1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Refute the review

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Wizard advocate, Oct 13, 2001.

1. Wizard advocate Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I was wondering whether POR2 was worth buying and went to read a few reviews. But they didn't have anytihng nice to say about it, in fact they kept on complaining about buggy stuff, lack of alot of things, certain programming stupidity. Would any of you care to refute their comments and defend POR2 as cash-worthy?

[This message has been edited by Wizard advocate (edited October 13, 2001).]

2. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  3. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Yeah, download the demo and you can see all the buggy stuff, lack of alot of things, and stupid programming all for youself :nolike: Heh, and all at only 89 mb.:D

But seriously, if you want good roleplaying game, I wouldn't suggest it. If the patches they put out actually do fix the major bugs, then if you're in the mood for some hack and slash based loosly on third edition rules, then it might be worthwhile. There are some people that really see to enjoy it. The garphics and spells are fantastic looking at least. I think it depends on what you want out of a game and what you're willing to put up with. I'd take what the reviewers say info wise to heart and try to make a judgement about the game not based on personal taste but what they actually present as far is info on gameplay.

4. ccbanzai Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I'd been waiting for it for awhile since it was supposed to be the first new game to use the 3rd edition D&D rules.

I bought the collector's edition. Initially I was insenced because it wouldn't run on my home machine with it's GeForce 2 card but would run on my work machine with it's crappy IBM video card. I got new drivers and it worked okay after patch 1.1 came out. Now I have the saved game bug and can't play further (unless I want to start over again) until patch 1.2 comes out.

There were several things they did during design that disappointed me. Most especially not being able to choose your own feats and skills. To me that was what let you customize your character to your personal tastes. The interface is a bit clunky and I have had to restore the game because I accidentally clicked the wrong place in a fight and ended up losing a character. However shortcuts may partially counter that.

A lot of people complain that it's not as good as Baldur's Gate 2. It's not supposed to be. It's Pool of Radiance. A hack and slash game with a loose plot. A remake of the original. But no, it doesn't seem as good as the stuff Black Isle puts out.

My overall recommendation, if you liked the first one (or any of the old gold box ones) then you will probably like it. If you're looking for another Diablo 2 or BG 2 then you'll probably be disappointed. Especially if you get it now before they finish working out the bugs. If you think you might like it then get the demo and wait until most of the patches are out and the bugs are fixed.

[This message has been edited by ccbanzai (edited October 16, 2001).]

5. Majjin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] ..........

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Majjin, I would kindly ask you NOT to post such crap again.

It is one of the rules in this site's FAQ which you can read here: http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/faq.html

If you don't have anything to say, than don't say it - it is simple as that.

[I was just about to say that - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited November 05, 2001).]

7. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Well....I played all of the original "gold box" games when they originially came out. IMHO they were BETTER that POR2.

I would not reccomend buying this game. It's the FIRST time I've ever purched a CRPG that I was not able to finish. Not because it was too hard, but rather because it was so poorly designed. It's not a question of what is wrong with the game, it is rather a question of what is right! I might go back and play the Original Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overloard before I am bored enough to play through POR. Maybe if I downloaded the patch that speeds up combat it would play better, but I think that it's a shame that I would need to do something like that. My god, did they playtest this thing? Not only for bugs but for general playability and excitement! Please let IWD2, NWN, or even another add on like TDD or DSOTSC come out soon.

8. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I agree with ccbanzai on the waiting to check out a D&D game with the new rules and being disappointed that you would not be able to pick your own feats and skills. That was one of the major changes from the old rules to the new. I thought they had already implemented this with TOB. Character development is really not much fun anymore and it takes freaking forever. I gained levels faster in BG1 then I do POR. Is there any worthwile use for money? Can someone let me know how to cast all my available Magic Missles at one target at one time instead of the click fest it is now? Does the speed patch fix the crawling through the dungeon or just the combat? I also applaud Extremist in his quest to maintain focus in writing a walkthrough for this game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.