1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Shredding the data on hard drives

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Taluntain, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I'll be retiring my old computer soon, and I have two non-SATA drives in it that I can't transfer over to my new box, so I intend to sell them along with everything else in the box once I copy the data over.

However, I'm well aware that just deleting the data, or even formatting the drives will not actually erase all the data on it, and that if I happened to sell these drives to someone persistent enough, they could recover my old data, which is obviously far too great a security risk than I'd be willing to accept.

So, I assume that there are programs out there that actually handle the process of rewriting the whole drive with useless information so that the drives can be sold to total strangers without worrying about it.

I'm looking for a free and easy to use one, so if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know here.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Govermental security standarts for data says that seven formats will completly swipe all data from the drive. When they get rid of old computers, they do seven formats to shred all the sensitive data.

Just get a DOS boot disk with format on it, and do it like 10 times and all data will be gone forever.

4. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Webroot Window Washer does similar things. Although it does require that you eventually buy it, it gives a 30 day trial period (which is more than enough to do what you need to do).

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

A really powerful electron magnet.

6. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Magma, that will definetly work, of course it would probably lower the resale value considerably.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    BTA, thanks, I'll check it out. Thanks for the other suggestions too, everyone.

Disciple of The Watch, I've got some better things to do with my time than to format 2 drives 10 times each for the little money I'll get for them. :shake:

Actually, on second thought, I might just donate the drives throughout the family. :D

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I've not used it, but I've heard good things about this one:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/SDelete.html

If you check this page in Wikipedia there's several others linked from it, including some cross-platform ones. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_wiping

By the way, passing a magnet will not destroy the data. The only way to ensure it's all gone is to physically melt the plates, at which point your HD's worthless :)

I think doing a low-level format is another option. IIRC, low-level formats will (well, they should) replace all the data with 0, which essentially means that nothing is recoverable. I'm not sure this is still the way formatting works though.

9. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

DoTW:

Which government's security standard is that? I would like to get some of their old discs ;)

Because, a simple format will just set up a fresh file system and leave the actual data intact. IIRC, US DoD standards specify that you have to write a different bit pattern three times over the disc, top secret drives are to be destroyed completely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutmann_method - Wiki entry about Peter Gutmann’s algorithm, that some wipe tools use.

10. Chas Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The 'DoD certified' disk wipe method is no more. Now when a government owned PC is retired, the HD's MUST be removed, physically taken apart and the platters sent to a department that will shred them. This is for any computer, even if it never had any classified data on it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.