1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sid Meier's Pirates

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Has this been released yet? If not, does anyone know when the release date is?

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It is being released November 22nd.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Hot damn! Something to spend my $50 gift certificate to Amazon on! Through SP of course.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  5. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Damnit.

I want to get this game. But Amazon seriously pissed me off with the last game I bought from them, and I have a serious dis-Respect with Atari going on these days. It's like voting for Bush. Do I really want to vote for Bush?
    I'm going to have to think about this one for a couple days...

---

[edit: Ok, ok. I broke down and picked it up. Those bastards.

Anyways, I played the Apple //e version (I still have the original map), and later the Apple //gs and PC versions.

This game seriously captures everything in the original. You can tell the console "mini-games" and "trinket collection" aspects were fit into it, but they don't detract from the game at all; in a few places they add to it, so it was worked in well.

I've only been playing for a few hours. The most AWKward part is the complete lack of voices. The cutscenes will throw everyone off from the lack of voice actors; and the movies/cutscenes are in bad need of voices. They've got plenty of room left on the DVD, so I don't know why they didn't shove some .ogg in there and just use the design team to do the voices.

So, the ship battles are quite a bit tougher. Used to be, I could nail galleon after galleon with either a sloop or a pennance; and not take a single hit (you were dead in a pinnance after one shot; I used to outright sink them just to piss everyone off). There's tons of ship upgrades, and you'll need them all. You can capture an "elite" cook and gunner, which keeps your men happier and reloads cannons faster (respectively).

I will also note that hex-editing the gold is just as easy as it ever has been. Haven't bothered hexing out the ships yet. There are 27 different ships; one smaller than a pinnance, and the largest a "Treasure Galleon".

---

It's tweaked. The graphics are detailed. You feel the achievement of earning titles. The cutscenes will throw you off (otherwise known as vertigo). The cleavage is so enormous as to be sacreligious. The sword fighting occurs at a breakneak speed, so you really want a Geforce4 MX to play this game with (I cranked my AA/AF way up). You'll play it several times. The ship battles have the highest learning curve, but they aren't all that bad.

Excellent for n00bs. Very sweet for veterans.

Get it. ]

[ November 25, 2004, 16:32: Message edited by: ejsmith ]

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have got it as well and it is really fun. I never played the original but am seriously enjoying the remake. It may not be a game you put hundreds of hours into but the hours you do put into it are very entertaining. Now, I just have to find a governors daughter who isnt ugly as sin.

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I find some of the plain chicks more attractive than the snobby-looking "beautiful" chicks. Although I do like their facial expressions during the dances; very realistic.

8. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

How much replay value? It looks fairly repetitive, although nonlinear.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am sure you can play through a few careers but not an infinite amount like in civ for instance. It will get old after a time. There are basically only seven different aspects in the game. Sailing, battling, fencing, trading, dancing, invading and treasure hunting.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.