1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"stuttering graphics"?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by uglijimus, May 5, 2006.

1. uglijimus Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hi just started playing IWD not too long ago and reazlied the graphics (especially during fights) don't seem very fluid. I don't think it's a problem with my computers system requirements (i bought a top of line laptob just 2 years ago) so I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem? Is it just a characteristic of the game? it is kind of "old" after all. It's just that I was playing BG2 last month and compared to that, the graphics don't seem quite as fluid. Perhaps it is something with my computer system requirements? let me know if anyone else has had similiar experiences. thanks

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

My laptop is 4 yars old and can run IWD. What are your computer specs (processor, Video RAM and RAM)?

Does your HD start working a lot when the problem happens? Check if you have an antivirus, or a downloading bot running in the background, and get rid of it.

Also, try to disable options like Translucent Shadows and Static Animations in the game. That should improve general performance a bit. If you are using 32-bit colour, try reducing it to 16-bit.

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

May be an 3d conflict, turn off 3D options from configuration.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Do you have Tile Pre-Cache set to 100%?

5. uglijimus Gems: 6/31

ok guys thanks for responses and sorry I was late in getting back...here's my labtops specs Product: Toshiba Satellite P25-S507
    Specs: 2.8-GHz P4 processor,2 slots of 512MB DDR SDRAM, 60GB hard drive, DVD-RW drive, nVidia GeForce FX Go5200 graphics, 17-inch LCD

i turned off anything i had in the background and reduced the color to 16 bit. i also turned off the Transulscence. I was working great. Before I did this, I mainly had problems with spell effects like grease and web but since I did the aforementioned it's working great. but now, whenever i encounter any enemies, it slows down.

how do you get to configurations? do you mean options? I didn't see anything about 3D,

and what is tile-pre cache?

one more thing, when i was installing the game it said that my computer did not support direct x. wonder if that has anything to do with it???

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

You can find configuration program via start menu. Under:program Files-Black Isle-Ice Wind Dale-Configuration. You can configure everything, 3D options, tiles per cache, game speed, effects, everything!

7. uglijimus Gems: 6/31

Thanks Silverstar, I found it. but I didn't find anything regarding 3D, or tiles per cache...here's what I did find. Keep in mind, I'm playing the Japanese version and as far as I know, it should be exactly the same as the American version (also, I don't have heart of winter installed)anyway, here's what I translated from the configuration page:

on the left side of the display there is...

cache______mb (caution: cache size for a multiplayer game is at least 140mb)

Movement Route Examination (???)
    ________ nodes. (what are nodes??)

Color Display
    16bit
    24bit
    32bit

Screen Saver
    __ Disable during game

(on the right side is ...)

Game Speed
    AI ______ (and you can set the number as you like)

Peformance options
    Enviromental Sound Effects __
    Player Character footsteps ___
    Magic Effects Transclucent Handling ___
    shadow Transclucent Handling __
    Weather _____

and the other tabs at the top of the page are simply labeled keyboard shortcuts, Wizard spells and priest spells.

does my configuration screen look different from yours?? any advice would be appreciated!

thanks, jim

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Your laptop should play it faster than my current desktop and I already played IWD fluently two computers ago. Unless perhaps it's something the hardware mode 3D settings. Perhaps try running the game in software mode and if it runs fast like hell, you'll know it's something with the card.

Note: Infinity Engine games runs fast in software made already on old machines. But hardware mode is daaaamn slow in comparison and the visual difference isn't much. At least I haven't noticed any, although my brother claims spell effects are better.

9. uglijimus Gems: 6/31

Hi, Chevalier, what is the difference between software mode and hardware mode? how do I run the game in each mode?

thanks

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.