1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sound Cards - Do They Matter?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Splunge, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was going to post this in Wirhe's current sound card/headphone thread, but I didn't want to hijack his topic.

So here's the question - if I am not using my computer for movies or music (ie. basically just games, as far as sound is concerned), does a separate sound card (vs. on-board sound) make much of a difference, aside from a slight drain on the CPU?

Edit - damn! Wrong forum - I thought I was in Techno-Magic. My apologies.

[ January 01, 2005, 22:57: Message edited by: Splunge ]

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Yes it does

3. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Nah, most on-board sound cards are decent these days, especially if you're just going to be playing some games with 2.1 speakers or something.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    A separate sound card is a waste of money unless you're a professional musician and/or need the card for some more complex purpose than regular sound effects and music on 2 desktop speakers. For that, every onboard sound card today is equally good as the cheapest Sound Blaster. I didn't put a separate sound card in this machine I've been using for over a year now and there's absolutely no difference compared to before, when I had a separate Sound Blaster. So save your money.

A few years back a Sound Blaster was a must (because most onboard sound chips were crappy), but those days are long gone.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Depends. I think that the upgrade will be worth it not because of the 24-bit sounds but the AdvancedHD and EAX3 & 4 techniques; they should make the games sound a bit more living. ;)

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Depends what you get on-board. With the thing I got along with my Abit E7 (IIRC) motherboard, I'm sorely missing my old SB Live.

7. Gerrymander Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

IMHO, both have their pros and cons. I personally have run into a few instances where on-board sound cards (e.g., Avance AC97) would clash with some other device and cause the PC to reboot randomly. In the most recent case it got so annoying I went to get an SB Live! and shut the on-board card off. No problems since. Also, while most new games work fine, on-board cards often generate problems if you try to run old dos games or perhaps emulators. In this sense an external card might be more desirable. EAX is also very nice for games which support it. :)

OTOH, a friend of min told me that he went experimenting and found that on-board cards actually play better quality music. The difference is so very slight it's almost unoticable but it's there nevertheless. For someone really into music this will be an important factor, so basically it's a tradeoff: games or quality of sound.

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Does 5.1 or 7.1 mean anything to you? If not, then the onboard sound will do fine. :rolling:

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Kitrax - I have 5.1 speakers.

My motherboard is an ASUS KV8 Deluxe, which supports 5.1. The audio description says "ADI AD1980 SoundMax 6 channel audio CODEC support for S/PDIF out interface".

The 5.1 does seem to work just fine. I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on anything substantial by not having a separate sound card. My CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 3400+, and I'm still working my way through games that are a year or more old, so the CPU drain isn't really an issue at this point.

10. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    As far as I know, you're not missing out on anything, substantial or not. On-board sound has gone such a long way since its beginnings that you now can get something that's in every way as good as the cards you buy separately (providing you're not doing any audio manipulation of course. Then again, if you are into that stuff, you're not going to buy a Creative card either)

So, my advice is to save your money for something else. With an Athlon 64, you'll never notice the CPU drain anyway, even if you run the latest games. As for EAX, 3D sound and all that, they're overrated IMO.

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Not if you are using good headphones for both games and listening. ;)

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Pretty much all onboard sound chips today support 5.1, so that's not an issue.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.