1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sneak Attack vs Backstab

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by InfinitelyTrue, Oct 3, 2006.

1. InfinitelyTrue Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

hello, i was wondering whether you folks generally preferred sneak attack or liked the original backstab better?

i'm not really all that familiar with d&d min-maxing, but is it generally correct to say that backstab has a higher damage "cap" while sneak attack does better average damage while giving the benefits of crippling strike?

thanks!

edit: oops, i also was wondering...does SA work even vs mobs that are immune to BS damage like constructs and such?

2. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

In Icewind Dale, I much prefer using the original backstab. The damage potential for your T or F\T becomes truely stagering by the end of things. Grab a nice poisoned dagger, pump up your stealth skill and you can make short work of any mage who may pose a problem for the rest of your party. The benefits of sneak attack just don't compare imho; the sneak attack would cause the stat damage from crippling strike while a backstab could chunkify an enemy outright. I'm more inclined to believe that the designers added it in as a novelty (much like the ranger's track ability) when they screwed with the 2nd edition rules and made the game something like AD&D 2.7 or something.

As for whether or not there are immunes, i'm not sure. Other than a few 'huge' classified critters, and maybe the undead (3/4 of the game's enemies), i don't think much out there has immunities. hell, i don't ever recall facing constructs at all in this game but it's been a while.

3. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

If you use your thief for sneaking and killing from the shadows the old backstab rule is more powerful.
    But sneak attack has it's advantadges:

- it improves even after level 13.
    - if you are soloing (especially in HoF mode) and face a monster with many HP the crippling strike will worsen the enemy's thac0 so that you can fight him afterwards without getting hit as often.
    - While you have to hide in shadows for backstabbing you can get in a sneak attack without planning it. As long as another party member is closer your enemy won't face your thief. Such surprise messages are fun.
    - Against the spectral guards in TotL the sneak attack was very useful. They got both hurt and crippled. I didn't use traditional backstabbing, but I don't think you can backstab all the enemies you can sneak attack.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Do sneak attack work with non-thief weapons for MC classes? Sorry, I am away from my IWD game and jut curious:never actually tried it. Can a F/T sneak attack with, say, two handed sword?

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Not in IWD.

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Shame. It could be cool, and this way sneak attack could be very powerful, better than backstab.

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Doesn't matter.
    There are no 2-handed weapons which are as good as the longswords of action +4 anyway.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.