1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stem Cells May Aid in Organ Transplants

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by dmc, Mar 8, 2012.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I decided to put this here because of the somewhat touchy nature of stem cells (not that I get that in the slightest, but whatever).

This is way cool.

Link

How awesome would it be to be able to have stem cells be a bridge to the body recognizing the new organ as OK so that immuno-suppressant drugs are unnecessary?

I am totally geeked-out-happy about this.

Taluntain likes this.
  2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] There was also a story about a year or so ago about collagen meshes being built to resemble organs so stem cells can be taken from a patient and grown into the organ they need for transplant, the organ is genetically theirs except for the collagen.

They were intially working on hearts as they were one of the most difficult organs to harvest and have permission to harvest.

There were quite a few people with collagen disorders treating it as a potential cure, though the organ should respond and replenish with original genetic material just as a normal organ making it a short lived "cure". Every seven years is a new you, after all.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    This is a bit different that what I expected. I thought the idea behind stem cells was actually to (eventually) regrow organs, but this is stem cells to prevent rejection of a transplanted organ. Way cool.

4. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    stem cells are very versatile, I have always been very unimpressed at all the anti stem cell research groups lobbying to ban research which could revolutionise medicen.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.