1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

So...will my new PSU work with the new LGA775 motherboards?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    So, I just recently bought a new Antec 480watt True Blue power supply - which has a 20-pin motherboard connector. Now my question is: The new P4 LGA775 motherboards now have a 24-pin connector, what are those new 4 extra pins for, and will I be able to still use my PSU on the new motherboards? :rolling:

2. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    That doesn't really answer my question since many of the people in the forums said "yes", while many others said "no". :bang:

Also, do I plug the 4-pin P4 power connector in to the extra 4 pins, or do I leave the P4 and the extra pins un-connected?

Also, I found out that the 24-pin motherboard power connector is going to be the standard for the new motherboard standard (BTX), that'll replace the ATX standard over the nex several years. BTX motherboards use the 24-pin connector to do away with the seprate 4-pin P4 power connector...which is why I asked the question above. :rolling:

4. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Ok, seems the links above were a bit misleading. Thing is: There is no cenceptual problem that would prevent your rig from running with your PSU and your chosen board. You can either use an adapter that's available for conversion between 20 and 24 pins, or you can simply plug the power cable into your MB. The plug is coded, so there won't be any room for confusion.

If your MB comes with an extra 4pin connector, then yes, you'd connect that one to your PSU as well.

There may, as I'm aware from above links and other sources on the net, be an issue with stability due to lack of power. However, all posts expressing these concerns came from users who didn't use and hence didn't have any experience such a set-up. All users who actually run such a system gave positive feedback.

And with your 480 W I find it highly unlikely that you couldn't feed your PCIe. May depend a bit on what other gear you have in your rig, though.

Conclusion: as your set with your PSU (as it was just bought recently, and a good choice it was), what other choice do you have if you're aiming for high performance and a LGA775? If I was you, I'd give it a try. I'd feel quite secure as well.

Ah, BTW, you can check, whether your PSU is labelled "ATX12V" or not. If it is (yep, the Antec 480 True Blue is), you're set for a new P4 system.

[ December 21, 2004, 08:21: Message edited by: Darkthrone ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.