1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sponge Bob Square Pants straight or fei?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ox, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Ox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Religious people from the far right in America have accused Sponge Bob Square Pants of being a 'Gay' supporter.

What do you Think?

I won't be offended by any answer you give.

[ January 26, 2005, 18:13: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I Think that this has nothing to do with US politics, so it does not belong in this forum.

I Think that this has nothing to do with serious discussion, so it doesn't belong in the AoDA either.

I Think that this really doesn't merit any discussion whatsoever.

I Think that I will close this thread! :D

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Seems that this topic wasn't as silly as I originally thought it was.

Here is an article that explains better what I believe Ox was trying to get at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4190699.stm

Looks pretty :nuts: to me...

Sorry for the misunderstanding Ox! :wave:

4. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

This reminds me of the 'burt and ernie' scandal from a few years back!

Is being homosexual really such a threat to socitey? Just because someone is gay it does not mean it is a nasty disease that will eventually consume mankind!

I also read that there was a 'Church of Spongebob' in New York.

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I saw this last week and was tempted to post it. However I do think it is pretty silly. On a par with the Teletubby controversy.

6. Ox Gems: 4/31

Thank you Blackthorne TA for your reconsideration of my post.

I am a Sponge Bob Square Pants fan myself.

Thank you Cesard, I will Google 'Church of {the} Sponge Bob'

Thank you Nakia Nightshadow, I think this controversy points to just how serious the conservitive religious right peril is in America; ie. ''...James Dobson, founder of right-wing Christian group Focus on the Family, singled out SpongeBob at a black-tie dinner in Washington... ''

I am standing by...

7. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Stoo-pid extremists... I am glad for SP, otherwise, I'd *really* think by now that every single American has his or her head so far up their ass, a kick in the butt might break their spines.

I mean, FFS, it's SPONGEBOB - it's funny. It's not per sé gay. Pretty soon, there'll be reverse gender segregation, where people are no longer allowed to get along with others of their gender, because it's too gay.

*sigh* Stupids
    :borg:

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    :lol: Hehe, more of that, please! :lol:

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wasnt there a big ruckus about the purple Teletubby as well? The disturbing thing is that these people may be fringegroups but they have a lot of clout in society. They scream really loud and most often results come more from loud screaming than large numbers.

10. Ox Gems: 4/31

I'm afraid 'these people' of which Joacqin refers aren't really fringe groups at all; but that they're really the spear tip of the conservitive religious movement (christian) in America today. ie. Pat Robertson, Jerry Fallwell, and like types you can see on main stream Tv and cable here in the USA.

They talk about 'Tolerance' : meaning others had better tolerate them. . .

They talk about 'Morals' : meaning their morals. . .

They talk about the 'Moral Majority' : meaning they ain't kidding. ie. millions (and I do mean millions) of normal people consider themselves to be a part of this group.

Despite the ''promise of America'' I believe America remains one of the least Tolerant and most Policed states in the world today.

Sponge Bob Square Pants is a sense of humor about being free I think.

I am standing by . . .

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Some people can take trouble out of anything. They'd probably say that the black clothing of Goths is sinister and focussed on death, meanwhile they dress in black clothing when they go to church.

These people (not generalizing) see wrongs in anything because they're focussed too much on it.
    999 Games is 666 games if you turn it upside down.
    Settlers of Catan could also be pronounced as Satan. Yeah! :rolleyes: And if you read my name (Thijs, actually meaning 'Gift from God') from the back to the front you get sjihT. Now what does that sound like? Pfft.

12. Ox Gems: 4/31

MoN,

you make me Laugh out Loud ! :D

great comment !

I am standing by . . .

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, Thanks! :)
    Don't get me wrong, though. I'm a christian, too. And I probably might share some of their opinions. This is just a bit farfetched and... silly.

14. Ox Gems: 4/31

MoN,

may I quote you? . . .

''...This is just a bit farfetched and... silly.''

probably what they said before the good people of Salem started to arrest, torture, convict and burn ''witches'' at the stake; in their quaint new-found-land . . . :eek:

I am standing by . . .

oh, and Post Script:
    isn't the US even now using state sanctioned torture; against the shadowy terrorists of the 3d world? That thought alone may deserve its own thread . . .

15. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

From BlackthorneTA:

Probably right, and wouldn't have been brought up if someone hadn't gone looking to stir up trouble, but the Anti-Gay lobby is looking for scapegoats. If you're the least bit different, then run for the hills...

16. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Sounds reasonable.

17. Ox Gems: 4/31

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WAFF spokesman Mark Barondeso told the newspaper that anyone who thought the video promoted homosexuality "needs to visit their doctor and get their medication increased".
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    their doctor: is their preacher
    their medication: religious furr' verr

ever been to a 'revival' ?

ever seen THE BLUES BROTHERS ? ie they're losing it in the aisles . . .

it's really true folks!

they O D all the time on their junk

I am standing by . . . :rolleyes:

18. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    In the Snook household we all love the show. Little Snook is a disciple of Patrick. The Mrs. loves Squidwird and myself I like Mr. Crab.

Chalk this one up to people see what they want to see.

19. Ox Gems: 4/31

The Great Snook,

Nice to meet another fan of the Sponge Bob Square Pants.

Myself and Chick Flickity both adore this animated series.

I am standing by . . . :D

20. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    I don't understand all that's been said.

What is OD? What is 'their junk'? What have you seen at a revival? What's the deal with the 'quaint new-found-land'?

I bet you're a fine old man, Ox, but I'm not familiar with the way you speak. I'm Dutch and half your age. Could you make these things clear? I'd like to share my thoughts on this matter. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.