1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Real Player

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Saber, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Hey, so I am having problems with Real Player... whenever I load it and try to get into My Library to watch videos, it stops responding. Every single time. Does anyone have an idea why a program would do that? Microsoft, of course, does not offer any useful information, and neither does Real Player's website.

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Unfortunately when it comes to Real Player the only piece of advice I can give you is to stay as far away from it as possible and get a better video player (shouldn't be too hard).

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I agree with Ziad. Real Player is garbage...use VLC instead. :thumb: :rolling:

4. Saber

Real player has a very useful download tool though... I can download (at good speeds) clips from youtube and such, which makes RP desirable. I had to reinstall it to get it working.

5. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

There are easier ways to get clips from YouTube. Firefox with the right addon can do the same trick, without you having to rely on another program. And for Real content, you can just get the Real Alternative codecs.

6. Saber

I dislike the Firefox add-on very much, it never really worked, always downloaded the wrong clips (didn't tell me which one it was downloading)...

7. Saber

Ugh, okay, Real Player sucks hard. I am trying to listen to Japanese tapes for homework, and it crashes halfway through every single time. It basically will run for about 15 seconds and then stop responding.

Are there other programs that can play .rm files (and .flv files) well without having too many problems?

8. Ziad

Media:
    With the right codecs (I use the K-Lite Mega Codec, but the CCCP should also work) Media Player Classic will play both. I've been using it for years and never had a problem. VLC also plays FLV but will not play Real files as far a I can tell.

9. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Yeh go with MPC or Zoom player (Both of wich come in the CCCP pack). Only reason I have Real is so I can play .rmvb...on another player thank you very much.

Also stay away from VLC. It's prone to random inexplicable crashes.

10. Ziad

Media:
    Not on my PC, and I've been using it for 4 or 5 years now on both Windows and Linux. I've had MPC freeze on me occasionally but never had a problem with VLC.

11. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Perhaps a bit late, but like I said, get the Real Alternative codec and every video player can play .rm files.

For .flv files, I prefer GodLikeMouse... it's this thing I found when looking for an open source flv player, it's quite nice. http://glm-flv.sourceforge.net/

And going back to the Firefox addon thing: there are many addons out there for saving flv content, and there must be one out there that you like. I use DownloadHelper myself.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.