1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Soloing?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Vicsun, May 23, 2001.

1. Vicsun Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Has anyone tried to solo through PST? I havn't read any posts about this, so I wanted to ask. Is it that hard, that nobody has tried it, or is it just that nobody wants to post about it?
    I was wondering if I should try to solo, or I could duo with Dak'kon so he can switch me between fighter and mage.
    Just thoughts though.

2. herf Guest

i tried it oce, extrememly hard, you have to keep fighting thugs and abishais to gte your levels up at the start so you can actually make it hrough areas, i got to the ctacombs and had to go back to a previous save and level up about 3 times before i could actually do it but the upside is that the exp doesnt get shared and you dont have to buy for other characters, the downside is the loss of interaction and NPC experience and dialogues where the npc's join in (i.e. ravel's convo in the twisted garden).

Herf

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I can't say it's impossible. About class switching, there are some people who can switch your class on the streets.

However, this game is made on basis that you lead a party. So, don't ruin your game experiencing trying to turn it in Diablo sake.

4. Vicsun Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Thanx. I was just wandering because, it looks like to me that the game hasn't got a big replayabillity with only 8 NPCs and so little side quests.
    That is probably also the reason that BG2 was more succefull.

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Are you a smart one?

I finished this game seven times, and I'm planning to start it again. And BG2 I finished only twice - and I'm not planning to play it again.

Replayability? My ass. BG2 gets me boring - this game ain't.

The reason for success or not is in marketing - that part of a job was lowsy for PT. You don't think so? Then how come you heard everywhere for BG and noone mentioned PT? Don't be ridicolous, wrapping sells games. Not rewards or worth status.

6. Rhodry Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

PST has great replayability because there is so much depth to it and all the characters, unless you follow a walkthrough you'll take forever finding all the little details in the game and the backgrounds. Also the different stats and classes affect the game joining factions etc. Its one huge game and I for one think it is far better than BG2

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] You're my man!

Welcome to the boards.

8. Avooch Dar Guest

I have completed PT a total of............well............i havent yet. I have started iy god knows how many times but i keep having to restart because i suddenly realise something i missed last time. Or i wanted to trya different class from the beggining.
    I have restarted probably 11 times. The furthest i god was the fortress of regrets. (i think it is quite near the end anyhow)
    But i must say that i have never got bored with it and it always throws up new surprises.
    No replayability my a*se

9. Hrast Gems: 1/31

BG2 is for the D&D masses, Planescape is for those that can get into the game. In BG what level you are says how far you came, in PT what you know says that. In BG you are geting new really powerful weapons all the time in Planescape they are really rare, so just finding it feels epic, in BG2 it is no big deal if you missed a +2 sword, there will be a +3 in next quest. Yes in BG2 are more charachters that can join you, but they are unbalanced and dull, here you can spend hours just thinking who to have in your party. Just compare Morte to Minsc. Yes BG2 is a good game, but when comparing its story, depth and game-feeling to Planescape`s it is like comparing Diablo to Baldurs Gate.

10. Diar Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I love the BG games. I picked up PST 2 weeks ago just cause it was $20 in a sale bin, I had a buddy 'o mine show it to me a long time ago and I thought it was a poor version of BG...
    wow, was I wrong.
    The story and characters in the game rock! The atmosphere in the game is outstanding, its like reading a great novel that you can interact with. I didd'nt even care about levels or items, the story kept me stuck to the game for 10 hours almost straight (yikes!)
    BG is a great game but PST is like a different style of CRPG.
    PST rocks.

11. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Amen brothers! I don't think they'll ever make such a fantastic game again.
    It feels like you' really ARE in sigil.
    If you liked this game try Blade Runner.
    Dialog might be a bit tedious from time to time but again it feels like you are there.
    Has a cool story too. The NPC's has a lot
    of personality.

12. ClammyRyu Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Yeah, Soloing Makes You miss a lot of the game... I've Played through it like 7 times, But i'm still just a Watcher..

[This message has been edited by ClammyRyu (edited June 25, 2001).]

13. Extremist Gems: 31/31

The avatar doesn't make you.

Your words in posts tell who you are.

14. Mistyca Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I really LOVE PST. And i think thaht going solo through this game means loosing the best part of it: character interactions. There are some good fights, but the greatest thing in this game are dialogues and characters interactions....and you'll loose that if you solo... :(

15. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

About Soloing.... I had this stupid plan to go through s much as I could with only the characters I had to have (Morte'n'Annah) and then pick up the rest just before I go Ravel-hunting to get a more experienced party. But I heard that in Planescape Torment characters don't join at the same level as you are as in BG. Is this true, am I crazy?

16. Mistyca Gems: 5/31

I never soloed, but i had a NPC join later in the game and his lvl was lower than mine and that of other NPC....

17. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

In reply to divine shadow

I played torment and blade runner during the same period last winter.

nice to see another blade fan here.

I never finished torment at the time (had to finish my final paper) and Im planning to do it know.

What would you people say is the best way to go through torment. ( in a roleplaying way)
    is it as a mage or as a fighter?

I dont see any point in being a thief (in BG2 thats another matter)

bye

18. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] You can finish the game as a solo fighter extremely easily quickly. Just get the godsmans axe as quickly as possible and then hack your way to the end. However it is incredibly boring and makes the game seem bad.

19. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] Soloing wouldn't be worth the time.Once you get that Modron box. You can level all you want and then breeze through everything.But how can you pass up a chance to Romance with a Succubus and live to tell about it.If that isn't a reason against going solo I don't know what is.

20. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I agree with all that's been said about tormetnt being a great game because it rocks and the reason is with all the atmosphere and character interaction. You end up picking your party more carefully in torment than in bg1+2. when i played bg1+2 i never bothered raising anybody from the ded because i could get another person at a better level (the levels npcs join at is relative to your level) and give him the ded guys stuff. The only halfway interesting character was minsc and only becasue of his comments and Boo 'SQUEAK' the minature, giant, space hamster.

LONG LIVE TORMENT (even without a sequel/ prequel) AND WELL DEVELOPED CHARACTER INTERACTION.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.