1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RC: Wed No America - The Gates of Hydra's Head

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Baldak Oakfist, Sep 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

9 Eleint.

After seeing the fanatical Orc commit suicide on Mathetais’ sword, the party gathered up the Orc and Ogre equipment, and continued their trek to the south east. They were not far from the Nether Mountains now, and could see them a short distance away. at the base of the one they were heading toward, a cliff could be seen. Nimbul spotted what looked like a cave, partially hidden by trees, and the party headed for that. The cave turned out to be the very passage through the mountains they were looking for. If the Map was correct, this passage cut through the mountain and emerged inside a gorge on the other side. They would have to endure the darkness for some 3500 feet.

They had traveled about 800 feet into the mountain, when up ahead they could see a cavern opening up. An eerie green glow could be seen emanating from it. Nimbul, having point, came upon the cavern first, noting that it was roughly 100 feet in diameter, compared to the 25 foot wide passage they were currently traveling in. In the cavern, an ancient battlefield lay before them. The skeletal remains of many fallen, along with scattered weapons and armors, mostly rusting from the damp environment. In the center of the cavern stood a tower 50 feet high, a green fire burning at the top. Nimbul entered the cavern and began to look around, while Mathetais, having just arrived sensed the evil emanating from the tower.

Nine of the skeletons slowly arose and formed a circle around the tower, 4 were quite large. Nimbul fired off a quick shot with his bow, hitting one of the smaller skeletons, but doing little damage. Gaspar them moved forward and threw a javelin. It passed through the skeleton, doing nothing. Kitiara cast a Magic Missile at the skeleton already hit by Nimbul, it crumbled into a pile of bones. Serena moved forward and channeled some positive energy in the hopes of turning these beasts, it worked and the skeletons would not approach her. Iris cast a Magic Missile at another of the skeletons, destroying it too. Nimbul searched the cavern floor, and located a club, which he picked up. Mathetais charged into the battle, striking one of the larger skeletons with his long sword. Two of the smaller skeletons moved up to attack Nimbul while the remainder moved over to attack Mathetais. Nimbul was able to easily dodge the blows, while the armor of Mathetais proved to be sound. Nimbul, utilizing his newly acquired club, smashed a skeleton in the ribs with it, breaking several. Gaspar then charge forward swinging his great axe into a large skeleton, crumbling it to dust. Kitiara cast another Magic Missile, destroying another of the smaller skeletons, while Serena moved forward at full speed toward Mathetais’ position. All the skeletons that had not been hit yet moved away to a distance of 10 feet, Only one remained to attack Mathetais. Iris cast another Magic Missile, hitting the skeleton attacking Mathetais. Mathetais scored a hit, destroying the undead creature. There were now only three skeletons remaining, and they were being kept at bay by Serena. Nimbul moved toward the three remaining skeletons, while Gaspar attacked the largest of the remaining, removing one of its ribs. Serena scored a critical hit using her sling, destroying the smallest of the remaining skeletons. Kitiara fired an arrow which passed through a skeleton, doing nothing, and Iris did the same with her crossbow. Mathetais moved forward again, scoring another hit, but dealing minimal damage with his sword. Gaspar was hit by the large skeleton attacking him, and the negative plane energy chilled him. Mathetais’ breast plate proved to be tougher than expected as the skeleton broke its arm on the metal. Gaspar removed several more of the rib bones from the skeleton with his great axe, followed by Kitiara hitting the skeleton on Mathetais in the eye socket with an arrow, removing its skull. The remaining Skeleton was finished off by a sling bullet hurled by Serena, and another mighty blow from Gaspar’s great axe.

A search of the cavern yielded three more usable clubs, 4 great swords, and 5 battle axes, along with 150 gp. Nimbul pried a coin out of the club he found, it was embedded in it. It was not a metal he recognized, and he did not recognize the face on the coin. Mathetais, sensing evil still emanating from around the tower, moved over to investigate. He discovered a metal jar as the source of the evil. Mathetais and Gaspar were about to smash it to pieces, when Kitiara, realized that she had seen a jar similar to this one in her studies. Magic jars of this nature were constructed to contain the essence of powerful evil beings. Mathetais tried to pick it up and could not hold it but for a few seconds. His own god had struck him full of fear, lest the evil contained within the jar possess him. The group devised a noose and pole contraption, picked up the jar, and placed it inside one of the chests. Gaspar then went over to the tower to inspect it for markings. He discovered the Image of a 10 Headed Hydra, similar to the tattoos found on the orcs earlier.

Everyone received 300 xp, and Gaspar received an additional 50 xp.

The next session will be determined after I find out what my schedule will be like next week.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited September 18, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited September 19, 2001).]

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Mathetais felt uncomfortable with the green flame of evil radiating from the back of their wagon. The wagon was their refuge, a place to sleep or meditate. Now it was transporting an unknown force that could potentially destroy them.

Clenching his fists, he resisted the urge to heft Gaspar's battering ram and smash the jar into millions of pieces. However, Kitiara's wise words echoed in his mind. "Breaking the jar could release a greater evil into the world, one beyond our power to defeat." The sorceress had a point. Better leave these matters to a more learned group.

Forcing himself to turn his back on the flaming evil, he checked his armor for dents or cut buckles from the previous combat. Thumping the solid steel breastplate he smiled, "Best investment I could make."

Raising his voice so the whole group could hear him he offered a suggestion. "We are about a quarter of the way through the mountain. Unless the magi desperately need to mediate and relearn their spells, I say we press on and leave this accursed place behind us!"

3. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

" I agree with Mathetais" Kitiara quietly answers. "Although i think as we travel I should get some meditation in to replenish my used spells"

Gathering her green robes in her hands, she climbs carefully into the wagon. Finding a comfortable place to rest, she slumps down against the side of the wagon, her robes creating a blanket to keep the chill air of the cave from affecting her meditation.

Glancing briefly at the glowing green light surrounding the chest, she strokes the sleek black head of her familiar. "We must take this to others that can unravel its magics".

Letting out a deep sigh she glances quizically at the group of travellers.. "So are we off?"

4. Iris climbs in the wagon after Kitiara, totally agreeing with her. Her almost black hood went over her head, making a shadow of her face with her iris eyes barely visible. As she settles in the wagon for meditation, she thinks, that green jar freaks me out.

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Nimbul rolled the coin in and around each finger of his hand, trying to puzzle out the importance of it, and why he happened to chance upon it during the battle.

..."I say we press on and leave this accursed place behind us!" he heared his armored companion bellow, which snapped the halfling back into the moment. "Leave?!?" he said, "What about that!" He pointed to the tower looming near them.

"Aren't paladins supposed to seek out evil and danger and conquer in the name of glory and honor and some such?" Plus, he added with a wink, "think of all the nice things one would have wanted to keep guarded by putting a tower in such a place."

I think we should take a peek... :grin:

6. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Hearing the noise coming from the cavern to the south, Xenlofangrothum slowly awoke from his slumber. It had been several weeks since his last meal and he could do with some fresh meat. Now which way should he go. Perhaps he would go through the chamber with the spiders. They would not bother him.

OoC: There are two exits from this chamber, one leading out to the north, and one leading out to the east.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited September 23, 2001).]

7. Serena Lynx Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Serena looked up at the tower to which the halfling pointed. Then she looked up at her paladin comrad, and smiled. Seek out evil and danger? He had been afaid of a little jar!
    She cleared her thoat and said, "Nimbul is right. There could be something which might prove valuable up there. I say lets check it out."

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] Mathetais dragged his eyes from the eastern exit and back to the tower. He cursed, "Lolth's tears! This place smells of evil. But the tower is marked with the Hydra's Head and might be important."

He drew his sword and clenched it in a gauntleted fist Flexing his hand, he walked towards the towers doorway.

"Nimbul, could you please check to see if this door is locked or trapped?"

OOC --- For some reason I thought the tower was a piller :rolleyes: else I would have suggested exploring it. No biggy. Also, do you know when we're playing next? If its tonight, please e-mail me so I don't miss.

9. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

The tower standing before the group was at least 50 feet tall. It was an open beam construction with a ladder leading up to a loft enclosure. The Magic Jar was located directly under the center.

OoC: I will try and put up a drawing on my website later if I remember.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited September 24, 2001).]

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

The elven paladin's eyes narrowed as he extended his senses into the loft through prayer. He wouldn't be able to sense heartbeats, but he could tell if there was evil present in the loft. That could be advantage enough to save his and his companions lives.

11. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] OOC: A pillar??!?!?!? Likely story! :heh: :roll: :spin:

Sorry Math, just like having fun with ya! :p

IC: Nimbul nimbly moves around the tower, looking for some sort of entrance.

12. Iris sighs and she slips out of the wagon. She strode slowly toward the tower, a growing fear pushing her weariness out of the way.

OoC: math!!!!!!! You thought it was a pillar??? I thought Baldak made it clear it was a tower!! Heh. Sorry Math, it's irrestistable.

Edit: OoC: Math, first you fall off your horse, then you think towers are pillars, what are you gonna think of next???? ;)

[This message has been edited by Shadow_Goddess (edited September 25, 2001).]

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] ooc - Hey, you're talking to a guy who fell off a horse ... must have dame bramage.

14. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

9 Eleint

After discovering that the tower was just a simple lookout tower, the group decided to leave the Cavern for the northern passageway. This passage was about 10 feet wide, clearly 15 feet less that the other passage they had been traveling in. After going forward about 400 feet, the passage widened to 30 feet. At this point, Kitiara notice deep claw marks on the passage floor. Nimbul and Jager moved forward to scout ahead, and returned to report that there was a large cavern ahead about 150 feet. The floor of the cavern was strewn with the bones of large animals. Not wanting to run into the beast which ate these animals, the group turned around and went back to try the eastern passage. They had traveled a total of 1800 feet and passed two forks in the passage, when they came to another cavern. Nimbul again scouted it out. The cavern was 200 feet in diameter, and had the empty shells of many Ankhegs lying all over the cavern floor. Nimbul noticed that the shells were partially cut and crushed, and that there was also a fist sized hole in each. He decided to drag one of the husks back to where the party was waiting. He had almost reached the passage, when a very large crablike creature came out of the darkness heading toward him. He dropped the shell and ran. The creature investigated the shell and did not follow him. Nimbul suspected that the creature was a very large scorpion. Nimbul decided to re-enter the cavern, pickup another ankheg shell, and lure the creature into the passage where the rest of the party would be waiting to ambush it. The plan worked like a charm.

The large scorpion, entered the passage after Nimbul had gotten about 10 feet into it. The party then attacked. Gaspar lead off the attack with a blow from his great axe. Mathetais followed in with his long sword, but was unable to penetrate the shell. Nimbul fired an arrow at point blank range, and caused minimal damage. The two spell casters fired in with Magic Missiles, searing holes into the shell, and then Serena crushed the remaining life out of it with her morning star. Nimbul noticed a second scorpion charging in at the group, and fired an arrow missing the beast. Gaspar quickly reacted and attacked the second with his great axe causing damage to this one. The scorpion tried to grab Gaspar with his claws, but was unable to do so. Mathetais again missed this one with his attack and Nimbul’s arrow bounced off the shell. Iris and Kitiara again fired off Magic Missiles, and this time disabled one of the claws. Serena was unable to hit with her Morning Star this time. The scorpion’s tail then struck at Mathetais, scoring a hit. Mathetais was able to resist the poison’s effect and took minimal damage. Gaspar then swung again at the scorpion, this time missing. The Scorpion hit with a claw attack on Gaspar, trapping him in the grip. The Scorpion then began to apply pressure on Gaspar. Mathetais tried to disable this claw, but was unable to do so. Nimbul missed with his arrow, and Iris did likewise with her crossbow bolt. Lucky for Gaspar, Kitiara scored the killing hit with a shot from her longbow.

The party searched the cavern, and found 10 platinum coins and a wand of some kind. They then moved out of the cavern, heading out the south eastern passage. After 500 more feet of travel, they emerged into a gorge about 200 to 250 feet wide. They set up a camp hidden behind some large rocks and decided to rest for the evening.

Each party member received 300 experience points for killing the scorpions, and Nimbul received an additional 100 for his excellent idea to lure the creatures into the ambush.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited September 27, 2001).]

15. OoC: Baldak, when I leveled up, for 1st level spells, I chose magic missile and identify. Kitiara said that I hadn't run out of 1st level spells and I want to use identify on the wand.

16. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] ooc - sorry I missed last night. I'm a sick boy .... and I don't feel good either. I ended up letting you guys use my PC's body as a scorpion shield while I crashed on medication and watch Star Trek Enterprise :spin:

17. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Kitiara was exhausted from the previous encounters with skeletons and scorpions. Finding a comfortable place to rest, she lays out her bedroll and lies down. Jager lies down beside her and purrs softly. Closing her green eyes to begin her meditation she murmers softly to Jager to listen for movement while she rests.

18. OoC: Ok, Baldak, I counted up my spells from your posts and I have used 4 spell slots. I have 6 zero level spell slots and 5 first level spell slots. I'm going to cast Identify on the wand.

(Shadow, check your e-mail. Baldak)

EDIT: I did.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited September 29, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Shadow_Goddess (edited September 29, 2001).]

19. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    Nimbul laid his bedroll out underneath the wagon and squirms under the blanket with a yawn. "Today was a good day," he thought to himself with a smile as he curled up with his shortbow close at hand. :sleep:

20. Serena Lynx Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Serena layed out her bedroll far from the wagon. She looked up at the eerie green glow. "Well, I finally hit something," she thought, "but it takes a lot out of you!" She layed down and muttered, "Time to res..." And with that, she drifted off into a troubled sleep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.