1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Scary Movie List

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by kuemper, Oct 31, 2005.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] It's that time of the year when I start looking for creepy, scary movies to watch. I saw The Shining Saturday, which wasn't as frightening as when I was 10.

Here are the ones I find the scariest, creepiest and most likely to keep my awake during the night.

1. The Exorcist - Hands down, the one that keeps me up. Regan gives me the willies when she walks downstairs like a crab on acid.

2. The Fog - I watched this in the afternoon on UHF tv. I walked home from the store that night, in the fog, and I pretty much ran hell bent for leather. :D

3. Halloween - Not so much for the movie, but that theme music. :shudder: Makes me want to jump into the nearest closet. I think it was Halloween: H2O that has a sceen of Michael Meyers walking through a rest stop bathroom and there's a mom and daughter using the facilities. The camera view through the crack in the door of seeing Michael walk by...

4. The Grudge - I haven't seen the original Japanese version, but the actress who played the dead wife was too good at her job! :mommy:

5. American Werewolf in London - Love this movie! The scene of the 2 men in the pub, listening to the stories of the regular patrons is great. Also, when they get attacked by 'something' I was glad to see that I didn't see for certain what had jumped them.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    First, I really don't like gory movies. They lack vision and substitute sickening visuals for suspense. Hence my list is:

1. Psycho. I liked the story of a movie critic who said he knew what fear smelled like after walking into the second-ever showing of Psycho.

2. The Haunting. The original, not that poor remake with Zeta-Jones-Douglas.

3. The Birds. The first time I watched this a damn bird flew into the window at nearly midnight.

4. Silence of the Lambs. Jame Gumb is just weird enough to be believable.

5. Anything with Barney. Purple dinosaurs scare me.

I classify American Werewolf in London in the same category as Army of Darkness and The Frighteners -- not that scary, but a lot of fun to watch.

My favorite Holloween movie is The Nightmare Before Christmas.

3. Newfie Banned

Great topic, Kuemper:

I. The Exorcist- THE greatest horror movie of all time. It works on a different level than the rest, the unknown and the celebral; that could turn a sweet little girl into the stuff nightmares are made of. So many scary scenes especially the one she comes down the stairs bent over backward like a spider. Definitely not to be watched alone at home in the night.

2. Salem's Lot (the original)- I seen this when I was a kid and I had nightmares about it for years after. The scene where the kid vampire forms in the fog outside his friends window and scratches to let him in is just terrifying for a kid to watch. Another great scene is where the guys are waiting in the morgue for the vampire to wake and the sheet starts twitching.

3. The Changeling - The scene with the drowning kid in the middle of the floor is one of the scariest scenes ever, hands down. That wheelchair going on it's own is damn creepy too.

4. Black Christmas - a relatively unknown, low budget Canadian thriller but the use of the camera work and the unknown in the attic makes this a real spooker. The term "Don't go up the stairs" should have been coined from this one.

5. The Devil's Rejects - relatively new, but damn if it don't have the scariest nut jobs in a horror movie ever. And what's really scary is there are people out there like this. Not to be watched if you don't like cutting.

6. Honourable mention: The Grudge, Alien, the first half of Amityville 2: The Possesion, Jeepers Creepers 1 and 2, Exorcist 3, Blair Witch Project, Wrong Turn and Dawn of the Dead

[ November 01, 2005, 00:30: Message edited by: Newfie ]

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The Omen. I was pretty young when I watched it, and it freaked me out. It's also got a string of bizarre coincidences and accidents associated with shooting, which makes it even creepier.

Arachnophobia - now I was WAY too young when I saw that, and had nightmare for weeks in a row. My father had seen the movie and liked it, and it was his idea we watch it. I think it took him a while to forgive himself :D

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

1. The Omen - even the music is scary
    2. What Lies Beneath - seemingly innocuous film but very creepy if you happen to be sitting at home by yourself
    3. Candyman - I dare you to say his name at the mirror
    4. Blair Witch Project - not sure how well it would stand up to a repeat viewing but was creepy as anything first time around
    5. The Sixth Sense - especially when he is hiding in his tent

6. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@kuemper

The Grudge? You are right about the scary woman, but the rest of the movie sucked and wasn't scary, I think SMG ruined it! The Japanese version was scary! And iirc The woman is played by the same actress. she sure is scary...

Other scary movies:

The Ring: I'm still having troubels entering rooms with televisions in it some times.

Blair Witch 2: Not many people will agree with me, but I think the concept behind this movie was really scary, to bad it didn't translate so well in the movie.

7. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Evil Dead Trap - A great pre-ring Japanese horror

Black Christmas - This one is popular in Ireland Newfie

9 Dead Gay Guys - N.Irish humour at its finest!

The Ring series - original of course

Dementia 13 - A Irish horror that I have yet to see, but I really hope it makes my top 10

Beyond the door 2 - Excellent Italian horror

Zombie Flesh Eaters - ditto

Night of the living dead - A zombie movie with a great social message

Psycho - The original and best slasher movie

The Audition - one word for this one - wow!

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Blair Witch 2?!?! Aaargh - that is the worst movie of all time. Just terrible!

9. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

1.The Omen
    2.Christine
    3.The Exorcist
    4.Night of the living dead
    5.Nosferatu

10. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

The Japanese version was better, but IMO neither were scary.

And the exorcist was a bad movie... I just didn't like it.

Silence of the Lambs, hands down, is one of the scariest movies ever!

11. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    What about IT? Clowns were never the same after that!

Alien deserves to be up here too just for the egg hatching scene alone. Scared me like no other horror movies ever could when I was younger.

Freddy Krueger scared the hell out of me when I was younger too and at that age, its hard enough to sleep at night! I can't remember which, but the one with the haunted house tops it for me. And that song! That cursed song!

The Thing. Trapped in the middle of nowhere. checked. Scared paranoid people with guns, checked. Killer alien that looks like everyone else, checked.

Definitely have alot more scary ones on my list... just can't think of them on the spur of the moment.

@Cuchulainn
    Yeah, The Audition was so wrong and warped! Truly creepy.

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I remember being scared by IT, but I watched it recently and it was incredibly cheesy.

@ Faye, thats why I love Asian cinema, they go where no westerner would dare venture...

I am sure I don't need to mention Visitor Q!

13. Faye

Media:
    Lol, being Asian myself, I know what you mean :pope:

Haven't watched Visitor Q tho, how is it?

Another one that I remembered. Child's Play, in the first one (for me, Child's Play stopped at 2. The others were just terrible) where the mother realised that Chucky had no batteries included and picked Chucky up. I really hate dolls. Especially those with porcelain child like faces and beady little eyes. Could never imagine sleeping in a room with tons of dolls staring down at you, never blinking. Creepy.

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

:toofar: Don't read more into what I'm posting than what's there. I liked The Grudge (more because of Ted Raimi :love: ), but the only really scary parts for me were with the actress who plays the wife.

I agree on IT. I always say, 'Hi, Pennywise' or 'Hello, IT' whenever I pass by an open sewer drain. :nuts:

Except for The Grudge, I saw most of my movies when I was a kid or early teen. The Halloween franchise doesn't scare me with the slashy-slashy; it's that damn *music* you hear when Michael hits the scene.

15. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

@Faye, well lets just say that every taboo in society is broken in Visitor Q. Its pure Takashi Miike! I am not sure if I like it or not, but it was well directed.

I liked an old British horror called 'Xtro'. It was very scary at the time (late 80's), but I wonder if it will be as good thesedays...

16. Faye

Media:
    Xtro sounds soooo familiar...

@Kuemper
    I know what you mean, lol. Clowns now really creeps me out.

17. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Clowns did always creep me out, I never thought they were funny, I dispised their red noses and pie throwing!

Penywise was the first clown I liked :)

@Harbourboy
    Yes the movie is bad indeed, but the story is so cool if you think about it. And I loved Kim!

18. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

You might like the clown in Xtro then.

19. Faye

Media:
    Just came to my mind, George Romero's zombie flicks, the old ones (night, dawn and day of the living dead). While not truly scary, they tend to be really dark and bleak and moreso about the decadence of human society and morals than the zombies themselves. Just a tad bit gory for my tastes, but a worthy watch indeed.

20. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I love zombie movies and vampire movies... not always the scariest things out there, but great fun to watch.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.