1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Romances (Haer'Dalis and Aerie)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Demitri, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Demitri Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] In the guide I have mention that "If you have Haer Dalis' and Aerie they will have a little fling, after a while you'll have to challange Haer for Aerie if you want to save the romance". Well I really like Aerie and I thought it would be perfect if some point in the game I had to defend my relationship. Here is my quesiton. By the time I put Haer in my party Me and Aerie were already deep in the romace converstaion. I've had Haer for quite a while now (all the while thinking "yeah keep talking") and finally Aerie tells Haer that she didn't want him to think the wrong thing becuase she has feelings for me. (YES!)But does this mean that I can't kill him? If that's all that's going to happen then I'm dropping him off and picking up Nalia becuase I don't have a thief in my party. I would appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks ahead of time.

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I noticed the fling, but never any actual, uhm, fight between me and Haer'Dalis.

Just a comment to your choice of thief, you should pick up Jan instead, he's way better ;)

You find him in the government district, selling some crackers or something

3. Demitri Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] The official strategy guide for Baldur’s Gate II has a page on romances.
    It warns the player not to have those two charters in the party because you’ll have a fight to the death with Haer if you do. I have the magazine at home otherwise I would write exactly what it says.
    Please if there is any one else with more info on this I would greatly appreciate it. In the mean time I think I do the Whisper Hills quest to kill some time before moving on to Chapter 4

4. zantetsuken Guest

As far as I remember, the developers had Haer' Dalis favored in this romance - it's either you kill him, he takes Aerie, You take Aerie and he disappears, he gets Aerie and they disappear, he gets Aerie but still stays or he kills you and he takes Aerie(which would not be very likely). If you really look up to it there's just no stopping Haer' Dalis, except if you have him off now - right there. (I mean you should dump him and get, as suggested, Jan)
    Conclusion to my opinion?
    Haer' Dalis + Aerie + a male (romanceable)PC = A chain reaction of non-to-great events.

5. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

No, none of that is right at all! It's not even possible to duel Haerdalis to the death over Aerie (though HD does suggest it).

There are two possible chains of events if the PC and Haerdalis are simultaneously wooing Aerie. If the PC's romance reaches Aerie's "do you love me?" dialogue before HD's romance reaches his "do you love me?" dialogue, and the PC says yes he loves her, she will take Haerdalis aside and have that little talk with him that Demitri saw. HD takes this well, staying with the party and joking about maybe playing at your wedding someday. That's the end of the subplot; Aerie is yours forevermore (or until you sleep with Phaere, depending. *wink*)

If HD's romance reaches the "do you love me?" stage first, however, Aerie will decline to answer him until after she's asked you how you feel about her. If you say you don't love her, she'll go with HD. If you say you do, she'll get upset and say she loves both of you. HD'll pull you aside and try to talk you into letting him have her, and if you won't, he'll challenge you to a duel, but Aerie will get pissed off with him for suggesting this and go with you. Haerdalis will then be heartbroken and leave the party.

The only ways to lose Aerie during this sequence are to be a jerk during the dialogues with her; to tell her you don't love her; to tell HD he can have her; or to insist on the duel and tell Aerie to get out of your way, which will make her get pissed off with you instead of with HD.

6. zantetsuken Guest

So there was another chain that could have led to another reaction???
    Nooooo!!!! Why wasn't I told of this earlier!!!(Rummages around frantically for one of his older yet favorite games spoiled because of this)

7. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

I'm curious, zantetsuken... why was it spoiled? Unless you get Aerie pissed off at you (which, honestly, you can do a half dozen different ways whether Haerdalis is in your party or not), the worst that can happen is that HD leaves your party... which isn't any different an outcome than giving him the boot in favor of Jan, which is what you suggest anyway.

[edit]

Oh, and Demitri, if you're in need of a thief, don't pick up Nalia! She's completely useless as a thief. Little though I like Jan, he's at least a competent thief, unlike Nalia. Imoen, though she won't advance in thief levels, can at least handle the basics (traps and locks) competently. And if you don't have Imoen back yet, there's always Yoshimo, easily the best thief and also good with a bow.

[This message has been edited by tjekanefir (edited September 18, 2001).]

8. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

SPOILER:

Don't get rid of Haer Dalis... he becomes particularly useful in ToB (look up "Enhanced Bard Song" for details).

9. zantetsuken Guest

Ummm... (kicks stone on floor) Haer' Dalis beat me to Aerie's "Do you love me part"... I have no qualms against Haer' Dalis - he's my favorite NPC and so I abandoned the game, thinking this romance would only end to a bad consequence - this romance got me really steamed... :)
    Okay. So, how do I get Aerie to say "Do you love me?" first? Do I leave Haer' Dalis until I hear her say that? And if Haer' Dalis' is already in my game and started his romance, do I have to kick him out for a while while I go with Aerie's romance? I especially like to hear the part on him willing to play at the "wedding"...
    Yup, I haven't seen that dialogue before...
    Thanks in Advance;)

10. Demitri Gems: 1/31

YES! HAH! THANK YOU SO MUCH! This really has put my mind at easy. I already had the dialog about Hear playing at my wedding. It seems that he has given up. Although I would have love a epic battle with the bard, I think this will do. As far as picking up Jan, well... I can't help it... I'm only picking girls for my team. Except for Minsc becuase he seem really cool to hang out with.
    So far I have
    Minsc
    Jaheira
    Aerie
    Viconia
    Haer Dalis' (which will be replaced with Nalia)
    (**please don't hate me but I edited Nalia so she would fullfill all my thiefs needs becuase she really does suck as a thiefs**)
    Being that I have all three possible romances in one group I see alot of catfights. Sweet. Anyway thanks again.

11. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

Zantetsuken, the dialogue you need to get to is (IIRC) lovetalk 32. What may be holding you up is that you need to sleep somewhere to get her "Oh, oh, I feel like collapsing and dying!" whine. A lot of times we adventurers go without sleep a little too much, and that lets HD catch up and pass you. (-:

But if you want to make extra-sure, once HD has started his pitch and woo, you can advance your own romance manually by expiring the timer. Open the console and type

SetGlobal("AerieRomance","global",1)

Then wait 30 seconds or so and she'll start her next speech (except for that "Oh oh I'm so tired" one, which you still need to rest to get).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.