1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rc: Wed No. America - The Secrets of Keilsor Castle

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Baldak Oakfist, Aug 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Lord Jullian, moved into his study after speaking to those who would travel to Ascore. He had asked Mathetais to wait for him there. He was certain that the mission to Keilsor Castle and the Ruins of Hydra's Head was important and dangerous. He did not know how to send his trusted squire and friend off to such an evil place. he paused a moment in silent prayer to Corellon before entering the study. "Well, If the assassin is to be trusted in his information, then it would seem that the Ruins of Hydra's Head is located in the northern section of the Nether Mountains, somewhere north of Silverymoon Pass. These two extra maps may be of help, although they would represent the land as it was over 350 years ago. I also found this scrap of a note presssed inside my gradnfathers journal." He passes the scrap to Mathetais. It reads: We found the way the The Head of the Hydra by passing directly south-east from "The Stone". "I think that he was refering to the Barbarian ancestral mound of One Stone."

OoC: The Maps can be viewed on my site; http://people.ne.mediaone.net/frankmarianne
    They are labeled Jullian Maps 1 and 2

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Mathetais studied the maps with concern. It would be a long and difficult journey to a den of evil. Just the sort of thing he had trained for!

He looked to his companions, two elvin sorceresses and a mighty warrior and touched the holy symbol around his neck. "Grant us strength and skill!"

3. Iris waited for something to happen. She knew very well that the journey to Keilsor Castle would be long and dangerous. Being captured had done her no good. She twirled a lock of black hair around her finger, something she often did when she was figity or bored. With her 100gp in her pocket too, she would need to think of something to do with it...maybe a familiar would do some good; a nice raven that matched her hair.

4. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Kitiara sat back from the rest of the group, quietly stroking the sleek black head of her cat. "Well my pet, we are to travel to the castle." she whispers to the cats mind. Glancing at her companions, she is glad she will have the strong warrior and the handsome elf at her side. Thinking of the party's seperation she sighs deeply,"I must say there are few i will miss."

The new raven haired magic user looked like she might be able to hold her own as well. "It will be nice to have a fellow woman and magic user around for once". Hopefully the trek ahead would prove fruitful for this hastily thrown together group. Trust to Kitiara was a thing that was hard to earn.

Rising from her chair, Kitiara crosses the length of the room, her pet following at her heels. Walking up to the table occupying Mathetais, she admires his furrowed brow deep in concentration. Brushing her hair from her eyes, a smile plays on her lips "So can you make any thing of those?". She gestures to the maps lying on the table. Pulling a chair next to him she leans even closer to him. "Shall we make ready to travel to this castle?"

[This message has been edited by Kitiara (edited September 01, 2001).]

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] “Go? But we haven’t met yet!” a voice from thin air answers Kitiara. A small shadow stirred in the dark near the wizard’s chair. “I never go off with anyone without being properly introduced. Nimbul Alewine at your service, fair lady.” The diminutive figure said cheerfully as he bowed to the women in front of him. “I couldn’t help overhearing, but from what I’ve heard of your conversation, you are in need of someone with my, er, um…Capabilities.” A glint could be seen in the eye of the halfling as he said “capabilities” with a sly grin...

[This message has been edited by Sir Belisarius (edited September 01, 2001).]

6. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

Lord Jullian glanced over at the halfling. "It is about time you came out of your hinding spot. I've taken to scanning my rooms quite thoroughly, since the assassination attempt. Now tell me how did you get in here....no on second thought, it may be better if i did not know the identity of the guard you slipped past. If you can get in here without being noticed, you will be a welcome asset to this expedition." Turning to Mathetais, he continues. "I have a young cleric who would also like to join in your excursion. She is quite the good healer, and has taken to scribing her own healing scrolls. I think you will find her most useful. Her name is Serena Lynx, she should be here shortly."

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited September 01, 2001).]

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] Mathetais tightened the straps on his pouches and the buckles of his backpace, giving the halfling a long look.

"Lord Jullian, I bow to your will in this decision. If someone of this little one's 'capabilities' will be needed, then we shall endure his company. But please allow me to say this Mr. Nimbul Alewine . . . our mission and out methods are as important to me as my own life. Please restrain yourself from any 'extra-cirricular activites' that the Law would frown upon."

"But I look forward to meeting Serena Lynx. A cleric of light will be welcome on this dark path."

Despite his harsh words, Mat breathed a sigh of relief, knowing that Nimbul would be joining them. Sometimes a silent and stealthy assult was more effective than a kicked in door.

"Then shall we gather our supplies, new companions, and begin our journey while there is daylight left? I am eager to begin."

8. OoC: Ok, Baldak, I'm fet up with getting the "program performed illegal operation" sign everytime I try to open my character. Can you send me my stats instead of my character?

9. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

After refitting for the journey to Keilsor Castle, and a brief trip to a house outside of town for some of the group, the brave band of adventurers set off in the morning for the Ancestral Mound of One Stone.

7 Eleint

The wagon moved steadily through the rolling hills and clumps of trees that made up the terrain which lay between Quaevarr and One Stone. About mid-day, the sound of hooves could be heard coming from the north. The troupe decided to move to the top of a hill which also contained a small grove of trees. they hid the wagon as best they could and waited to see what was obviously heading their way. They did not have to wait for long, and observed a small band of nine Barbarian Horsemen riding fast toward the south. When the party was sure that the Barbarians had not seen them and were out of site, they came out of hiding and continued their travels to the north.

Shortly after they resumed their northward trek, they were attacked by orcs, who were waiting for them to pass. The orcs led off with a volley of javelins, hitting Gaspar and Serena. The party then had their turn to wreak havoc. Nimbul fired with his short bow, but missed. He was followed by Gaspar, who grabbed one of the javelins and threw it back skewering the orc who fell. Kitiara then let loose with a magic missile killing another while Jager leaped to the attack killing another. Unfortunately Jager was struck very badly by a blow from one of the orcs great axes, and if not for the fast reaction of Serena would have died. Iris took down the next with a magic missile leaving just three remaining. The orcs fled. The group fired one last time, and the remaining three orcs would never again see the day. Nimbul proceeded to make sure that the orcs were truly dead, and also began to search the bodies.

A brief search of the bodies produced 7 suits of Scale Mail armor, 7 Great Axes, 14 Javelins and 56 gold pieces. Each person received 300 experience points for the session.

Note: During the battle, Jager suffered an AoO, while charging up the hill at the orcs. Normally a charge attack will not provoke an AoO, but these orcs had the feat Hold the Line, as described in the Sword and Fist Guidebook.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited September 06, 2001).]

10. Serena Lynx Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Serena looked up at the afternoon sky and smiled to herself. I believe I'm finally begining to fit in, she thought as she checked her inventory. Of her once 10 scrolls she had only 7 remaining. This will be a lot more work than I thought it would be. However, Lord Jullian was right when he said this group would need a cleric. She smiled to herself again. Looking down at her blood-stained tunic and relized she had been so attentive to others' wounds, she had completely forgotten about herself. She started to cast a CLW on herself.

11. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Kitiara scooped the exhausted dire cat into her arms and gently petted her head.

Smiling at serena she spoke softly "Thank you so much for bringing her from the brink of death, I hope i will find a way to repay you for this kindness."

Craddling the cat in her arms she rested in the wagon, hoping that some rest could now be had for her faithful familiar.

12. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] The elven paladin ran to catch up with his party of friends, just missing their skirmish with the orcs. He cursed himself that duties at the temple had delayed his departure from town. When he saw Jager lying in a pool of blood his eyes widened in horror, and he thanked his Lord when Serena Lynx stooped and healed her.

He loosened his long sword in its scabbard and tightened the buckles on his breastplate as he scanned the horizon for more danger. Seeing none, he turned to the group and bowed in greeting.

"It looks like you had some fun without me. I am glad that you triumphed, although not unscathed.

"Serena, any small healing assistance I can offer is at your disposal. Thank you for your protection of my friends during my absence. You are truly a welcome addition to our group!

"If additional rest is not needed, we should press on. Our road is long and dangerous. We also need to decide if we will need to stop in Silverymoon for provisions, or press onto the Castle directly."

13. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

OoC: Mathetais, your character did not miss the fray, I had you driving the wagon, and using your long bow. Just thought you would like to know.

A note to all players: When we have a session during which you were not able to attend, and you are not in a location where your character would miss the action, I will play the characters as NPC's. This way you will not miss out on the Experience, and the Party will gain some of the benefits of having you around.

Also, I have compiled a list of all the new feats from the guidebooks. If anyone is interested send me an e-mail. I have it in two formats: Microsoft Works Word Processor, and Wordpad.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited September 07, 2001).]

14. Iris was exhausted. Even though her wild magic had killed an orc, it still cost her. Having fled her family because of her power, then getting captured by barbariens and drows, meeting the group that had saved her life and now this. What an adventure already! Iris looked at Mathetais, who had given some choises. Looking wearily at the group, stopping here would endanger them some more.
    "Let's press on to the castle."

15. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

16. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Mathetais nodded approvingly to the elven sorceress, admiring her courage and tenacity.

"Then let us tarry onward. The magi can rest and reflect on their spells (or prayers) in the back of the wagon while we journey. Gaspar, keep an eye on the horizon and stand guard with me while we journey. I would rather reach the castle than be caught in the wilds for another night!"

17. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

OoC: Due to an unavoidable schedule change at work, the Wednesday group met on Monday this week and will meet again next Monday.

7 Eleint

It was late afternoon, when the group decided to continue on to One Stone. Mathetais, Kitiara, and Iris began their meditations while Nimbul, Serena, and Gaspar drove the wagon. One Stone was reached at twilight, three hours later. The party was attempting to determine the direction they needed to travel, but had forgotten to bring along a lode stone or compass. Kitiara remembered that there is a certain type of moss which grows only on the north side of trees, but failed to locate any. Serena, however, found some and the group traveled on. They had decided not to set up camp, as this area of the Moonwood is supposedly infested with Lycanthropes, according to Mathetais. Several hours after Mathetais, Kitiara, and Iris had taken over driving the wagon, Torch Fire could be seen ahead. It was determined that the mystery group was traveling in the same direction as the party, only slower. They would over take them around dawn.

About an hour before overtaking the mystery group, Kitiara sent out Jager to scout the situation, a task she much preferred to heavy combat. Jager returned, and they were able to determine from her that there were 7 Orcs, and two larger creatures, possibly Ogres, dragging two large box-like objects. Instead of simply overtaking them, the party decided to move around to the south, travel for several more hours, and get ahead of them. They then set up an ambush. Nimbul inquired whether the paladin was OK with the idea of an ambush, and it was noted that Paladins are allowed to take advantage of tactical situations. For the ambush, the group placed the wagon in between two hills, unhitched the horses, and took up position on the tops under the cover of the trees and bushes there. Mathetais, Kitiara, and Gaspar were on the North one, and Nimbul, Serena, and Iris were on the South one.

8 Eleint

They had to wait only about 15 minutes, when the 4 lead Orcs could be seen, followed by 2 Ogres, and trailed by 3 more Orcs. Two of the lead orcs, upon seeing the wagon, moved ahead to inspect. At this point the attack was launched. Gaspar lead off with a javelin which skewered one Orc, it fell dead. Iris was the next to hit, casting magic missile at one of the Ogres, making this particular Ogre angry. Nimbul then grazed the temple of the same Ogre with an arrow, making it even more angry. Kitiara was last, firing a magic missile at the already injured Ogre, the fight was on. It should be noted that Mathetais and Serena put on quite a show with their bow and sling respectively, missing with every shot. Gaspar dropped the other Orc at the wagon with another deadly javelin throw, while Iris and Nimbul continued to hit the injured Ogre with their respective attacks. Nimbul, having grazed the Ogre again, commented that his boogers would be more effective than his arrows were. At this point, the remaining lead Orcs and the uninjured Ogre, charged up the northern hill while the other Ogre charged the southern hill. The trailing Orcs fired arrows at the southern hill, using short bows. With the cover in their favor, Nimbul, Serena, and Iris were missed. The charging Orcs and Ogres had gotten half way up the hills. Gaspar moved down hill and attacked the Ogre with his great axe missing, while Mathetais decided to drop his bow and attack with his long sword, cutting down an orc with deadly slices. Serena attacked the other Ogre with her morning star but missed with that also. The injured Ogre was finished off by a magic missile cast by Iris. Nimbul hit one of the Orc archers with an arrow, injuring it. Now the Ogre would swing his great club at Gaspar dealing a mighty blow, Gaspar was hurt badly, but still alive. The round was ended by Kitiara firing a magic missile at the remaining Ogre. Gaspar led off the next round with a mighty blow from his great axe, killing the remaining Ogre with a chop to the mid-section, the Ogre watched his innards and life spill out onto the ground. Mathetais killed the last Orc which charged up the hill, and Nimbul killed the Orc archer he hit earlier. The two remaining Orcs tried to flee, only to be cut down by a deadly volley of magic missile, javelin, and arrow. Serena used up three Cure Light Wounds spells healing Gaspar, it is a good thing for him that he is now second level.

The large box-like things being dragged by the ogres were in fact very large chests. Nimbul opened both using his rogue skills, but failed to locate one of the traps, luckily he was resistant to the poison. Inside the two chests, the group found 580 gp, 7 gems, 3 potions (one a CLW), and a scroll case. For equipment, they found two great clubs, 4 great axes, three short swords, three short bows, 7 suits of leather armor, and three quivers of 33 arrows each (the arrows are not of Orc manufacture, and are Master Work, stamped with a symbol, a Bent Bow).

Each party member received 550 experience points.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited September 11, 2001).]

18. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] Mathetais watched the opening of the chests and the searching of the corpses with grim satisfaction. Intelligence and righteousness had persevered, but he had a sick feeling that the bloodshed would become all too familiar on this road.

Keeping his longsword in hand, he walked among the fallen until he happened upon one still warm in his elven sight. He knelt down and removed a pair of strong manacles from his pack. Chaining the unarmed beasts arms behind its back, he dragged it over to the wagon. "Gaspar, Nimbul, care to assist me with something?"

Propping the orc against a wagon wheel, he laid hands upon it, strengthening its weak pulse slightly. The creature opened yellow eyes and saw the dread elf standing before him, covered in orcish blood.

"Your life is in my hands," Mathetais grunted in fluent orcish. "You will be spared the fate of your companions if you answer my questions."

"I want to know where you came from and where you were going? Who was the intended recipient of this treasure? What foul deeds was this goal seeking to purchase?"

19. Iris laid down on a patch of unblooded ground, barely noticing she was covered with some orc blood. Looking at the dead orc and ogre bodies with suspicion, Iris felt dizzy from all the blood. Finally looking up, Iris noted that Mathetais had captured a still living orc. Iris got up from her place and went to see what the orc fiend had to say.

20. Serena Lynx Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Serena wiped off her hands, looked at the battlefield before her eyes, and sighed. "I suppose it's a good thing I'm a cleric and not a fighter." She said to herself, "Not a single hit!" One more brief glance at the battlefield, Serena noticed Mathetais carrying the limp body of an orc. She followed Iris to the wagon with growing curiosity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.