1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

RPGs with good dialogues, info please share

Discussion in 'Playground' started by chevalier, Oct 16, 2003.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Except those covered here on these boards, of course.

Myself, I know none :(

2. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I haven't played it myself, but Knights of the Old Republic should have pretty good dialogue.

The Quest for Glory series! Humor tinged with seriousness, especially when the series starts to get dark and heavy in part 4. I especially recommend these games to you, Chev. The paladin character is the best way to go through the series! Makes you feel like a hero and all but painfully aware of the sacrifices your companions and allies had to make to ensure the hero's victory. Excellent dialogue, story and decent, though rather unoriginal gameplay. Hopefully you can find the boxed set somewhere. They're really old, though.

Ah, those were the days when my alignment did not have an E in it.

3. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Easy, Fallout 1 and 2 and Arcanum.

4. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I second Shura's recommendation. Make sure you pick up the CD version of QfG4 - the CD-only dialogues of the three guys in the Mordavian inn are priceless! The voice actor adlibbed them in the studio - the real-time comparison of the voice-over and the printed original text is hilarious.

5. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Knights of the old Republic!!

Da best game evar!! :p

6. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

yeah quest for glory has some really fun dialogue in it and it is a fun game. also the monkey island series is quit fun, kinda like QfG. but if you want one where the dialogue and your choices really effects the game, you should play Gabriel Knight 3: blood of the sacred, blood of the damned.

7. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but Gabriel Knight 3 is an adventure game, not a rpg. I'm not saying it isn't a good game though. But for dialouge orientated games, the Fallouts stands out most in my oppinion. It is possible to play the diplomat in those games, and your stats have a huge impact on what topics you can talk with people about. (Try playing with a int of 3 or lower!) In Fallout 2 you are even able to seduce a lot of men if playing as a woman....

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I remember those options from Fallout 2 - 2000 or '1000 and my body'. Bweeeh. There are people in real life who go for such discounts. Heh. Thanks for everything, all :) Please, do write more if you recall something new.

9. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

While Ocarina of Time is one of the best games I've ever played, I wouldn't say the dialouge is all that great. Link seems to be an incurable mute, and doesn't actually say much (his speaking is filled in with ...). Some of the things that the NPCs say are pretty cool, but you yourself don't actually say anything.
    But play it anyway, as it kicks arse.

11. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The storyline in Bard's Tale 3 is infused with tragedy, and treachery. Game mechanics and rules system is very dated. But for sheer depth and dialogue, I still think it remains equalled by few.

Dialogue in the Dark Sun games weren't bad.

12. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

:yot: well Quest for glory, monkey island and gabriel knight are all adventure games. but hey...they still have good dialogue and all

13. Shura Gems: 25/31

You have to choose a character class in Quest For Glory and 'level' your PC up by fighting and completing quests.

That's an RPG.

14. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

hell no it isn't, the only char who has to fight is the fighter, qfg is an adventure with some rpg elements in it. admitted you have to level up your stats and so on, but htat is about the only rpg elements. the game it self is an adventure, just like monkey island, gabriel knight, kings quest and so on.

15. Shura Gems: 25/31

Regarding the above post:
    Vehemence + Ignorance will be met appropriately.
    (I'm not about to accuse anyone of stupidity until it's clearly proven. Till then, I shall use the term 'ignorance'.)

Even the thief has to practice and build up his skills, chump. They need to buy daggers, equipment and potions. Mages need to buy spells, cast defensive magics and increase their arcane skills through combat or practice. Fighters need to upgrade their weapons and increase their battle skills through fighting or practice. Paladins need to watch their behavior and act honorably always, even in combat. You cannot attack a vulnerable creature if you're a paladin, no matter how vile that monster is or you lose your powers. You have to wait until that monster is ready and on equal footing with you before you continue fighting. The paladin also has gain more of his godly powers through heroic deeds, beyond the scope of the other 3 classes.

If that isn't an RPG, the pope isn't catholic.

It's an adventure game no doubt. But it's also very much an RPG unlike Gabriel Knight and Monkey Island.

Hence, QFG qualifies under the category of RPG with good dialogue.

16. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Preach it, Shura!

17. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

:yot: it actually looks like we have almost the same opinion, you call it an rpg because you have to lvl up and role play alot. i call it an adventure game because that is what the box i got it in calls it and because of the adventure all the classic adventure game things it has in it. ....and thank you for the very arrogant way of calling me stupid, i liked that. :yot:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.