1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Slackware and the vanishing Ethernet card

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

That's right, it's time for one more episode!

This time, it features Slackware 10.2 and a PPPoE connection.

So! Installing went perfect, and I somehow found a way to get my PPPoE connection up and running after some serious scratching - as Taza said, PPPoE and Slack is "in the land of deep wizardry" - okay, so I'm done browsing around the web, kill my connection, and shut down the machine.

So, this afternoon, after waking up, I fired up the comp, and LO AND BEHOLD, the light indicating a Ethernet connection on my modem is OFF. So, I start X, fire up a terminal, and check what the hell is wrong via ifconfig - guess what, my Ethernet card is gone!

I power down the comp... this time I turn on the modem BEFORE the computer, and BAM, the light turns on. Once again, I start X... and the light turns off again. I fire up a terminal and try to resurrect it with ifconfig eth0 up and dhcpcd eth0, and that just won't work.

Everything worked fine the last evening... so if I understood correctly, under NO circumstances should I power off my modem, under penalty of seeing my Ethernet card vanish? Geez, didn't remembered you were THAT obsessive-compulsive, Slack.

2. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

pun intended?

Only thing I could think of is making sure your ethernet modules are loaded.

3. Disciple of The Watch

Err, no. Not at all...

Actually, I think I might have found the root of the problem... it seems that booting the comp with the modem OFF causes Slack to skip the loading of the ethernet modules - for good, it would seem. I've watched it boot while it still worked fine, and there is some interaction between the modem and the ethernet card during loading.

Regardless, I swiped the HD clean and did a clean (X)ubuntu install until I can find another distro that won't be too heavy on my geriatric P3.

4. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Use Windows.

5. Disciple of The Watch

No. I'm through with Bill and his crappy so-called OS.

I knew scratching my head would be a perfectly normal part of being a Linux user, and that's fine with me, I like learning new stuff.

So sorry, Bill, I've broken free from the ranks of your drones.

6. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

What kernel were you using in slackware? If you were using the default kernel... you really should have compiled v2.6 yourself.

7. Disciple of The Watch

Right-o, so I has some time to kill and I decided to wire an old HD to my machine ans install Slack from there, and this time I powered on the *modem* before the *computer* and everything went just fine, in fact I'm typing this from Slack.

Turns out that if the comp is powered on BEFORE the DSL modem, the Ethernet modules just aren't loaded... and they're a pain to restore.

Oh, and they kernel was 2.14.something.

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I doubt that ;) The Linux kernel is currently at 2.6.*, do you mean 2.4?

9. Disciple of The Watch

:doh: Yeah, 2.4.31. Stupid typo.

*EDIT* Had the wrong kernal version... again. Fixed.

[ March 26, 2007, 23:08: Message edited by: Disciple of The Watch ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.