1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Secret Laws

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Ragusa, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Americans can now be obligated to comply with legally-binding regulations that are unknown to them, and that indeed they are forbidden to know.

A new report from the Congressional Research Service describes with welcome clarity how, by altering a few words in the Homeland Security Act, Congress "significantly broadened" the government's authority to generate "sensitive security information," including an entire system of "security directives" that are beyond public scrutiny.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/news/secrecy/2004/11/111404.html

Now that sounds fun, doesn't it?

• You're not allowed to fly.
    • Why?
    • Because you're not meeting the requirements of the law.
    • Which law?
    • I'm not allowed to tell you.
    • But how can I get legal protection against executive action when I don't know based on what you acted?
    • That is your problem.
    That's not exactly how I understand the rule of law. The citizens possibility of knowledge of the law is crucial part of it - if it isn't the whole affair get's kafkaesque quite fast.

How are people supposed to follow laws if they don't know what they are?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Good one. I really hate being on double-secret probation.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    That one was even better :)

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Ragusa, if you spent half the time on SOLVING Germany's problems as you do in ferreting out America's problems, there'd be a new global superpower. :rolleyes:

5. Ragusa

Media:
    Well, it may be that I, as a historically literate German, I'm wary about administrations expanding executive powers and ruling by decree and historical somesuch thingies ... nevermind ... :shake:

And as a lawyer I find such developments questionable, under the perspective of: How to achieve *effective* legal protection against executive misconduct? Or against administrative errors.

What when you happen to no more be allowed to fly and they tell you to consult the agency that put you on the no-fly list, which is, of course, secret - so that you're screwed and have to ask them all. Hopefully you don't overlook the right one in the US agency jungle :roll: :spin: and find an officer who won't refuse your request because you filled the respective form wrong on the third copy on page 23 of 24 :shake:

Just a point.

PS: And trust me Rally, I don't spend that much time on it to be able to solve Germany's problems instead :shake:

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    We did have such laws in Poland. No fun. Right now, only parts of the reasoning administrative authorities are obligated to provide, can be secret, and only if given Secret/Top Secret clause by competent authority. The court can still decide there's no reason to keep it secret from the citizen and nothing can be held in secret from the court.

Also, any and all administrative decision (act) must be based on universally binding law, i.e. affecting an abstract circle of subjects, which is either a parliament bill or delegated legislation of the executive - this means enactments of ministers or heads of the most important central organs, but only within the competence expressly granted by a parliament bill, including even guidelines for future executive enactments.

And even given those rigorous limits, we still have problems with people being screwed and not knowing why, if national security comes into play. What if we had such laws as the Congress' newest product? I shudder to think...

It doesn't take a law genius to realise that those secret laws are very, very wrong.

7. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Sounds like the ASIO laws over here:

1. You can be detained without contact for up to 48 hours (and this may be extended by application to the A-G), without charges being laid and with relevant warrants issued only on the basis of suspicion;

2. You are entitled to a lawyer, however, you must name them and the agency reserves the right to veto anybody named;

3. Assuming your lawyer gets in, your right to silence and lawyer-client privileges are severely limited - your lawyer can also be summarily ejected;

4. If you are released, you are unable to effect any form of accountability, as it is an offence to identify an ASIO agent, so your chances of getting recognition for mistreatment or rights violations are sweet FA.

It's pretty living in the land of the free. Sure, you need a new policing response to terrorism, but this is knee-jerk at its most invasive. As a criminologist, I'm aware that any prevention technique can be defeated based on knowledge of the mechanisms and procedures involved. Theoretically, this shouldn't be a problem, and I just know someone is going to use the "if you have nothing to hide..." argument.

Unfortunately, it is differentially applied and this example is just absurd. The potential for abuse is incredible, especially since the inability to know exactly what the law is prevents you from being able to hold people accountable for a breach of your rights (since you can't possibly know what they are empowered to do).

8. Ragusa

Media:
    I find it most striking that the harsh legislation in the US, allegedly in reaction to 911 but much more a compilation of what security hardliners wanted for 10 years anyway, hasn't led to a significant increase in terrorists getting caught or convicted in the US.

The few 'cases' heared of morphed into nothing but hot air once they arrived in court and without exception they threw up questions about serious executive misconduct.

Seen at as a way to improve anti-terrorism policework, the Patriot Act was a complete failure, like most comparable legislations.

When something terrible happens someone has to pay - and it can't be the political leaders of the spooks and soldiers who failed to prevent the incident, it's always that they just didn't have all the tools they needed. And not enough money! And not enough personnel! It's all about "Cover my ass!"

... as the saying goes: The bad craftsman always blames his tools, but in an administration where no one is held accountable for his mistakes, misconduct or conflict of interest that is standard procedure.

[ November 18, 2004, 12:00: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

9. chevalier

Media:
    What NonSequitur has described looks surprisingly so much like the practices that make a country bad and qualify it for axis of evil membership.

You know, here in Poland we have lots of ****ty laws and everyone from the president down to deputy secratary in a ministry could be indicted for something, but we would have people on the streets if such legislation were passed. Not to mention international trials.

10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's an interesting thing to say given no acts of terrorism have occurred since then.

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    BTA, can you point to incidents that show conclusively that measures put in place by the Patriot Act were directly responsible for stopping acts of terrorism? (Sincere question, not trying to put you on the spot)

Acts of terrorism are random things, they don't happen on a schedule. Nothing happened in NYC since the 1993 WTC bombing, and we didn't have the Patriot Act in place during that timespan. I'm calling you on an Abuse of Logic penalty. ;)

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No, no I can't. I wasn't trying to imply that it had. I was only pointing out that there are no grounds for calling it a complete failure.

Talk to me about failure when terrorist attacks occur.

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The patriot acts remind me of that Simpson episode where a bear escapes from a circus and scares up the population of Springfield and they demand protection against bears and a huge bear watch is instituted and no more bears! Or when Lisa gives Homer a stone and tells him that it keeps away tigers and he asks her if it works and she tells him: Well have you seen any tigers lately? This makes Homer scream out in joy that he is finally safe from the threat of a tiger attack!

15. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Ragusa and Joacqin: You DO understand American politics :)

It's all about perception and who you can blame....

16. chevalier

Media:
    @BTA: The government could impose a curfew, make a law that all citizens carry IDs all the time and that each homestead be visited by a police officer at least once a month. Someone could still say, "talk to me about failure when terrorist attacks occur".

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I don't quite get your point. Are you trying to say that the Patriot Act infringes on privacy and/or individual's rights and so it's a complete failure with respect to "improving anti-terrorism policework" in the US?

If you are, I don't see it.

You can certainly make the claim that what you describe infringes on individual's rights at the expense of providing better security, but you could hardly claim that such measures were a complete failure with respect to providing better security in the absense of increases in terrorism as proof.

18. chevalier

Media:
    There's no proof whatsoever yet, which is one. Also, it stands a fact that terrorists are experts in avoiding security. It's their job, after all. As a result, security measures applied on all people are bound to be much more inconvenient for an average citizen than for a terrorist. The terrorist has only to stop for a while and find another loophole in the system. The citizen doesn't need a minute loophole, it won't help him. The citizen needs to function in the system on day to day basis.

What is more, such measures are bound to result in greater opposition between "standard" citizens with limited rights and law enforcement agents. The latter will be feared, not trusted. In a society that isn't run by a military dictature, law enforcement needs citizen trust to work. Eventually, terrorists will become an abstract threat compared to obnoxious omnipotent government agents. Ultimately, citizens could even come to think that the terrorist threat is simply part of government propaganda and serves mainly to justify the government's omnipotence. Not like they wouldn't be right to a large extent.

19. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    All of which has nothing to do with the Patriot Act being a complete failure at "improving anti-terrorism policework" or not.

With respect to it being an improvement, it does not matter how inconvenient security measures are; that is an argument completely separate from what I was saying. What matters is whether there is improvement or not. It doesn't even matter if you feel the improvement merits the cost; again that is something seprate from what I have said. All I have said is there are no grounds whatsoever to call the Patriot Act a complete failure with respect to "improving anti-terrorism policework".

And that is not to say that the Patriot Act is full of things that are inconvenient to citizens. Far from it; the bulk of it has nothing to do with infringing on privacy or rights.

What an interesting claim. It says nothing of what you believe one way or the other. Well other than no proof is proof of "something".

20. chevalier

Media:
    The results of enacting such a law, however, are not a separate argument. It can only be argued whether it already is a failure or is yet to be one. History teaches us something, except those of us who won't learn. In my two paragraphs, I explained the natural consequences of this bill becoming law.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.