1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Recommendations for new game (after finishing IWDII)??

Discussion in 'Playground' started by rck_star, Oct 30, 2003.

1. rck_star Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

just finished playing IWDII - liked it but realize that i don't want combat to be the focus of the game.

any reccomendations for another game?

it seems that Baldurs Gate would be to my liking, but i would rather get something a bit more recent / modern.

used to play wizardry back in the day, liked it then.

Neverwinter? Morrowind? the new Wizardry? Planescape?

[ October 31, 2003, 05:42: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Hmmm let me thing. How about Baldur's Gate, aye?
    Don't let it worry you that it's old. If it's graphics that you are worried about, they ar still decent; if it's complexity that you are worried about, you then you're an idiot. Can't think of any other things that would be wrong with old game. I'd recomend it!

3. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Yup, good ol' Baldur's Gate is the way to go :thumb:

As for others...
    Neverwinter Nights - only if you're on broadband and intend to play online. Single player is not worth buying the game.
    Morrowind - A huge game(even too huge). You can spend lots and lots of months playing it. Only singleplayer though, and BG is better.
    Planescape - quite the opposite to IWD. Lots of talking and less fighting. Very good i'm told.

4. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

O geez, I had it all typed out and then the topic gets moved. I'll try to remember what I said.

HAH! for once I like Temporary Internet Files, ok, this was my post:

Yep, I would definately reccomend the new wizardry, it is a very nice game, but be warned, a lot of things have changed since the older ones. Most are minor, and if you have played the others (or number 7 at least) you will love it for the story-line alone to say the least.

And rest assured, Baldurs Gate (1 and 2) are both excellent games as well, with a lot of storyline and sidequests, and a lot of detailed NPC's.

Ok, something important to note, especially if you plan on playing BG II as well:

*SPOILER ALERT, allthough you will probably never find this message in the game*

I reccomend doing this, as if you hold on to something from the begginging of BG, you can find another in SoA, and a third in ToB, and get some secret stuff, look here for more details.

And if you like the twists in games, solid depth, originality within D&D, and a lot of dialouge, then Planescape: Torment is a must. I believe you can get BG 1, PS:T and Fallout 2 in an interplay gamers pack. I highly reccomend playing this, as I am sure most people here would. It is not as long as the BG series, but you will enjoy it just as much. There were some topics posted regarding this recently.

I really liked Morrowind as well, because of the involving atmosphere, but it is true that it can become overwhelming, and some say stale. There are a lot (I mean thousands) of mods, most of which are compatible with each other, but some are buggy and you can get swamped trying to organize them all (of course, some have even better content than their counterparts in the original game).

I wouldn't worry abut Neverwinter nights unless you really like multiplayer.

Ideally, you should play all of those other games, as they all have very rich storylines.

I might also reccomend the Might and Magic series, not sure if you've tried them, however, there is a good deal of emphasis on combat, and while you can develop in a lot of ways (especially in number 7) there is not the depth of the Black Isle titles. These are similar to the Wizardry series, not quite the same, but I enjoyed them a lot, and have played more of them than Wizardry (might help that they didn't wait 8 years between titles ;) )

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Manus:
    Yes, we do think you are crazy, but who is this "they" that you talk about? :p Or are you not referring to yourself? :D

Anyway, in another post, you mentioned Divine Divinity. I have this game but haven't played it yet (can't seem to get away from BG2). My understanding is that it is somewhat similar to Diablo, but with more and better quests, and meaningful NPC dialogues; so sort of like a Diablo/BG cross. What did you think of the game?

@ rck_star - As far as BG2 goes, all you need to do is look at the current activity and total volume of posts in the SoA and ToB forums to give you an idea of the continued popularity of these games. I got BG2 a year ago, and haven't really played another game since; more on that here.

[ October 31, 2003, 19:09: Message edited by: Splunge ]

6. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, Divine Divinity is fun, you are right in your assumption of what type of game it is, but it can get repetitive towards the end (I never finished it). I liked the atmosphere in Diablo better (the first one, not Diablo II -A Pox on YE!) but it was still addictive for a while, so if you allready own it then I would definately reccomend it, for a change if nothing else. It is mostly played outside, there are very few dungeons, except for the initial one, and another which you keep expecting to end but never does.

Like I said, Diablo had a better atmosphere, and I think BG(1 and 2) are superior in every respect, but the game stands up because it has a style that is so different to the others, and having a storyline that you don't allready know every nuance of is nice :) It is also pretty humourous, with a lot of toungue-in-chek dialougue.

It can be a little unrealistic though. Every town was whinging about how hard it was for their national army to fight back the orcs, so I swooped in and decimated their entire population. Yes it was an army, occupying about a quarter of the largest initial area map -you'll see what I mean when you play it. Got some good gear though. The areas are a lot larger than in BG, but there are only a handful of them. It takes a long time to explore everywhere, but you don't have to.

Oh yeah, there is also romances (with an elf lass, although you play the game solo) and hookers! Mmmm Hookers ;) There's even a quest to find the secret brothel! :)

I'd just play it until you start to get too bored, as it can be quite fun for a while.

For some more information, you might want to go to The Locus Inn. Idon't know how many sites there are out there with info on Divine Divinity, but this one should give you enough to get you by.

7. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Any Infinity Engine game (BG1, BG2, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment) will keep you happy for weeks. BG2, in particular, will take over your life and keep you coming back for more, repeatedly. There are people in these forums who have played BG2 hundreds of times. Planescape Torment will astonish you, delight you and baffle you in equal measure. Don't believe the hype about the graphics - the IE games look a lot better than either Neverwinter Nights or Morrowind.

If you want to try something a little different, try Arcanum. It's nowhere near as polished as BG2 but it's still one of the most original and immersive games ever created.

You can pick all these games up for a few pence.

8. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Baldur's Gate, all the way.

Not playing a game because it's a bit older is like not reading a book because it's older, or not watching a movie because it's older. So read The Lord of the Rings, rent Casablanca, and play Baldur's Gate. :)

9. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

If you want something different you could try Stronghold. It's got nothing to do with BG, but it's still a really good game. I also played Black & White for a long time. It's really original, which is always good.

Of course I'm going to say BG1 and BG2 as two of the best games in the world.

10. Darhken Rahl Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

BGI morrowind, everquest..if you can cough up the 10$ a month, diablo I and II

11. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

BG1 and BG2 soa/tob of course would be your best bet, iwd2 is nothing compared to these games :) Morrowing is also a great game but it is very large and i found it to be quite boring and never bothered finishing it but seriously try BG1 and 2.

If you have not played them already you are missing out big time :) Planescape i have never played so i don't know but its suppose to own :) but aviod Never winter nights

@gothmog,
    I play a lot of games online all the time at a competitive level and I played NWN online of course but what is fun about it I have no idea but if you find out let me know ! and if you want to play RPG's online then try Everquest or so:)

[ November 18, 2003, 02:45: Message edited by: Sarevok- ]

12. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Personally I've always found Morrowind too small. So I'm currently in the city of Wayrest.

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I can't recommend EQ anymore. It seriously sucks if you're a low level on your first char. Plus, it's $13/month and will be replaced shortly.

Planescape:Torment is perhaps the best RPG in recent memory, but it's next to impossible to find. Either BG2 is nice, but they don't have quite as involving of a plot as PST.

The early Might and Magic games are good (4-7), but good luck finding them. I managed to get my copies in the Millenium Edition, which has been out of circulation for a few years now.

Morrowind is nice, but it takes a pretty strong PC to run it well. NWN isn't that good unless you're doing multiplay (I found the SP campaign decent, but not on the level of PST or BG), but there are a ton of good single-player mods out there (hundreds of thousands of modules available, so even if 1% is good, that's still a lot of gaming).

I haven't played Divine Divinity or Gothic 2, but I hear that both are good.

14. JamesT Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well, that did it for me. A friend of mine gave me planescape:torment about a year and a half ago. I started playing it and got bored very quickly. I should give it a better chance. It's been collecting dust on my desk for a very long time, now.

I've been so wrapped up with ages of empires, BG2, Medieval:total war to pop it in. Thanks guys, I just got a new game... Kinda.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.