1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Scientology

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Clixby, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Anyone with a decent measure of common sense would be able to recognise at the very least that Scientology is a scam designed to pull in as much money as possible, but in reality it's much, much worse than that. Scientology is a dangerous, brain-washing cult, which attempts to attack and harass critics in any way possible (see Operation Freakout), actually attempted to infiltrate the US Government at one point (see Operation Snow White), and has been connected to the deaths of dozens of people ( Why Are They Dead?).
    In fact, the only reason they got themselves declared a religion is so they could become tax-exempt. This cult needs to be opposed at every turn, and people need to be made aware of the unfunny truth behind Scientology.

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    My dad is a retired IRS agent who worked exclusively with tax-exempt organizations. Over the years he had many nasty run-ins with church members and the church's attornies. Intimidation was always a part of their strategy. To this day he has an intense hatred of them.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Scientology does suck - it's probably the single religion that if someone told me that they were a member of I would instantly lose all respect for them (well, I might have sympathy for those indoctrinated at a young age - but that's about all). Honestly - who can believe the Xenu story, it's just ... stupid. L. Ron Hubbard must have just been seeing how far he could push it when he came up with it...

Hmm - I suspect that this thread is just going to be one of everyone agreeing that Scientology sucks...

4. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology
    After checking out the wikipedia entry on Scientology, I'm left with the impression there's more to it than that. This thread has technically been religion bashing. But I'm willing to let this pass and leave the thread open because its an opportunity for everybody here to discuss Scientology itself.

Don't get me wrong, Tom Cruise's antics alone are enough to convince me not to embrace Scientology anytime soon. ;) But, I suspect there's another side to this coin as well, and that side should have fair game in this thread if at all possible.

Please, let's not turn this into an all out bashing session.

[ August 28, 2006, 22:14: Message edited by: Beren ]

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Um ... Beren - where in that bit did you get the impression that Scientology may have some redeeming value? I can't see it...

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Isnt L Ron Hubbarb himself on record of having said that he would create a religion to make him rich? I dont have any link and I have only heard it as hearsay but what little I know of scientology he seems to have succeeded.

7. Clixby Gems: 13/31

I'm really not looking to get into an argument with a mod, but I just don't consider Scientology to be a religion, and I did back up everything I said with factual information. I'm not just going "SCIENTOLOGY SUCKS RAAGH!".

It's not like mainstream religions where you get a small percentage of nuts apart from the basically decent majority. The is NO redeeming factor to Scientology. They brainwash members and violently attack critics, and, bottom line, should be stripped of their "religion" status, if not banned completely.

8. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I think that most 'Scientologists' know what they are getting themselves into. Come on, the whole idea of the 'religion' is simply absurd. They just want to be part of something unique, even if it is silly - like Wiccans and Goths.

9. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    One of my friends' brothers got into Scientology. Since then he's basically removed himself from his previous friends, his family and generally society as a whole.

There may be some part of Scientology that would be seen as good, it is just a shame that so much of the group acts so badly.

10. Clixby Gems: 13/31

Apart from the kids that are brought up in Scientologist families, and are basically indocrtinated into believing everything posited by L.Ron Hubbard and that Psychologists want to stop you from getting rid of your Thetans because they're in league with the Dark Lord Xenu.

Did you know that, apparently, if you get rid of your Thetans and become "Clear", you gain superpowers? That's right; flight, psychic healing, telekinesis, you name it. Of course, these people won't DEMONSTRATE their powers to the media, since that'd just, like, prove that Scientology is right, wouldn't it?
    And that'd be way too easy.

11. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    what is the world coming to when you can just 'make up' a religion.

mainstream religions come from a day where people were generally stupid and would believe anything they were told, and to this day have always been incontrol of masses. but today, new 'religions' shouldnt be given the time of day by any orgisanisation that is put in place to represent its people- they have no evidence to back up their claims, and as a whole do not control any majority of voters.

im signing up as a jedi

or vampireism.... that could be fun

12. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I don't personally see any redeeming value in it myself. ;) But it does, after a quick glance on my part, apparently have a belief system and theology.

So far people are content to point out what they don't like about Scientology itself, and that's just fine with me. I guess what I'm trying to say is ... let's not be too overtly nasty and/or venomous about it. And should somebody happen to chime in support for Scientology in this thread, all due respect there as well. :)

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I've been wondering when this topic would come up. I keep forgetting to raise it myself.

I wonder if there are any Scientologists on the Boards. Given the fanatsy sci-fi nature of the beliefs, you'd think Scientologists would be right into DnD and stuff like that.

I once got seduced into going to a Scientology meeting as a teenager. They got me in my offering a free IQ test, which my vanity prevented me from refusing. Unfortunately, I escaped before I could find out anything interesting.

14. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31

In Scientology's early years it was basically just a pseudo-psychological thing called Dianetics. Hubbard opened Dianetics centers across the country and charged people money for "counseling." Once the IRS and FDA got a whiff of this they came after him for not paying taxes on all the money he was raking in and for practicing medicine without a license.

So Hubbard did the most brilliant thing anyone in his position could do: declared Dianetics a religion (renamed it Scientology) and thus, the IRS and FDA couldn't touch him.

And, as you've just done, he shieled his crooked organization from criticism because --gasp-- criticizing Scientology is hate speech.

This is the problem I have with this notion that we can't criticize --or "bash"-- religion. If I said I hate white people, just because, those beliefs would be fair game for debate. However, if I said I hate white people because my religion's holy scriptures say they're the spawn of Satan, then you musn't dare criticize my beliefs, no matter how ignorant, hateful or irrational those beliefs are, simply because I've cloaked them in religion. It's absurd.

15. Clixby Gems: 13/31

I think what Beren is trying to say is not to be frothing-at-the-mouth AAARGH SCIENTOLOGY IS THE FAGOTS without bringing forth an actual argument as to why it is "the fagots". there's no problem with criticism, it's just baseless trolling that's the problem.

Well, for one thing, I'd assume that anyone on these boards are smart enough to stay away from it, really.

16. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I agree with Clixby. Scientology might be called a religion, but it's one of the most dangerous cults ever.

I view any scientologist as someone seriously mentally disturbed. Or just someone really, really stupid.

17. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well, at least it gives some people a sense of superiority and confidence that they usually wouldn't have had if they were in normal society... heh.

Scientology also is beneficial for us non-members in that it gives us an obvious group to say "At least I'm not a <something>." so we can feel good about ourselves.

Hey, the world needs losers otherwise there could be no winners :)

18. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I'm quite skeptical of Scientology. The bit about aliens and superpowers just seems too bizzare. I suspect that they are trying to exploit scientific principles to prey upon vulnerable...

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sorry, what scientific principles?

20. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

That Superman really DID come from Krypton!

I guess they're using the scientific principles that many religions hide behind "If you can't DISPROVE it then it HAS to be real."

Although to use the name 'Scientology' obviously referring to the school of science as the name of a religion would give the first impression that they're a religion devoted TO science. However one quickly realises that most of what they say is bogus yet it gets the attention of those who know next to nothing about the various religions.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.