1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Spending time

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sometimes I get bored with the monotonous everyday chores that I have to do so I invent small games to make them a little more interesting. While I was doing the dishes this morning I decided to time how long it took me to wash silverware. I can clean 10 forks/knives/spoons in one minute. Bowls and plates are about 6 per minute (not including rincing)

Now this all might seem a little weird but if you think about all the time we spend doing these types of things on a dayly basis you notice that they all add up.

It would be interesting if you guys could time some of the dayly stuff you do and post it here. It doesn't matter if it is washing dishes, eating lunch, making your bed etc. Be creative. I'd be interested to find out.

2. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Making Green Tomato and Pear Chutney last night - 2 & 1/2 hours. Though most of this involved coming back into the kitchen to stir it every five-ten minutes.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ironing:

1 long-sleeve cotton dress shirt (not wrinkle-free) - 4 minutes

1 casual long-sleeve shirt - 2.5 minutes

1 casual short-sleeve shirt - 2 minutes

Pants (not wrinkle-free) - 2 minutes

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The longest is getting up and/or leaving, I guess. Otherwise, I don't normally take a lot of time. As for chores, I sometimes do them in systems to make it less annoying. I can be quite efficient and I can typically find a shorter way. The shorter way sometimes means just starting right away and doing it the longer way instead of spending too much time thinking. ;) For example, the last time I had to clean a room, I kicked everything out and mopped the ceiling and walls with a friggin' fake swiffer, the floor last. Instead of killing myself with a little cloth the traditional way. ;) I typically take a couple of lines for what other coders need a page or two to write. Just like with my Alley posts, except the opposite.

5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

What I have been curious about is my alley's posts myself. I would not be surprised to find more then 20 minutes taken, with the occasional one over half an hour...

6. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I clean my room/cook/wash dishes more efficently with music (dunno why, also I sing then).

When I'm doing my homework I always take time, my fastest is now 20minutes (one page on four subjects).

Also, when I'm reading a book, I'm always arranging sweets before eating them :p , example: chocolate, red candy, blue candy... Just makes reading easier when you know it's not going to be four worst in a row

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hehe. I didn't mean the time involved so much as the space taken instead of just being concise and up to the point. :D

8. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There only one game I play with the monotous everyday chores:
    How many days can I walk around in room without cleaning up and NOT hurting myself?
    I have not found the answer to that yet... :shake:

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

How high can I stack the ginger beer bottles before they fall down. When they fall down is when I clean them up finally... or when I can't reach any higher to add another to the tower.

10. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

47 minutes to mow the lawn.

8 minutes to shower

11. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

4 minutes to shower, six if I wash my hair.

When I have to wash up the dishes in our house, I usually sing along very loudly and badly with a few CDs.

12. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    15 minutes to shower / shave / wash hair

Washing the dishes usaly involve me doing it very very, very fast to get over it soon.

Well I'm in the 3rd month now :lol:

13. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    How can you guys take a shower in 6 minutes?

I can do it in 15 when I try very hard.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

A shower can take as long or as short a time as you want (or hot water allows).

15. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Indeed, I've some memory of quick shower 'cause of stupid hot water.

16. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Shower takes 7 minutes.

Shave takes 4 minutes.

Vacuuming my room takes 8 minutes (its a very small room :grr: )

17. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Computer games: uncounted hours
    Thinking of excuses not to do things eats up as much time as doing them. Hasn't stoped me though. :D

18. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Considering how I do 'everything' I can in the shower it does take me a little longer. Brushing my teeth, shaving, washing my hair and cleaning my body - almost all at the same time - actually saves time. But how long do I take? As long as I need and it differs every day.

19. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Of course a shower can take as long or not as you want, but my average time in the shower is 8 minutes.

20. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Driving to work: 32 minutes.
    Cycling to work: 18 minutes.

I hate traffic...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.