1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

State of the Union

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Link.

Although this year, as most years, I wonder why I bother paying much attention to it. It's the same thing nearly every year. The same old blah. About the only thing that was remarkable was Obama not saying "The State of the Union is strong."

Am I missing something? Thoughts?

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not really.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I missed the guy screaming "liar". At least that made last year's interesting.

4. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

My wife asked me if I wanted to watch it last night, and I felt like the Family Guy's version of Ray Romano. "I Just. Don't. Care." That's no slam against Obama, mind you, I usually like his speeches, but the caring was gone from Care-a-Lot mansion last night, and when it comes to politics, it'll probably stay that way for the next little while. LKD is sick, tired, and burned out.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It's a rhetorical chess game between the parties. It's interesting to see how Obama and the Dems anticipate the next move of the GOP. They have been doing a good job of cutting them off at the knees on not only message, but policy agenda, since the mid-terms. It's all politics. Despite the politics, there was some real substance in the speech. Two things are clear, at least to me: 1. SS is going to remain untouched, at least in the near future. 2. Finally, finally, defense may be cut. I heard the Tea Party guy from PA comment this morning that there are things that the military doesn't even want but that Congress is forcing on them in the defense budget. Talk about "mega pork!"

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    LKD, that's understandable. Having said that though, I don't understand why you would be expected to care, or even want to watch it. It isn't the state of your union, after all (unless you moved to the States and I wasn't aware).

7. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I've said it before but it's worth repeating: Canada is in the same position as a mouse living right beside an elephant. The elephant may not have to even think about the mouse, but that mouse has no choice but to keep a close watch on even minor shifts in the elephant's position, lest he be inadvertently crushed.

8. Death Rabbit

Media:
    What if the elephant farts? Elephants fart, you know.

9. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

All the more reason for the mouse to be vigilant! I mean, seriously, EVERY decision you Americans make has a ripple effect that covers the whole world, but especially your #1 trading partner and neighbour with whom you share the longest undefended border in the world.

Our Population / GDP: 33,487,208 / 1.287 Trillion

US population / GDP: 307,212,123 / 14.26 Trillion

Let me reiterate my point: living beside you people is a dangerous <expletiving> proposition! Without even noticing it, you can bankrupt entire sectors of our economy. We all knew during the Cold War that if it were necessary to smash through Canada to get at those commies, you'd have done it without blinking an eye, and it would have been a hot knife through butter, considering we were using decades old rifles and mortars, fer frick's sake.

We walk a fine, fine line here in the Great White North. And it's slippery, too!

10. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Personally I liked the idea of a Tea Party response to the State of the Union:

http://thelastword.msnbc.msn.com/_n...eghan-mccain-bachmann-a-poor-mans-sarah-palin

Speaking of which, isn't it about time for Sarah to get herself back into the news again?

I thought this was funny as well:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/w...te-of-the-union-2011---correspondent-rebuttal

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-january-26-2011/state-of-the-union-2011---republican-rebuttal

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  11. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

We have a president?

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Just curious: What do you mean by the near future? I always figured that they wouldn't change the system in place until SS started paying out more than it was taking in. Last I checked - and granted I haven't seen much on this since the 2008 election cycle, SS would remain solvent through 2016. I'm not sure what the recent SS tax cut does to that though. I believe it was cut (for this year only) from 6.2% to 4.2%. That seems to be a hefty difference, if you were already near the point where money out exceeded money in.

The point remains, while I agree that nothing will happen with SS in the near term, I think that is only true if we define the near term as the next couple of years. It is likely going to be a major issue that will have to be tackled in the next presidential term - regardless of whether that term is served by Obama (which, IMO is still likely) or someone else.

13. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    With the recent economic meltdown, that figure is far from certain. We actually ran a deficit in 2010, apparently, but most economists were expecting the economy to pick up enough to show a surplus through 2016 again. It hasn't done that well, but there's still debate about where it'll end up. A further deficit in 2011 isn't impossible, and there's a chance it may never run a surplus again.

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Aldeth - I was mostly speaking of benefits. There was a lot of talk about cutting benefits, like raising the retirement age to 70, and that seems unlikely even through the next cycle. The president has decided against the recommendations of his own commision on the deficit, which was to cut benefits for those under age 55.

The thing is SS will begin running a deficit next year because of the loss of income. But SS has been funding the general debt, and in fact, has funded more of our general debt than the Chinese have. The government owes SS something like 2.5 trillion dollars. That will have to be paid back so that SS can remain solvent through the next decade. I suspected that the government would try to cheat the SS system and seniors, but that now seems unlikely. Obama commented that he would not balance the budget on the backs of the old and the sick, and that's a good sign for both SS and Medicare.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    While I don't think that the government will try to cheat the seniors, I also think that paying back that money also seems unlikely. It is true that the government has been borrowing for years from the SS trust fund, and that debt is the single biggest line item in our current deficit - and I believe that number is expected to hit somewhere around $14 trillion this year. The thing is, where is that money going to come from? I think it is far more likely to see an increase in the amount everyone pays into SS, or a change for the age in which you can start receiving benefits.

For starters, I think if you have a job where you can reasonably expect to continue working, it would make sense to raise the age of collection to 70. While it may be a bit much to expect a construction worker to keep on keepin' on until 70 years old, someone like me who has a desk job likely can.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.