1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Seeing should not be believing.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Nakia, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    When I was teaching before the personal computer took over the world one of the main things I tried to teach my students was that just because something was printed in a book did not mean it was true. I wanted them to question things and people including me. I was fairly successful sometimes to my chagrin.

Take the numeral 10 what is its name? Aha, did I hear you say ten or the equivalent in your language? Wrong. Try again. You may still be wrong. Numerals are tools and what the numeral stands for may very according to the base used.

Do you tend to assume that because you read or saw something in a book, on TV or the Internet that it is true?

The police have to deal with witnesses and they will tell you what a problem this is. Ten witnesses have ten different view points which may even contradict each other.

On this board I may understand a post completely differently from the way others understand it.

Knowledge grows and changes and we should be open to this growth and change.

2. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Knowledge does change, and so does our understanding of things.

Truth as consensus may be the closest thing to truth we can come up with.

As many people can say that they agree on many things, the problem is that do they have the same understanding of the things that they agree upon.

Different perspectives to even the most commonest of things should be valued. Only by trying to get as many different angles as possible to matters we might be able to discern a nature of things that is most useful for all of us.

I find that open discussion is needed in order to achieve mutual understanding. Disagreement does not rule out mutual understanding.

Bad decisions are made which lead to bad consequences when too many things, like mutual understanding, are taken for granted and discussion isn't considered to be necessary because of that.

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Sadly in this day and age we have to take some things for granted because to do otherwise would be inefficient. Trust is the basis of believing what we read in a book and the fact that if they are found to be lieing they will be held responsiable for doing so.

Indeed, not everything written down is fact but niether is it fiction. The first thing one should look at before believing something is the source. Who is the author? Where did they recieve their education? Is that establishment credible? Who says its credible? What expertise do they have in deciding what is credible or not? Under whose authority? The government eh? Who elected them? I did? Damn. So I'm the person who is responsiable for what is written in some book?

Question everything but don't question EVERY THING. Society is built on trust and you'll find you won't fit in very well when you start to question every thing and you'll spend more time researching where the information comes from than at least absorbing the information. By no means be a sheep and follow something blindly be prepared to trust those who have authority on certain subjects...

4. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Very deep and profound, and I'd say an essential thing to be aware of when one is 'growing up'.

As Abom noted, one would have to eventually build up a 'friends list' of sources to trust as accurate/truthful, else accomplishing ANYTHING would be very difficult, starting from ground zero, as it were.

And on a semi-related note to this, I've occasionally pondered if whether our perceptions are DRASTICALLY different in even simple things like what colours actually appear like to different people. For instance, maybe what we all consider as 'red', appears green to me, but since I've been told "this is red" pretty much from birth, I just call it red.

The most amusing part of that hypothetical example is how would we ever KNOW if this was the case? :lol:

5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Excellent example of a cognitive shortcut. The standard is a decimal, or base 10 system, so ten (ou dix en francais) would be the automatic example. But in binary, it represents 2, and in hexidecimal, it represents 16...

I'm not saying that cognitive shortcuts are a bad thing, because we are bombarded with information at an increasing rate, any shortcut saves us time and lets us process more information...

But do we not reserve the right to receive the new information, ponder and debate it before deciding to accept or reject it? Do we even have the right to reject anything for that matter? Gallileo taught that Earth revolved around the sun, and not the other way around. At first, the pope was furious. This new information did ultimately change the way the Catholic Church views itself in relation to the universe, but it took some time to understand that. It was only after taking that time that such accommodations could be made.

Science gaind information faster than most normal people can assimilate it, and the younger you are, the further behind you start. You eventually have to incorporate the basics into your understanding. Religion has to do the same. Geological evidence suggests that the Earth is about 4. something billion years old. So it wasn't 6 24 hour days, but rather 6 creative periods of unspecified length. Evolution will fit in there somewhere, but forgive us if we're not rushing out to abandon our faith in search of your new information. We'd just like to make it fit within our beliefs...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.