1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RPGs of the year - reported to SP news

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Extremist, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] First, read the SP news on ToB awards: http://www.sorcerers.net/index.php#newsitem1011194221,64435,

Ok, I already posted details on Gamespot winners here: http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum7/HTML/001426.html

What now bothers me is news from pc.ign.com.
    As you can see in SP news ToB is best exp. pack. But Mollusken dropped out the very relevant detail - ToB is the best as Editor's Choice. The best expansion pack as Readers' choice is D2:LoD. I may only gloat.

Oh, yeah, guess which RPG is best in 2001. as both Editor's and Readers' choice?
    Arcanum, of course.
    And runner-up, again in both categories?
    Anachronox.

And you'll ask for Gaming Revolution by which ToB is a working full cRPG game of the year... Hmmmm, if they can't draw a line between Expansion packs and full games, so be it. What a serious site that is...

Finally, you may continue closing your eyes on my praising Arcanum and Anachronox - but that can't make those two vanish just because those are not d&d.
    I'm baaaaaad and I like it! :p :p

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited January 18, 2002).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I think Lord of Destruction is much harder fighting (and beating) than what Arcanum had to be compared with last year.

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Dream on pal!

4. Luan Guest

[​IMG] If it's an RPG awards how does a Diablo expansion get in there. Having a fantast setting and level ups doesn't make it an RPG.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have tried to play Arcanum but I must say that its not a very good game. Everytime I started it I ended up playing BG2 for the gaziollionth time instead of finishing Arcanum. I have never played a game with a story line that is so nonexistent as Arcanum, you dont care a bit what is happening.Its a very good idea but they should have worked alot more on the storyline and many other things.

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Saying Diablo2 is an RPG is like saying Osma Bin-Laden is a Muslim.

Not exactly, but if you squint *REALLY* *REALLY* hard, then yes; he is.

Anyway, Diablo is a cool game. Diablo2 is pretty cool, but with a lessened plot. Bg2 is a cool game too (even more-so with the KillSword). Heck, Lord of the Rings is an awesome movie (haven't read the book yet; it's still "in work").

But nun hold a glimmer against the Icewind.

The Icewind crushes all...*and* sees then driven before it...*and* listens to the lamentation of the women...

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    joacqin what?! Perhaps you haven't played Arcanum enough to realize the storyline, because it's great! I found uncovering all the mysteries great fun.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I thought the whole uncovering the plot thing quite irritating. I came as far as Roseborough and I still had no idea why my character did what he did and why he should do it. The only reason I played was because it was fun develop my character. The battles were really boring for me. The character system is awesome but I think that the rest of the game need alot more tweaking.

[This message has been edited by joacqin (edited January 19, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.