1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sound crash!!!

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Yulaw9460, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    My soundcard crashes Baldur´s Gate. Whenever I start running the game, it crashes after the intromovies have been played through, just when the main menu should appear.

I get this errormessage:

AppName: bgmain.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.1 ModName: unknown
    ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 2f454d45

My soundcard is a Realtek AC´97, driverversion 5.10.0.5780, updated 15 minutes ago.

Whenever I disable it, the game works fine, except there is no sound. All other games and programs run just fine with it, even games older than BG, except BG itself.

I´ve run every Directx diagnostic I can think of, and there are no other hardwareconflicts or programs running in the background. My neighbour has no problems with it, his soundcard and OS is the same as mine, WinXP Home Edition.

I´m confused.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hm, lots of people have AC'97's on motherboards, me included... though I don't think I've actually played any IE games with it since I've ditched Soundblaster. But NWN works fine.

Try turning EAX off if you have it on to see if that makes any difference.

3. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31

Media:
    I can´t even turn it on, so I don´t think that´s it.

4. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I have a Avance AC'97 and have played BG 1 & 2 through without a problem. I dont have the same version though, mine is 5.10.0000.3910

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Must be an issue with the drivers... if you can, I suggest you contact the people who write the drivers and tell them about your problem.

6. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31

Media:
    Well, there are two versions of drivers. The first version is designed for Win 95 and so on, all the way up to XP. The other version is designed for Win 2003 servers and XP 64bit. My comp runs smoothly with both versions, except when playing BG. I just can´t imagine that the drivers are corrupt in a way that affects ONLY this game.

But I´ll try it.

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Then it's probably the game, corrupted sound files maybe..

8. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31

Media:
    Tried reinstalling, still the same problem.

Tried reinstalling with 6 other CD´s, still the same problem.

New soundcard, Soundblaster Live 24-bit, fully updated, still the same problem.

Tried installing Windows XP SP2 (again), still the same problem.

Installed a fix for older games in Windows XP, still the same problem.

Tried switching compatibility settings for the game so that it is associated with Windows 98, still the same problem.

All other games work just fine, including NWN.

I´m getting sick of repeating myself....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.