1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Single Core CPU + RAM Life Expectancy?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Death Rabbit, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Here is my current setup, as some of you may be familiar with:

AMD FX-55 @ 2.61mhz
    nVidia 7900GS @ 256mb DDR3
    ABIT K8N SLi 939 mobo
    1gb PC3200 (DDR 400) RAM

Now, on a whim, I just did a bit of bidding on Ebay and was able to acquire an nVidia 8800 Ultra w/ 768mb DDR3 in like-new condition, for a little under half what a brand-new version goes for. I think it's safe to say my GPU needs are taken care of for the foreseeable future. (On that note, if anyone is interested in purchasing my 7900GS, drop me a PM - it's in tip-top shape).

My current thoughts are that at the very least, I'll need to pick up at least another Gb of RAM, and since PC3200 RAM is fairly cheap these days I can get 2 more gigs for around $60, not too shabby. But I'm wondering if that's a bad investment.

I'd like to get all the milage I can out of the current mobo and processor, since I bought them just under a year and a half ago. I'm also loath to upgrade further, since replacing either the mobo or processor means replacing the mobo, processor AND RAM all at once, and for a decent dual core and 2gb RAM we're talking a further $500 upgrade at least. But I also understand that my processor (one of the fastest of the single cores) and my older RAM (DDR400) may drag down and/or nullify the horsepower of the new GPU. Can I compensate for the RAM's relative weakness by simply adding MORE RAM? Does it work that way?

Thoughts? Thanks a pantload in advance.

FOLLOWUP QUESTION: The tech specs on my current mobo indicate that it's compatible with Athlon 64 X2 processors, which are dual-core, but I can't seem to find one that will work with a socket 939 mobo, at least not on NewEgg. This may be the ticket 1-2 months down the road if I can find a good dual-core here. Thoughts?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What do you use your computer for? If you're mainly concerned about games, most are not limited by the CPU, so I wouldn't worry about it. Adding RAM helps because the biggest bottleneck is typically the HDD, so the less you have to go to the HDD the better.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    These days, the PC mostly for gaming. I have a MacBook Pro that I use primarily for work, but I still use the PC for web design (since it needs to look nice and function well on both platforms, and over 90% of all users are PC based).

So more RAM is the key, then? That's what I'm hoping, anyway. Also - I realize that DDR400 RAM is inferior to the newer types like DDR1333. But can adding more RAM compensate for it? For example: is 3GB of DDR400 just as good as 1.5GB of DDR1333 or something similar? And if not, would I notice much of a difference anyway?

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Typically you would notice a big difference if your RAM limitation was causing you to have to do more page swaps to the HDD than if you had more RAM. RAM speed will make a difference, but I would say not that big of a difference that you should care that much.

And of course for games the speed of your video board makes a big difference, so that 8800 Ultra should be good.

5. Death Rabbit

Media:
    So then, does a faster HDD make a big difference? I'm actually due for an upgrade there quite soon...

6. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Yeah, but from what I've heard the benefit of the 10K RPM drives is not worth the expense.

7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

He could be going from IEDE to SATA II HDD.

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    No new 939. second hand only. The videocard (8800) is overkill on this board. Videcard scaling makes it perform less than it can. The question is hao much do you have to pay for it? Just as much as the far cheaper new ati card that almost outperforms it? If the price is right it can be used later on a new motherboard.

As for the HDD.

9. Death Rabbit

Media:
    I have an IED drive. I've never tried to hook up an SATA II drive. But then, if there's a good reason to prefer one over the other I may take that into account when I do buy a new one...

10. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

The 8800GT Ultra uses the standard 16x PCI-e; there is no waste in his motherboard. He will get the maximum performance from that card. As for RAM, definitely spend the money as it will make a difference.

Death Rabbit, how much for your 7900 card?

11. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Yeah, I think shelling out $60 to triple my RAM is worth it. Doin' it. Also - I'm fairly certain my Mobo is more than qualified to handle the 8800 without any issues.

@ Munchkin - check your PM. :)

12. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

13. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The processor is the bottle neck for the 8800, as is the memory. The 8800 is a good card so no loss there.

Your power supply can feed it?

14. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Yes, I have an Antec Neo HE 500w. The recommended power for a single 8800 (not SLi) is a 450w.

15. Merlanni

Media:
    Antec neo's are good.

16. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

The CPU's good for an year or two.

The IDE hard drive is beginning to be a "bit" old, though.

The memory upgrade would give the best performance upgrade.

17. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

So did you end up just adding more RAM to your system? If so, did you notice any performance gains?

I was going to upgrade the 939 but after pricing out 2GB of RAM and a CPU upgrade it was only $30 more to get the new setup that should last me a few more years, with the expection of the GPU.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.