1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

So...how is your campaign world?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Divine Shadow, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] There has been a lot of talk about what fantasy is and FR. How many has designed their own world?

2. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Well I designed a D&D before when I was running a game back in college. Right now I'm playing in 2 3E campaigns both designed by our GMs. Making a world is not that hard. It just takes time and creativity. But making the world is only the begining. You have to be able it run adventures in the world. By this I mean that the world can't stay static once you put PCs into it. You have to keep things changing and updating in order to keep the campaign exciting and powerful. This sounds easier than it is. Mixing the 'little' adventures of the party and the 'big' picture of the world takes a careful and talented hand.

But when you pull it off it's great for the DM and amazing for the PCs.

3. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31

I don't like FR too much,I think that FR is a not too good mix of totally different things. There are a lot of fantasy books, and some of them are very good. So you can use these worlds to make your campaign. It's lot easier than make a whole new world. (And maybe these writers make a better world than you)

4. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I have made my own world. I think that this is better than using a campaign setting because you are the only one who knows about it. With FR, everyone can buy it and knows all about it.

5. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31

[​IMG] Well...the idea actually was to hear about how your campaigns are.
    I'm currently designing my own game.
    I'm experimenting by creating cultures myself as all RPG's is based upon something historical. For example Seldon a land of eternal rain, Froim a land of cold where the paranoid people live in 3 great castles and Redon a land of steppes ruled by orders of elemental knights. Wich brings up another point...this world isn't like Earth.
    Here everyone and everything consist's of earth, water, fire and wind.
    Most of the world isn't even ruled by anyone but barbarians tribes, with a few city states here and there.
    Instead of having gods standing for things like sun, weather war and such I've had them stand for different philosophies.
    8 gods that each tackle goodness their way, 8 gods that each tackle evil their way and of course the balance...Death: The ultimate law.
    Whadda ya think?!

6. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I think it's world i would to play in as it's new and refreshing :D. The world i designed was for the players in my group. I asked them what they wanted from the campaign and what sort of setting they would like to play in. From that i could design it so everyone would enjoy it, and from there began building areas and adventures based on their character concepts to help them feel they were part of the world :).

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Divine Shadow, It sounds like you have some good ideas. Creating different regions for determining facts for them is a good start. I'd start by drawing a map and filling each area in one by one. I think the one key word you said was 'culture'. What make that region interesting? What seperates it from other regions? What type of people live in that area? What are their customs, myths, beliefs, and history? What is their trade, industry, lifestyle based on? What type of political, social, or religious structures do they have? What are their phyical and langague characteristics?

These are all key question you need to answer about each region in your world.

Your idea about gods somes good but I'm a little confused about the elemental things. You said something like everthing is earth, fire, water, and wind. What do you mean by this? How does it related to the world and in game rules?

8. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31

Actually that was just what I did Voltric!
    Great minds think alike! ( Or is it twisted? :D )
    As for the elements...there has always been 4 kind of elementals in fantasy worlds.
    But that doesn't make sense. Why should there be a plane for those...and not for all other elements? So I decided that there are only 4 elements in my world (Elgorn).
    Everything is created by merging two of them.
    Iron = earth+fire Ice= water+cold winds and so on. Creatures are also made of elements.
    They are the descedants of the original creatures (the elementals) and still have elements of it in their behavior.
    Through rituals people can bond with an element and learn to master it or shape it into elementals.
    They are the elementalist's and always act like their element. A fire wizard for example is very hotheaded (hehehe) but fire also stands for passion.
    Some races has more of one element than another. In dwarves earth is strong.
    I just hope I can find a group soon.
    I haven't gamed since I was a munchkin... :(
    Only the (sniff) hope, computer RPG's and this site keeps me from finding another hobby
    :D

9. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I am starting to create a world, but compaired to the Idea posed here It is starting to seem rather lame. O and Divine Shadow you ar'n the only one that has truble getting a groop together any Ideas as to how to do that?

10. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] As for getting a D&D group together or joining one do either of you live near a major college or university? Most have a gaming club or such. Contact the student activities office and ask about clubs or groups on campus. In addition are there any hobby shops around where you live? They may host games or have contacts for groups in your area. I think the WotC website also has a 'find people to play with' section. Good Luck.

11. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31

Thank you I will try that. Still pounding my way through creating my world.

12. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31

[​IMG] Hey I have an idea! You could have an annoying gnome called Dungeonmaster turn up and give cryptic information to the PC's when they are stuck!
    :D

13. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Did he really say that? Divine Shadow I so disappointed in you. :rolleyes:

How many times did they fight Tiamat in that show? :)

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited August 02, 2001).]

14. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31

I hope not that is a rather sortof cheesy method od geting the players un stuck. Un less the litle dude is also the main bad guy and so sends them on a bunch of quest to distract them from finding the bad guy.

15. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Divine Shadow, great reference. And then of course you'd have to have Tiamat and Voltar, Voltran, Whatever the heck his name was, to keep foiling the PCs attempts to return to their old roller coaster ride! Man, I used to wish I could find a roller coaster just like that when I was 12!

16. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31

[​IMG] Ah the memories. It made me really scared of
    haunted houses...I was always afraid of being transported into D&D-world.
    But hey! I was only 7 or 8 at that time.
    Besides his name was Venger.
    It would have been kewl if they had based the D&D movie on that cartoon huh? :D
    Getting the PC's off track?
    Hey remember that episode where those blue baboons disguise themselves as Dungeonmaster?

17. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

And was it just me, or did you want Tiamat just once to eat Uni? Disney-type sidekicks have always bugged. Good memories.

18. gnollgus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I was 13 when the cartoon came out, Unearthed Arcana had just been released, and I hated it. i couldn't enjoy something that had nothing but names in common with my beloved D & D....
    I think I've gotten over it, the therapy is helping :D

19. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

How is the campaing I play in...
    Hmm, let me see. Actually, it's kind of getting boring. :p

20. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Azardu, if you don't like the campaign you are in then leave, get a new DM or run your own campaign. How do the other players feel? How does the DM feel? The final result is that every one needs to be enjoying themselves. Isn't that why you are playing?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.