1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Remakes That Nobody Asked For

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Splunge, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I agree. The first one isn't that old, and is still really funny. I understand people re-making films of the 60s and earlier but 1982? come ON.

3. Gehn Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Good Topic!
    Italien Job and Ring...WHY RE-MAKE FILMS THAT DON'T NEED RE-MAKING, THEY ARE PERFECT AS THEY ARE!? Ahem. I hate Hollywood. It stinks, it stinks! :mad:

4. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    The ring..... I saw both within 2 days of each other. The japanese version.... good but I did fall asleep. (I'll admit I WAS stoned). I really liked the hollywood version, though, so I don't think all hollywood remakes are bad.

5. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

"The night of the living dead". The original was a masterpiece, the remake was crap.

6. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Get Carter with Stallone. Pah-Thet-Ick.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A shot-for-shot remake of Psycho. Lots and lots and lots of pot was smoked in the room where somebody thought that one up.

8. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm a remake of my older brother and I bet you didn't ask for it.
    I actually think this remake ain't bad at all, concidered the first one was marvelous. My parents did a good job making the second one even better.
    It's a shame that only 2 of you have seen me...

:p :p

9. Shazamdude Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'd say George W. is a pretty poor remake of his father--- of course, they both went to war with Saddam, so it's a pretty faithful one to say the least.

10. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Freaky Friday, c'mon, nobody liked the first one anyway. Then you add Jamie Lee Curtis and WOAH, she scares me. Stay the hell away from both versions.

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I thought the 1992 remake of "Night of the Living Dead" was pretty good. Not as good as the original, but pretty good nonetheless.

I watched "Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" last night for the first time in ages!!! What a great movie!! Gene Wilder is classic! I heard they are remaking it.....WHY? Some things should just be left alone.

12. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The new version of "Willy Wonka..." may be quite interesting because I heard somewhere that Tim Burton is attached along with Johnny Depp. Also I heard they're calling it "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" to keep the focus on Charlie rather than Willy.

The only 'remake' of sorts that I really hated was The Exorcist 2000. Even though it wasn't actually a remake. I didn't mind The Ring because of Naomi Watts and I thought Stallone did a passable job of Get Carter (mind you I was half asleep when I saw it) but I've yet to see the original Carter to get a better picture of it.

13. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, I thought the Bourne Identity and the Italian Job were both decent films (I've never seen the original versions though).

Same with Ocean's 11: good movie; but, again, I never saw the original version so I can't really compare the two.

As for Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, I heard the same thing; that Tim Burton and Johnny Depp are both gonna be involved (iirc, Depp's supposed to play Willy Wonka).

14. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Sabrina anyone? Sure Harrison Ford and Julia Ormond were good in the remake but not a bar on Bogart and Hepburn.

15. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Dawn of the Dead.

Its a zombie movie, but don't you dare put it in the same league as anything made by George A.

16. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

No way can Johnny Depp play Willie Wonka! Just thinking about it isn't right. Sure, he's probably crazy enough for the part, but I can't have lustful thoughts about Mr. Wonka. *shivers in disgust* It's just sickening. The first one was great, they don't need to tamper with it.

But, on to the topic. Let's see, a movie that was great and the remake sucked? AH! 101 Dalmations. The first one was the cartoon version, and I loved it as a child. And, the fact that I can still stomach it as an adult must indeed be a testament to the goodness of the movie. But, the live action version was horrific. I almost cried. And let's not even bring up the sequel. Icky.

17. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Romeo & Juliet (1996)

18. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The *American* Ring wasn't too bad at all. Naomi Watts is a feast for the eyes, plus she can act. Bonus!

19. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Has anyone seen the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre? I haven't seen either one, but I'm curious what others think about them.

20. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I saw the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. Pretty decent. But then I was never a fan of the original - too weird and really bad acting for my tastes.

I also felt the Dawn of the Dead remake was better than the original. Scarier. And it kind of made more sense that the zombies managed to overpower everyone as they now run and are a lot harder to kill. The zombies in the original film just shambled around and went down if you hit them hard enough. Better film overall. Not to mention the little zombie girl was downright scary.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.