1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Removing Spell Protection

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by zheng89120, Jan 31, 2002.

1. zheng89120 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ok, so we know that Breach breaches every combat protection (and some element protections), and True Sight dispelles all illusions. But what do you all think is the best way to remove spell protections, I use a secret word or two, and uses my scroll of Ruby Ray of Reversal to remove Spell Traps. This way you can do it at almost any stage of the game, and saves high level slots.

2. My ideal spell protection removal system:

True Sight -> Breach -> Ruby Ray of Reversal

Or Spellstrike will just get rid of everything in one go.

3. Corr Raven Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Spellstrike or Kheleben's Warding Whip

I think, I think I misspelled Khelben... yup. oh wel wht ar yu gana do...

[This message has been edited by Corr Raven (edited February 01, 2002).]

4. I don't think much of KWW. It's just pretty much the same as Breach, but it removes future protections, and it only lasts for 3 rounds.

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It is called Khelben's Warding Whip, and it definetly kicks ass.

It dispells almost everything as Ruby Ray, and yes, it removes THREE highest protections one by one round by round.
    Only two protections the Whip can't dispell and Ruby Ray can are level 9 protections (Spell Trap and Absolute Immunity), but then again, how many enemies cast those?

Breach my *ss.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited February 02, 2002).]

6. Lord Sarevok Guest

I'd save those high level slots for something better. Just use secret word in a spell sequencer if they have multiple protections. Once they start using spell trap whip out the Ruby Ray...

Of course, 99.9% of the time they will cast shadow door, so true sight or something similar is a must, so you can target them.

One of the great things about remove and dispel magic is that you don't actually have to target the mage to cast them, and it's an area of effect spell, so if there are multiple mages it will dispell a lot. Oh, and they're only level 3 :).

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] For Illusions, True Sight or similar is obsolete if you have a thief in your party as I've noted on these boards more times than my spamcounter says.

And IIRC this is thread about removing Spell Protections, not detecting illusions.

8. Xyclos Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

If you really don't want to waste those breach/pierce slots, just get out of his/her sight. 99% of mages in the game never follow you, and then just wait about 30 secs for the most annoying ones to wear away (i.e. mantle).

9. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In the early game I liked to use thrust and pierce magic, they are acceptable but not as great as the ones you people allready mentioned.

10. Lord Sarevok Guest

Oh God Extremist, give me a break. Only reason I mentioned that you would have to detect illusions is that you can't target them with any damn spell protection remover if you don't do it. True Sight, obsolete? It only dispells the ENEMY'S illusions!

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited February 02, 2002).]

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31

You mentioned True Sight and I said it is obsolete with thief in your party.

And I said it is irrelevant for this topic too. You could also mention summoning Hakeashar or Nishruu to deal those enemies, you could also mention summoning some nymphs to help you etc etc...

But the topic is Removing Spell Protections. Not dealing every single possible spell ENEMY casts. Right?

12. Lord Sarevok Guest

Do I have to say it again? Really, do I? I've seen topics swing totally off course, usually ending up having nothing to do with the original question or statement. This is hardly the case. If you can't target the mage, you can't use any of those spells now could you?

13. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Not necessarily. Aerea spells like dispell magic will do that too ... so when you have an inquisitor or a high level mage or cleric you're out fine - their casting dispells everything - illusions included.

Using a spell like that extensively (or shall I say excessively ?) eliminates the need for a true sight - just like proper use of the ability "detect illusion".
    When you have a multiclassed mage-thief and want to dispell the protections of an invisible enemy mage you can detect the mage that way and therefor aim your spell ... I think that's what Extremist was referring to when he said:

And indeed it does :D :p :D

14. fungus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Ok call me thick but my thief has 100 detect ilusion, but how do i use the skill? Do i just use same button as detect trap?

15. I believe the skill works passively, fungus. When in combat, the thief will recognize illusions on sight, one doesn't have to use a spell or anything.

16. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    fungus,
    yes, creudzfeldt-jakob is right. You activate detect traps by using the find traps button (F4 key). Depending on your skill level it can take a short while until you detect your victim - so mind to deactivate KI-scripts since they tend to initiate combat actions that interrupt use of this ability ... especially when you try to find mages and backstabbers in combat ... you cannot fight and detect illusions simultaneously ... ;)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited February 04, 2002).]

17. Lord Sarevok Guest

Sorry about the misunderstanding Extremist, thought you were saying that it would make a backstabbing theif obsolete...

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ragusa/Creudzfeldt, (or anyone else of course! :))

My AI must be turned off while detecting illusions/traps. Does that also count for the thief-adventurer script(constantly detecting traps and ignore when attacked)?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.