1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

So where is everybody? Hello?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Death Rabbit, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Over 5,500 members here at SP, yet I only see about 50 or so of us who post here on a semi-regular basis. What the dilly? Is there just a bunch of people who register, ask one question in a forum, and never bother again or what?

I understand that life tends to happen; jobs and living situations change, computers explode, people get eaten...but doesn't that seem a little wierd to anyone else? Let's say for sake of arguement there are 200 of us who post regularly. That's only about 4% of the total registered members here (give or take).

Just struck me funny. This isn't me disputing the "5500 members" claim or anything. Anyone else notice this?

:confused:

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

:wave: hello ;)

This is the same with all boards. People register, snoop around, heck perhaps even post once or twice and then forget the board's existance. Others lose their passwords, or simply lose interest. It happens.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I suppose people think other things are more important.

I try to come on here every day. But I suppose other people have more restrictions.

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Everyone else sucks!

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Probably a quarter of people who registered never posted. Some day I might actually bother to delete all the registrants with 0 posts.

6. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Why would someone register but don't post? :confused: :confused: :confused:

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why would somebody register and then not post? Weird…

Anyway, I suspect that the previous posts best sum it up. Or, the non-posters have been captured by aliens :spin:

Edit: Damn, Dungeon_Master posted first :mad:

8. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Happened to me. I created an account but didn't have time to post immediately. The next day I had some connection problems and by the time I got back online I completely forgot the board (for which I'm very sorry :) ).

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, one obvious reason (at least to me) would be that the person in question wanted to vote in/ see the results of a poll that someone included in a post. If you are not a registered member you can do neither. As funny as that may sound I can personally testify that it was the reason why I originally registered.

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    OK, so maybe not so weird. But 25% of the total registered members? Weird... :D

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31

O.K. the 25% figure does seem a bit higher then I would logically have expected but not so far as to rank as weird.

If you do a search of the directory you will find that a large number of the non-posters bothered to fill in personal information for their profiles, THAT in my books IS weird.

12. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    And to think...I thought the only reason you started posting was because of this:

http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=000291;p=1

13. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

And there are actually other things too... I started to post on a semi-regular basis when I first got here and recently my life has been in such an uproar that I can't really rouse myself to do more than read interesting threads. I know there are plenty of other 'regular' posters that have fallen into this at one time or another.

14. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I'm right here actually :confused: , you didn't see me there :p

Maybe (and now I am speaking as a complete newbie on the internet, which I most certainly was and still am) people don't really know what they are registering too, I know I didn't when I first took a look at BOM.

EDIT: oh and Tal, you don't want too delete all those accaunts, 5500 looks so much better than 2500 :D

15. Splunge

Media:
    No offence, Apeman, but I just don’t understand why someone would register for something if they don’t know what that something is. Maybe I’m just paranoid, but I don’t like people on the internet knowing anything about me (through a registration process) unless necessary, so I would want to know whether a site is worthwhile before I register.
    Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to do something about these secret agents who are following me – I can’t see them, but I just know they’re there. :roll:

16. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I find it a real chore to post because by the time I come back online, there is noone here. Time zones suck.

17. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Yeah the times zones are really annoying arn't they. But it doesn't mean people can't still post, they'll only have to wait a longer time for a reply.

18. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, I am sorry for being very busy these days, and going awol for well over a week from this day ion... It'äs summer. And I am probably very starnge because when I have school I can post more than in summer, when I have no place to use the net in and no reason to be "working" on the computer... :D

I try to sp...eh, POST more!

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I've done that a few times, registered and never posted. The board is usualy just not as interesting as this one, so I leave it and forget about it.

20. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

:( The same is prob. happening to me on Natural Selection's Board. :(

All the available topics are very specified, and by the time I see something interesting, someone else has already said what can be said about the matter.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.