1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Searching for short Adventure

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Shadowcouncil, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Heya! I have the following question:

We start a new campaign this week (at least we create the characters and discuss some things this week)

The DM has not very much time at the moment and is still busy with the adventure. Two people have no experience with the game and I have only some experience with the rules (played BG 1 and 2 many times) but no real D&D experience. To give the DM some more time and to give ourselves some experiences it seemed good to me and the rest to start with a small defaul adventure. That means an adventure wich you can start with level one characters (3 chars). When the maps that are necessary are a little bit detailed, that would be great. The adventure should be not too long, so 10-20 hours playing. So does one of you has such an adventure or do you know one available on the net or a good short adventure for sale?

We want to play this so the DM has more time and we get more experience. When the DM is done with the adventure he is writing now, we will play that adventure with the same characters and levels they have after completing the small adventure...

So, anyone knows a good adventure? I know there are some on the D&D site but wich one is good to play?

2. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hey Headbanger! I see from your post that you've already looked at the D&D site and seen their 'Map of the Week' features. One option for you would be to take those maps and quickly do up some encounter tables and basic descriptions, but that also takes some prep work.

A really good resource is Dungeon magazine (also by WotC) at http://www.wizards.com/dungeon/.

However, you need to subscribe to the magazine, and I don't think they have adventures available on-line. So that's probably more for future reference. The magazine usually has several full-length adventures as well as smaller side adventures good for a couple of hours or so.

If I have some time, I might be able to put together a short, 'quick and dirty' adventure. But I can't promise anything. Sorry :(

3. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I'm glad to hear you are getting into P&P gaming. I assume you are playing 3E D&D so having some practice will help out a lot. It's rather different than the BG games (2E). Here are some adventures that might fit your needs. http://www.citizengames.com/resources.htm

Download the Mini Adventures packs in the D20 fantasy section. The winning adventure is rather good. It's designed for 4 players of level 1 to 3. I think you will do fine with 3 PCs and you can always add an NPC if needs be. I hope this gives you a good start. I have lots of other stuff they are all higher level modules. I hope this works for you. Let me know if you have any questions or problems. And if you uas it how things go.

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited September 24, 2001).]

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Great! Tomorrow we have the first meeting with the D&D group, for character generating and to talk what to do exactly. I will recommend this. I know there are also D&D starting adventures, is it worth to play buy such one or is the adventure on the link good enough?

I love Forgotten Realms and the DM thought it could be cool to buy the Forgotten Realms Expansion. Is this book worth buying it?

Voltric, already thanks for the great advices!

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Headbanger, There are a few FR books. If your DM is going to have the game set in FR I'd highly suggest someone in the group pick up the FR campaign setting book. A excellent discription of everything in the FR. It cover locations, culture, groups, class and race modification, new feats, spells and other info related to FR. There is also the Magic of Faerun book. This one is also good but it can wait until after the campaign is started.

The three core books are a must. I'd also suggest the class expansion books, again these are great for idea about class and prestiege class but they could wait a little while. The only thing you would really want soon is the new spells.

The link I sent in the above post does have some good short adventures. The "winning" one in the mini pack section is a great beginner adventure.

My only issue is your time frame. A 'short' adventure is less than 5 hours. I think the one I pointed out is around 10 hours or so for a new party. Most adventures run 3 to 4 gaming session. With a session going about 6 hours your are looking at about 24 as the outside range. Of course there are some longer ones that will run for months.

I'd suggest trying the character generator CD-ROM to get the feel for how PC are made, but do the real character on paper. I can give you some links for character sheets if you need them. The program is a guide but has some problems when you try to get flexible. i.e. it can't think outside the box.

If you have any gaming questions please let me know and I'll be happy to help out all out. It the least a old gamer can do to get new folks into the world greatest pasttime. Good Luck!

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Thanks. I already expereienced some with generating characters. We already have the Dungeon Master Guide, Players Handbook and Monster Manual. We decided that everybody should decis for themselves if he wants to buy the guide for the class he plays. I will suggest the adventure you recommended.

About the book, I was talking about the Forgotten Realms Campain Setting, the large book with beige/white cover. I will also advice to get that book, for I like the Forgotten Realms and I also think the book contains useful information and good maps etc (it's hard to make very detailed maps as DM) etc.... Tomorrow we have teh first meeting, the generate characters and discuss all this.

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Yes that was the one I was talking about. You can find them all in Tal's 'Fantasy Book' section under the 3rd Edition D&D stuff. You should be OK making character without it but I'd pick it up before you start running adventures. I would like my players make some small changes to their PC after they read the FR book since there are some new things not included in the PHB.

BTW are you the DM or just a player? Have any of you played D&D before. If so 3E feels a little different than 2E. I'd setup some practice combat before hand so they can judge the changes. There is always the "you all have signed up for a turney and the champions get sent on a mission" DM trick. Otherwise there will be some dead bodies lying around rather soon. Are whole party got wiped in the practice session a few times. Not playing 2E might even be an adventage in this case, no habbit to change.

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Yeah we are a rather new group. The DM played D&D 2nd edition two times and was also once DM. The rest hasn't played D&D at all. I am not the DM... I got some experience for I played Baldurs Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 several times and I also studied the rulez a little bit so I know some about 2nd edition rules. The other two have totally no D&D experience and that's why we want to have a starting adventure first, to introduce the DM in 3rd edition instead of 2, to introduce myself in a real D&D game instead of 2nd edition Cbased omputer Game and to introduce the other two in the for them totally new world of D&D.

I have always been a great fan of Fearun and the Forgotten Realms so I will recommend to buy the books and I suppose the others think it's a good idea. The first meeting is where the DM lives, only 5 minuts cycling from the shop where I can buy that book (and that shop is tonight opened till 10 in the evening :)) So we can buy it before we make characters.

I will play a ranger and maybe I also gonna buy the Ranger's Guide. When we decide tonight to play in the forgotten realms, I will start tomorrow with writing some about my Ranger, history, habbits, etc...

9. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Two things on the ranger, first the Rangers & Druids book is not out yet. They plan on it coming out in Jan. 02. My first character in 3E was a ranger and I enjoyed playing them. Second, the ranger concept in the PHB has some issues. I have a copy of a revised ranger class writen by the guy who wrote the PHB. The site I got it off of is closed but I can Email the PDF file to you. I've been using this revised class and I think it more accurately reflect the concept of a 'woodsmen' than the one in the PHB. It give more freedom in choosing feat, because not every Ranger need to dual weild.

I'll send it to your Email list in your profile. Let me know if you had any problem getting it. Look it over with you DM and see what you other think.

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Thanks again my friend. I receeived the file and it contains plots of info, I will print it and read it as soon as I am home.

So we had the first evening yesterday. Created the characters and we have a great group now:

- A dwarven Fighter (Strength 16, Constitution 16, Dexterity 13)
    - Me, an elven Ranger: Strength 15, Dex 15, Wisdom 14, Constitution 13, Charisma 11, Intelligence 10
    - A halfling Rogue: Dexterity 19, Strength 13 and the rest I do not know)
    - A gnome illisionist with 18 on Constitution and 16 on Intelligence.

Well no Cleric in the party so I suppose I have to put much of my skills in Healing.

We will start with the short campaign you adviced and then use the same characters in the new campaign wich will be in Forgotten Realms (We bought the Forgotten Realms Capaign Setting yesterday)

Voltric, do you also have such documents about other classes?

I was actually not planning to become a dual wielder Ranger. I rather prefer to play just with Long Sword and Long Bow. We used the Starting Packages, so I also have a Short Sword for the off-hand, but I suppose I have too much penalties in the beginning when I use that already. However, when you play long sword and long bow, you use your Offhand not, no is there any other good use for it, like wielding a shield?

11. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hi Voltric! :wave: Would you mind dropping that Ranger pdf in the mail for me also? I'd be eternally grateful! :roll:

12. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

I'll forward it to you!

13. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] I'm glad to hear things started off well. Sounds like a good party. 2 fighter types, a rogue and a mage. Also a good racial mix. Not having a cleric well be a slight problem but you can also load up on heal potions or find a cleric NPC to travel with. The ranger can't cast his first healing spell until 6th or 7th level (I can't remember which) so if will be all healing skill and natural healing for a while. I do like the new regaining HP rules that take level into account.

If you didn't use the character gen CD to make PCs - a good choice - here are some good character sheets to use. Character Shetts The 'form' version let you fill in the PDF and it does a lot of the math for you. Enjoy and let me know how the adventure goes. In addition there is a Faerun version for your FR campaign setting.

Enjoy and let me know how the adventure goes.

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited September 28, 2001).]

14. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] I'd like to jump on the bandwagon and request a copy of that PDF. :) I have an elven ranger who devotes all his time to archery and thus has no need of dual wielding. Thanks in advance!

15. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Thanks again. Indeed, I hope that we will find a NPC cleric during the game, first, let's see how things go and when there are problems I suppose the DM can fix that :)
    Thanks for the site, we already have character sheets downloaded but these ones look better and I think things like the Spell Sheet are very necessary for our mage. Yeah, wednesday we play again and I will tell you so now and then how things are going!

For Capstone and anyone that wants this Ranger-PDF file I uploaded it to my webspace. You can download it here

16. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Hmmmmm.... giving me some major plugin errors, such that I can't even see the page...

17. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

What version of Acrobat Reader is installed? Download the newest version (5.01 I suppose)

I have no problems with opening the page... can someone else try it????

18. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Got it! Had to be kind of tricky about it, but everything's good now. Thanks!!

19. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

So what was he exact problem? I choose for my character as feat Point Blank Shot and used my skill points for Healing, Wilderness Lore, Use Rope, Knowledge of Nature, spot and Intuit Direction. Especially Healing is important for we have no ranger in our party.

20. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] To be honest, I don't know why the Acrobat plugin didn't work... maybe it didn't integrate with IE or something. Anyway, I right-clicked on the link and saved target to my desktop, then opened the file with Reader that way. No more problems! :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.