1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Recommendations please

Discussion in 'Playground' started by chevalier, Aug 15, 2011.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Help out an aging veteran that no longer has the time and stamina to keep current. Background info: I want to destress, change sceneries, recharge, go back to work. Farming XP/gold or conquering the whole map has lost its appeal (maybe it's growing up or something).

— Mount & Blade (and Warband, and Fire & Sword): my chief worry is about playing any sandbox game, basically, does it somehow manage to be interesting anyway, as in something else than farming and getting powerful?

— Europa Universalis III (and all its countless addons): again, dreading the time factor; is it sufficiently non-dull to justify playing this type of game?

— King Arthur: the Roleplaying Wargame: same as the two above;

— Age of Empires 3: managed never to play it; are the campaigns worth it? (not gonna look at multiplayer);

— Shogun II: impressions?

— Any arcade or otherwise simple enough car racing game that has nice views (main reason for playing it), won't choke on my PC (E7200 2.4 GHz, GF 460GX, old RAM (4 GB) at 800 MHz, has to run smoothly in full HD), doesn't use the illegal racing cliche, allows you to have fun without following a career and upgrading/replacing cars for money from prizes (don't like this style)?

— Alpha Protocol? I dread to ask but it's ridiculously cheap right now, but I care more about whether it's worth the time anyway.

Please mention if any of the above, in your view, contains prolonged dull moments, relies on XP/gold farming, has a storyline that consists in conquering the whole map, recycles its content for repetitive quests/missions.

Thanks. Please feel free to recommend something from outside the shortlist if you believe there's a good reason to do so.

Thanks.

2. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    — Mount & Blade (and Warband, and Fire & Sword): my chief worry is about playing any sandbox game, basically, does it somehow manage to be interesting anyway, as in something else than farming and getting powerful?
    — King Arthur: the Roleplaying Wargame: same as the two above;
    — Shogun II: impressions?
    — Alpha Protocol? I dread to ask but it's ridiculously cheap right now, but I care more about whether it's worth the time anyway.

I owe the above games and don't consider the money wasted- Most of the games come along with big modding communities and guarantee lots of mods that cater to all kinds of tastes and game modes.
    Which is a big factor for me when buying.

If you need more in-depth info, post here.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Two great casual games: Plants vs. Zombies and World of Goo.

Plants vs. Zombies is a tower defense type game, but also includes other puzzle games. Really al ot of value for the money.

World fo Goo is sort of a goal-based erector set where you have to build a structure to accomplish some goal, usually reaching a certain area past obstacles and the building materials (the goos) have different properties.

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

After NWN1, I don't think any other game for me has kept me enthralled for so long. The expansions are generally well worth it, except maybe the last (although I haven't played since the latest patch), all adding some great extra features to it. It is really a truly amazing game, and I don't say that lightly.

In worrying about time investment, set yourself a goal. Your goal can be as big or as small as you wish - unite the Celtic people under one banner, claim the Iron Crown of Lombardy, form the mighty empire of Japan. The only real necessary investment of time is in coming to grips with some of the systems. For that, the best resource you can find is the EU3 wiki : http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/ It's an invaluable source of information when playing the game.

5. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Great game. Doesn't have all the little and big differences in playstyle compared to Medieval 2 or Rome (haven't played Empire), but is still impressive in its own right and worthy successor of the first game. I haven't seen it in multiplayer, but the versus/coop campaigns and the online "MMO" campaign have the potential to be awesome indeed.

I tried it out for a few missions, and it looked good. Has its problems, apparently, but imo a very good game if you want a spy-flavored game with action and RPG elements, so I recommend it. It reminded me a little of Mass Effect, I guess - not a traditional RP game, but the potential for roleplaying is certainly there.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.