innkeeper revealed a Druid, gave directions to her home, in case they needed to buy potions or wanted more information about what she had in mind.

The next morning, Tanari got up early and wandered about town. He stopped by a Church of Riva, and conversed with a priest about a strange dream he had. The priest offered little help however, and Tanari stayed by the church. Ratchett and Melvin went downstairs to have "breffist", and Yrinnyn followed, and later went to Narra's home. Cugaer, on the other hand, bought some fruit and had a less salty meal. He later found Tanari on the coast, by the Church of Riva.

Yrinnyn found Narra at her house, but she was heading to the Church to pick up some herbs and apothecarical material. She introduced Yrinnyn to Cugaer and Tanari.

Meanwhile, Ratchett and Melvin went outside, where a few people commented about the peculiarity of the "short folk" in Yuethel. Eventually, they too met at the Church, and they too were introduced to Yrinnyn, Cugaer, and Tanari.

Later, they met at Narra's home, where she explained that the Druid Grove was dealing with some followers of Feryl. The Druid Grove, apparently, was looking for new recruits. A messenger would arrive by sunset. Tanari and Cuager examined one of Narra's books, but found it of little use, as they could not read much of it. Ratchett bought two Potions of Cure Light Wounds; Yrinnyn bought one. Cugaer, however, left to explore the town, and went to the blacksmith's, although he didn't buy anything.

They went outside, and Narra said that the Druid Grove might be able to help with the disease Cugaer was concerned about.

Yrinnyn met a patrolling town guard, who mentioned that a friend of Yrinnyn, Vadgar, had recently been through Yuethel, travelling towards the north.

Noon came around, and Ratchett and Yrinnyn asked around about various tidbits, but there was little of importance to be said. The party (except for Cugaer, who was outside the inn), talked about their past and their backgrounds, waiting for the messenger, who as Narra said, might "come by air".

Everyone receives 25 experience points (including Melvin).

17. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Tanari leans back, recalling his time of travelling as Yri mentions being on the road for 2 years. Coming back to the present, he looks the others once again.

"You're a long way from home indeed. And you Ratchett, where might you hail from?"

18. Rotku

After eating the loaf of bread, Cugaer brought for his lunch, he entred the inn again. Seeing Tanari, Ratchett the halfling and the human there Cugaer walks over and takes a seat by them.

19. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Ratchett swings around in his seat to greet the new arrival "Ah, hello Cuegar." he says, "Tak a seat. We wur just getting better aquainted. Tell me, are ye a native o' this isle?"

20. Rotku

Cugaer, turning to Ratchett starts to laugh.
    "A native of this isle?" he said, inbetween bursts of laughter. "I guess you could say that. I was born out at sea, so really, I'm not a native. But this land has been my home since I was a young boy." He laughed again before adding, "What about your self dwarf? Where do you come from?"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.