1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Shameless

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by The Great Snook, Feb 2, 2011.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    The family and I have just started watching Shameless on Showtime. I know this is a US remake of a British show. If you get Showtime, I recommend it.

2. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Oh boy! What a shameless plug-in. :grin:

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Why not just put the original UK version on? It's obviously going to be miles better.

Shameless is one of my favourite programs.

4. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    American remakes of Brit shows tend to be bad, to be honest. The only exception I can think of at the moment is The Office, but then it's not hard to beat a show with Ricky Gervais in it.

5. Barmy Army

Media:
    Absolute sacrilege! No way is the US The Office better than the UK original. it just totally missed the point.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Still funny though.

7. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I dislike Gervais to the point that him being there ruined the show for me. Same thing with the spiderman movies and Toby Macguire (sp?), the worst human being alive.

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    Yeah, I see where you are coming from there to be fair. Robert Mugabe, Kim Jong Il and Ian Brady have nothing on Toby Macguire.

9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Interesting question. If I had to hazard a guess the first thing that comes to mind is the British accent. I know plenty of people who just don't understand what is being said. I remember growing up my mom and I didn't have a problem, but my Dad could never understand what was going on. On the same vein there are plenty of words that have different meanings and would cause problems.

The final thought I have is the production qualities. Hollywood just does it better.

10. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    It's strange, I've never met a brit that had trouble understanding a yank accent, but they seem to have a lot of trouble with ours.

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    Introverts.

12. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Some elements of the accent are difficult, but I don't find it to be that big a deal, Here in Canada we get some British shows, but not as many as I would like. I love Black Adder, I enjoy The F Word, and others like 'Allo 'Allo, The Thin Blue LIne, Spooks (called MI-5 here), and a few others are quite entertaining. One reason we might not see more of British television is the licencing agreements, perhaps?

13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Possibly interest and humour crossover as well. I know a previewing of Dads' Army shocked some canadians because of the subject matter.

14. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    And the less said about the american Red Dwarf, the better.

15. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I saw the first episode of Shameless and it was very good. A lot of unexpected characters. I haven't kept up, but they are on On Demand, so next time I have time I will.

16. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I guess that's a matter of taste and heavily influenced by what people are used to. Many French people would say they prefer movies and series from their own country and so would many Asians, I suppose.

In Holland we have a lot of series from both America and England. Everything is subtitled and so language and accents don't matter when I need to understand speech. I prefer English series to American any time. I just love the accent. Listening to American accents is horrible in most cases, though (to me and many other Dutchies) it's better to understand. ;)

Cool thing, btw, that subtitling. Series and movies keep to have that feeling that is caused by speech. American series stay American, English stay English and French stay French, while it's all understandable. We get to understand the country's jokes and customs because we don't change them to our own culture. We don't need to replace an Irishman or Canadian for a Belgian. :)

Thinking of it: Are there series on American or English telly from non-English speaking countries? Like from Sweden, Germany, Denmark, France?

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    I can't think of one. British people tend to have an aversion to sub-titles for some reason. I personally don't mind them at all, but the amount of times I've heard people say "Oh God, sub-titles? If I wanted to read, I'd get a book!". Imbeciles.

And no, Hollywood does not 'do it better'. It just does it louder, crasser and with bigger budgets.

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I.e. better. ;)

The Great Snook likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.