1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Roland MT-32 and CM-32

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Ziad, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I just found a Roland MT-32 on sale on Ebay for just £1 (+£10 shipping). No one seems to be bidding on it, and if the price doesn't go up I am thinking of snatching it. I don't need it, and I'll admit it's more of a geeky urge than anything, but for £11... why not. I've got a couple of questions for those who know about these things:

1. The MT-32 has most of the cables, but lacks a power supply. The seller makes it sound as if finding a replacement one will be very easy and cheap. Does anyone know if the module uses a standard power cable, or do Roland have a strange proprietary plug? Also, does it need an adapter, and if it does, what voltage should it be? (that's assuming it does have a universal power plug)

2. The module is supposed to connect to the PC through the MIDI port. Do modern PCs even have one anymore? Can you just plug it through a serial port? the non-USB joystick port that used to be on old sound cards (and that my PC doesn't seem to have)? And finally, how do you make sound come out of the thing? Does it need its own set of speakers, or does the sound come out of those that are plugged directly into my PC? (I don't have an external amplified, my speakers plug directly into the line out)

3. Finally, I've read a bit about the CM-32L (and the CM-64, which seems to be the same thing as far as non-music makers are concerned), and it seems to have more instruments than the MT-32 while still being 100% compatible with it. I've had a search around but cannot find one at all. Any idea how hard it is to get one, especially in the UK?

Many thanks in advance.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.