1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sorcerer spell picks (3.5) & stronghold planning

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Earl Grey, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] What spells are good choices for a PnP 3.5ed Sorcerer? Pre-planned spell choices up to Sorcerer level 20 or so would be good.
    Is it viable to include spells which are useful in stronghold construction or will that dilute the "adventuring power" of this character?

The reason for my interest in this type of character is that I am interested in planning the construction of a stronghold with a potential level 20 sorcerer in a pnp campaign.
    (Maybe via the Sunless Citadel to the Bastion of Broken Souls series of adventures.)

A direct link to discussion on the subject would also be nice.

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The Sorcerer is like a machine gun. You can (or in my opinion, should) be able to do the most effective things over and over again. So spells like Guards and Wards is not as useful in the long run as is, say, Cone of Cold.

My advice would just to get another spellcaster to do the right spells for you. Or scrolls.

3. Earl Grey

[​IMG] I know about sorcerers from BG2 and IWD2, but not from pnp. What I want to see is a list of spells picked by a pnp sorcerer.

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31

For the sake of simplicity, I'm going to put 4 spells for spell levels 1-3, 3 for 4-6, and 2 for 7-9. Here is what I would suggest:

1: Expeditious retreat, mage armor, magic missile, sleep
    2: Bear's endurance, cat's grace, invisibility, mirror image
    3: Dispel magic, fireball, fly, hold person
    4: Charm monster, phantasmal killer, polymorph
    5: Cone of cold, persistent image, wall of force
    6: Greater heroism, mass suggestion, summon monster VI
    7: Finger of death, greater teleport
    8: Mind blank, power word stun
    9: Dominate monster, weird

This should fill out most of the gaps: buff spells, mass damage spells, Will save spells, kill-a-single-creature-spells, etc. There are some things you can't do, like resist fire or banish demons, but that's what a Cleric is for.

As you can see, a lot of these spells don't help to construct a stronghold, but are useful when fighting monsters, exploring dungeons, saving the world, etc. You can take Craft Wondrous Item or Craft Rod to assist building your place, though.

5. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I would replace the phant killer with stoneskin, and weird with wail of the banshee, but that is just me. :D

6. Earl Grey

@Oaz
    List seems reasonable. Now some alternative lists, please. :)

Oh, just a quick comment: Finger of Death?
    Fort save and spell resistance. I didn't like FoD before 3rd ed and I still don't like it. What about Power Word Blind as an alternative or is the 200 HP limit too low to be useful?

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Power Word Blind is a good spell - in fact, lots of high-level monsters have less than 200 hp. It does seem like an advantage over Finger of Death. The problem is that you are stuck with a no single-kill spell (and some monsters have blindsight, like dragons).

If you want an alternative list, trying going with various themes that your Sorcerer can do: area of effect spells, buff spells, summon spells, etc. Your metamagic and magic feats, if any, should hopefully augment whatever spells you opt to take.

8. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Because a Sorcerer's powers are intuitive and not learned, I personally think that the Sorcerer randomly stumbles across the spell. Therefore, for spell selection, roll some dice to see what you get.

But thats just me personally

9. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I like choosing an offensive spell, a defensive spell, and a utility spell for each level, in that order.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.