1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Starting from scratch - what should I install and do?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Bahir the Red, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

So, I'll get a new hard drive soon, and this time, I plan to make everything right. So, with the help of you guys, I would like to make a list of all the things to do on the computer before starting to use it normally.

What I've got so far, on the top of my mind:

Install:
    Firewall (Zone Alarm)
    Anti-virus (avast)
    Anti-spyware (ad-aware)
    RamBooster
    Tweak UI

Help me please.

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Based on my own setup, which has never failed thus far:

1) Install WinXP and updates. There are special versions of Windows that have updates and no-activation cracks pre-installed.
    2) Install ZoneAlarm.
    3) Install DirectX 9.0c
    4) Install drivers and whatnot.
    5) Defrag and tweak the settings, especially those under the properties of "My Computer."

You can also skin the GUI with a tool available from my homepage. Makes it look so much prettier. No AV software (if you trust yourself) and remove all unnecessary background tasks. Makes your comp run smoother.

3. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Do not plug it in the net before installing a firewall that limits inbound traffic.

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I usually just put it behind a router with NAT enabled.

My routine:

Install Windows and updates. (Reboot)
    Install latest DirectX and WMP. (Reboot)
    Install ZoneAlarm. (Reboot)
    Install AVG. (Reboot)
    Remove unnecessary services. (Reboot)
    Change user settings. (Reboot)
    Defragment. (Reboot)
    Install Opera, Filzip, IrfanView and VLC.
    Disable Drive Indexing.
    Disable Mouse Shadow.
    Configure Control Panel settings.
    Configure Computer Management settings.
    Set swap memory (usually 2x physical).
    Reboot.
    Defrag.
    Reboot.
    Install user-specific programs (such as Firefox).
    Reboot.
    Defrag.
    Reboot.

5. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Which services can be removed safely, Taza? My housemate wants me to optimize her own comp, but I don't really want to screw up her installation. (Not that I really care, but anything to avoid reinstalling Winblows one more time)

6. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

If it has startup type as automatic, and looks useless, I change it to manual. Such things as Workstation and Server outside a workgroup, ipsec policy agent, file tracking, messenger, NetBIOS support...

Generally, changing the type from automatic to manual should be safer.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.