1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spam blocking

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by kuemper, May 23, 2006.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I keep getting the same spam email, but can't block it normally - using the sender's name - because it's one of those bots that generate different names and addys. But, it keeps getting sent with the same title. Can I block it that way?

2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You should be able to. I have my blocker set to block titles that have certain words in them. It works fine. If you use the word blocker remember it will block any message having that word in the title. I always check my junk mail before deleting.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You didn't write which mail client you're using. Though really, any should be able to block that way. I know even OE has that option (and many others besides).

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31

It's gmail, if that helps. I'll diddle around and see what I can do.

I created a filter to filter out emails with a specific subject word(s). It's been created, so I'll see if it works tomorrow. Thanks for the help. :)

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Try looking for a Bayesian spam filter, they are superior in that you train those things yourself to recognise spam, after telling them for 100 times "No, this spam, that good" the system has become so intelligent it will hardly flunk with false positives(legitimate mail that was blocked) and false negatives(spam that passed the test).

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There's also a Report Spam button on every gmail page. Did you try that?

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

You know, developing all kinds of silly heuristics and algoritms just to weed out spam is rather complicated when there is a so much easier way to deal with it permanently.

All it takes two or three email accounts, one of them preferably a virtual redirect address with no real account. Give out the redirect address and once spam starts flooding there, create it anew under different address. Nothing lost and the real account stays always safe.

You can do this with Gmail if you want simply by sending invitation to yourself. Not a very good way, though, since it will encumber Google with loads of wasted HDD space (2 gigs per account).

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Why do I doubt that Google actually devotes a real 2 gigs per account? They probably do the same thing that web hosting companies do... rely on the fact that very few people are actually going to use 2 gigs of space.

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31

@Tal - I only get this spam 3 times a month.

@Wordplay - Last time I sent a gmail invite to myself, my computer locked up (CTRL+ALT+DEL fix) and I couldn't access any email which forced me to get Firefox.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.