1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Skald

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by GronkNuts, Apr 26, 2001.

1. GronkNuts Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This seems like a cool class if you have at least a couple fighters. The combot bonus's seem like they would make your fighters very tough. Anybody try it?

Btw. What is the highest level spells a bard can learn?

thanks

2. Christian Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

the maximum spell level a bard can learn is 6

3. Big Bad Bert Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Someone plays a Skald in the multiplayer game I'm in. They do ok.

4. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

If you really want to be a bard, I suggest you give the blade a shot...
    I think he's far more better then the Skald.
    I wanted to be one, until I read that there was one in the game.
    When I found Haer'Dalis, I was disappointed though...
    He only had 52 Hitpoints while my own character already had 105 (Half-orc barbarian, gets d12 per hitpoint roll instead of a Bard's d8 (?))

5. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think bards roll a 1d6 for their hitpoints, just like any other rogue. Rolling 1d8, I believe, is restricted to priests. I could be wrong though.

6. Parvini Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

My first main PC was a bard and he's not that bad... I have a previous post on the matter below somewhere. The only real trouble is that if you want to cast magic with him you can't wear armour so I suggest you get Edwin and a couple of priests if you want him anywhere near the front line.

7. Big Bad Bert Gems: 5/31

There is a particularly good chainmail armour available for Bards and their relevant kits. I believe it's called the Melodic chain.

INFO

The Bards of Melody were a small band of half-elf bardic warriors who entertained and defended scattered elven communities throughout Calimshan. Enchantments allowed only minstrels to wear their armor, the magical links sliding together to produce beautiful melodies as they danced or fought. Unfortunately the Bards of Melody were disbanded hundreds of years ago, and the secret of 'playing' the armor faded with them.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class: 2
    Weight: 12
    Requires: 5 Strength
    Usable By:
    Bard

[This message has been edited by Big Bad Bert (edited April 27, 2001).]

8. Epona Gems: 1/31

Please don't look at Haer'Dalis as a good example of a bard - as has already been said, his hitpoints are really bad.

As far as AC goes, you can't go wrong with a good pair of bracers until you get that melodic chain. Also defensive spells are useful - armour & mirror image at low levels and stoneskin etc etc when available.

Blade kit is best if you want to dual-wield and the offensive spin ability is great. Skald has +1 to hit and damage so is a good all-rounder. Jester is frequently overlooked, but is also a really good kit with unlimited ability to 'confuse' enemies and no restrictions or penalties.

As far as spells go, magic missile is great for bards as the quick casting speed means you can use it in melee, but the real "cherry on top" is 'Tensers Transformation' which will turn your bard into a chopping, slicing, dicing machine.

Other incentives to play a bard - you won't need to waste slots on identify spells and you will have a skilled pickpocket so your thief can concentrate on developing other skills.

9. Amazo Gems: 1/31

So Haer has low hp but I just wanted to ask a question is it my imagination or is it that after metting your party once he has leveled up he gains 100% pickpocket ability cause tht is what happened to me

10. stargazer Gems: 5/31

I prefer skalds because they only get reduced pick-pocket ability as opposed to the blade that has lower lore as well. And ,as I use thieves for stealing, a skald has no disadvantages. After all, bards are useful basically for their lore. Well, that goes only for CRPGs because in P&P they are THE MOST enjoyable characters to play.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.