1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

So long

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by hooligan_inc, Apr 22, 2001.

1. hooligan_inc Guest

Well

My days here are done

Tal, i have upmost respect for you, but I feel that my cheeky little antics are too much for the new and improved BIGGER sorcerer's place

the heavy moderation that is in place leaves a person like me (professional asshole at your service ;)) little space to breathe - althought I suppose it has been deemed necessary

I am going to an uncensored wrestling forum, if anyone wants me, I am;

dad dadle a da da daaaaaaaa!!!:

Gash JerryFlynn4Life
    posting at www.crimsonmask.com

Farewell all! We will meet again someday...maybe not today, hell maybe not tomorrow, but someday.......

GOODBYE MY FRIENDS!!!

2. So long Hooligan mate, It's been a blast.

As Chino would say: "Life's a bitch and then you die, thats why we get high"

Not quite sure if that has any relevance, but what the hell, I like it!

:D

See ya on MSN mate.

3. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I prefer the months that passed but 60+ days ago concerning this forum...

And Hooligan_Inc. I'm gonna miss you and probably most of the other members save a few people.

Anyway, speak to you on msn messenger!

The rise of the Nazis has begun...

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What is it with people getting bruised so easily on a message board? If you get slapped down, take it like a man and laugh it off!

Hooligan - When was the last time you got moderated? As far as I recall that was the first time, but I could be wrong...

Your post was idiocy, though mildly amusing IMO, it was idiocy nonetheless; and with the new influx of tons and tons of idiocy recently, we're just trying to restore a modicum of sanity around here.

All of you have to realize that we (the moderators) read all these posts every day. When post after post is filled with crap, we get a little short with the next pile of crap we run across. Don't take it so personally, just try to do as you're asked and everything will be fine...

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited April 22, 2001).]

5. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Then tell those eye-balls to shut it.

[This message has been edited by Sniper (edited April 22, 2001).]

6. herf Guest

i think its really unfair that all the older, more wiser members are being slapped on the wrists severely for their first offences.
    its not our fucking fault that the shitty dumb ass newbies are so full of crap that theyre getting slapped for every post!
    and moderators, with too much order their is stagnation, a lot of poeple are saying that the boards ar getting boring lately, lay off it for a while, change the wording of the sign up or sumthin so that all newbies *KNOW* that spamming will not be tolerated but dont get on the veterans backs about it!

[sorry bta, this is my post and u should ask bfore u change it]

[This message has been edited by the stupid Blackthorne TA (edited April 22, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by herf (edited April 22, 2001).]

7. I agree with what Sniper and Herf say. I know I'm not a veteran, even if I have been around for a while, but I do think the Boards have become over policed (maybe not the best word :D) recently. I know the newbies haven't helped things, but I think what Tal said went a bit far. It was just a simple joke (maybe not the best, but it made me laugh). Would you have said the same if Hool had just replied to Darien's topic?

I don't know how all this spamming can be resolved but it needs to be done SOON, before we lose anymore valued members.

Like Hooligan said, I also have the utmost respect for the Sorcerers' place team, and I have no doubt that I couldn't do any better, but I just wanted to say my piece.

And no, this isn't a flame (I've yet to post one) :).

EDIT - Maybe you're right BTA, that's a very good point.

[This message has been edited by The Amazing Ooopah (edited April 22, 2001).]

8. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Oooopah, you are a veteren...you've been around since well...as long as me and you post good posts...its not a matter of how many you post...its what the content is contented with.

*Walks up to BTA and slaps him*
    OI! keep outta my scrolls! I didn't say you could edit me!
    *Kicks BTA in the shin*

:p

[Sniper! I don't know what's come over you lately, but you've been cracking me up! :) BTA]

9. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yikes, there sure seems to be alot of victims on the boards these days. There must be a shortage of perspective in the world. When you look at the whole big scheme of things, well, a slap on the wrist by the moderators here just doesn't seem like a big tragedy.

Suck it up guys, I for one won't beg you to stay, but variety in the group is what makes Sorcerer's Place sorta fun :)

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Since herf decided his post is his and removed my commentary, I'll add my comments to herf here:

The reason the "older, more wiser" members may be slapped sooner is because we hope that the veterans would be role models for the newbies. The newbies sometimes don't know any better, but you veterans should! What do you think the newbies are going to say when we moderate them and not you guys? Don't you think the veterans SHOULD be held to a higher standard? You've been around long enough to know what and how much we tolerate...

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Eh, what can I say. I totally agree with BTA on this. Everyone might not be aware of this, but two very big forums dealing with the same games as we do have been closed recently. They were both at least as big if not bigger than ours. And you know why they were closed?
    They have became so overrun with spammers, idiots who post one-liners, illetarate dolts who posted only their signatures, etc. that no one could control them anymore. You get the picture. If we didn't act now, as some of the traffic from them has started coming here, Boards O' Magick would have turned into exactly the same thing. And I for one DEFINITELY don't want that. Maybe I've been a bit too strict lately, but it's all for the greater good of the boards. Maybe you won't thank me for it, but newer members that keep coming here and find these boards clean of all the crap that is usually found on other similar ones certainly will.

All of our veteran members seem to take any moderation against them as a personal insult or damn near injury. Wake up guys! You're no different than anyone else here, you've only been here longer. That's why you get a benefit of the doubt and not a ban on the spot as the new "undesirable element" does. I value all the members that have been with us for a long time, but I will not cry for anyone who will leave just because they were scolded by a moderator or me.

Neither Shura nor Hooligan have been asked to leave nor threatended in any way. We simply gave them a friendly warning, that's all. And if they can't handle that, well, that's too bad but that's how it must be if we are to keep these boards under control.

12. Wingfoot Guest

NOOOOOOO! not me captain. whats a 1st mate supposed to do without a captian. oh well hools i'm sure we'll meet again on the high seas!

13. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ok, I must admit my being hard on Shura from the first day I started spams on this place. And part of community agreed with messages like "ROTFL". Why haven't anyone stopped me then? Later I started to like the guy. And now he probably thinks we all betrayed him. :(

So, Tal. This is my proposal. If this will bring Shura back, please ban me to hell out of this pages!
    Whatever happens, I won't talk of this matter anymore.

14. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] OK, I realize this may be a redundant question, but why is everyone taking this so personal. Now honestly I can't say I won't be offended if I get an email in the middle of the night about a post of mine. I may; I may not. But I won't blow it out of proportion. It's not a personal attack. Hell, I should know as I have been the pun of a moderators sick sense of humor before (please take note: NOT on this site). Being asked or warned to not do something, even if you don't agree with the warning, isn't that bad. And why in the world leave over something like that. I mean, if the veterans leave, it'll leave these boards with nothing but height and intelligence impaired little blue buggers running around giving the moderators migrains. Would all of you rather these fine boards be overrun with nonsense?

Now to the moderators. I can see the points (valid ones at that) of everyone who has been here for so long. Should someone who has been here for so long get warned while there are newbies who have been here for less than a month that have 200+ posts or more still running around surely committing what would be viewed as spam around here? And, if I may say so, a backlash should be expected. The issue of how we post has only become a relevant one recently. Before the avatars and wave of new posters this past month, how we posted wasn't an issue. Sure, if someone posted something offensive, people would complain and the post would be locked or removed. But non sensical posts and witty comments weren't really an issue. Plus the games this site covers are somewhat in a down cycle for the time being. Most of us have had our fill of BG2. Everything else is somewhat old. PoR:2 and NWN are still a ways off. Is it any wonder the whatnots forum is brimming with nonsensical posts. I know I try to post relivant info in other forums, but I can imagine a lot of people who truly enjoy this site and enjoy posting here are somewhat bored with the games available to post about (exceot NWN of course :)).

However, if I may, I'd like to say I see the moderators points. You can't be forced to police some and not others (even though this could be considered a dictatorship ;). If the flood of new posters needs to be cracked down on to save the dignity and community feel of this site (and I strongly feel some of them do), then so be it. I think at least for a little while we can all take it in stride. Come on, hooligan, how bad could the slap on the wrist have been? I would hate to see a mass exodus of some of the people who's company I've enjoyed for the past few months from these boards because of one slap on the wrist.

15. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Slap on the wrist, or repeated slaps in the face?

NO! I'm not saying that this is what the moderators are doing. Let's take it in perspective.

I have great respect for the moderators and users of this board...all the users except for the newbie spammers that is. THINK ABOUT IT! I think this board had one instance of arguments until our population doubled. I'm not saying that the newbies are all bad either.

Like Tal said, two sites have been closed. Where are those loser trouble makers going? You guessed it.

But I have one question,(this looks like it's turning out to be a "what's your beef" topic, so I'll say my own piece).

How come the new spammers are allowed to stay? I couldn't believe it when fatmaka was allowed on the boards after two posts. I didn't think that someone could say the word "fuck" so many times in one paragraph.

So maybe I have a mixed idea of "fair" as far as boards go. Believe me, I couldn't have greater respect for Tal et al. And I have posted less often than just about anyone on this site. Newbies included.

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Well, let me tell you what I personally moderate. I don't really mind the nonsense and BS (or even swearing) being thrown around as long as it's in moderation. When I see post after post of BS one-liners from the same person that aren't really contributing to the threads they're in, then I step in to say cut back a little on the spam. Or when people do things that we have repeatedly asked them not to do, like double posting.

Really, as I've said before, we tolerate some nonsense all in good fun, but post after post of nothing but nonsense or posts that boil down to "Yup" just get to be too much... :)

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Spamming is a problem everywhere. This is the first forum that I've found can control it well. The reason is that you veterans post intelligent posts, when you start spamming a bit, that's when the mods that you know so well ask you to tone it down. It's not really because of the newbies like me i suppose or a question of "keeping us all in line" but more of a gesture to remind you guys that you do gotta set a good example for us as you have been doing. And guys, for chrissakes, it's the net, don't leave bec. some guy doesn't like you, more often than not more people like you than they do him, don't take a reprimand as a personal attack, take it as a gesture, and accept it and listen to it. NoOne in their right mind would hold it against you if you didn't do it again. That's all I have to say :)

18. Sniper Gems: 28/31

I guess...i guess i do agree with the moderators this time...

But tal, about the no threats on hooligan i cannot agree. After all you said something like "One more failed attempt at a joke and i'll ban you on the spot" or something like that...that does not seem like a friendly warning but a threat.

[This message has been edited by Sniper (edited April 23, 2001).]

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Quote: "I'll lock this topic, but if I see another failed attempt at a joke like this, I promise I will take a personal interest in anyone who does it, and BAN THEM ON THE SPOT."

It was directed at everyone, not specifically hooligan. It's not like he's the first to have posted something like that. And actually, I consider that a friendly warning. It's not like I'm using threats of bodily harm anywhere. :D

But sure, I guess you can take it as a threat. As long as you respect it, I don't really care.

20. [​IMG] Tal isn't the worlds greatest diplomat.

Heh ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.