1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

T.V. commercials that annoy you

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Dice, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I realize that being from different parts of the world with different T.V. stations we all may not be viewing the same T.V. commercials. I'd still like to hear about the commercials that you hate the most and why you hate them.

Usually I just change the channel when one comes on that really bothers me but occasionally I get a real lump of anger in my stomach at some of the stupidity in television advertizement.

I can't seem to remember all the ones that I hate at the moment. (Probably blocked them from my consciensness.) But one that I can think of off hand that is very annoying to me is the ad for K.F.C. that has a woman stop dead in her tracks and point at a leaf and scream in horror because fall in coming. Stupid...just stupid.

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The new Vonnage ads with the caracatured people. Everybody looks like a bad Jay Leno.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Any and EVERY political ad.

4. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

There's that random Fanta ad that I've been seeing on Spike TV with the women in skimpy clothing singing "Wanna Fanta? Don't you wanna Fanta?"

:bang:

Don't get me wrong, I had Fanta while I was in Greece and enjoyed it... but that ad just gets on my nerves.

5. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Those Guiness adverts are full of cliché's - always a man with messy dark brown hair, crooked nose wearing a wooly jumper sipping a pint of Guiness with a sad expression on his face. Thank **** they stopped using old men with flat caps and pipes! :eek:

Harp in contrast is a very N.Irish advert with cringeworthy Belfast accents. "Pint a harp Miss-ster Barrrrrmannnnnn"

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I scarcely ever enjoy any ad. Almost all of them suck beyond grief. I've been annoyed the most by those which include kissing scenes or skimpy clothes (and not talking about swimsuits or sports outfits that are sometimes warranted). People who aren't even friends shouldn't kiss, period. Sexual charms shouldn't be used in promoting merchandise, either.

Next kind that annoys me is the "Don't be lame/stupid/uncool, buy our product!" and other such that feed on the general sheepishness of the society.

Political ads annoy me, too. We have that conservative pro-family pro-justice etc law professor presidential candidate and his daughter (married) is wearing a big cleavage and picking the kid up from the floor or otherwise bending all the time. :rolleyes:

7. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

You should see the Lynx adverts in the UK Chev :eek:

Their slogan is something like "Spray more, get more" :rolleyes:

8. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Well, I enjoy some of them, there are many that are very funny, BUT, these days, I really, really hate the Crazy Frog and any of those 'this tune on your mobile' kind of ads, and I don't know other countries but here, is a custom to have 25 minutes of ads (yes, all 25 minutes together) so it goes something like this: sms 5557 and get this song - some milk ad - sms to get this song (sometimes the same one that 10 seconds before) - the store at home! buy this machine to lose 30 kilos in 2 weeks! (is better than the other one that we advertised 15 seconds ago!) and so on... very boring.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sex sells. That'll never change. And to be honest, they get me watching! :lol:

10. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Any advert for loans, or insurance. Argh!

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

The ad that has a very poor version of "You're as cold as ice" as background music. I can't even remember what it's for, it switches my attention off the TV that much. Not that my attention is ever focussed on TV much, anyway. Why vegetate in front of Neighbours when you could start another game of BG? :D

@ Firey: too true, too true! Those are everywhere... :aaa:

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    This is a hard question to answer because, thanks to the joyful wonder that is TiVo, I pretty much never have to be subjected to commercials at all. :D However, the Sprite "Obey Your Thirst" campaign with that stupid little doll comes immediately to mind.

13. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Most ads these days. But I really can't stand ads where food talks. I'm rather opposed to eating something that is capable of talking.

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I hate this one for a labelling machine (Dymo?) where these idiots stare blankly at something obvious like a giant beanstalk until some woman comes up and labels it "Beanstalk". Then the idiots all go "Oh!" like it's all clear now that the thing is labelled.

15. Dice

Media:
    I remember another one that makes me change channels fast. The one where a man and a woman are in the back of a cab and the man decides to chew too many sticks of minty gum which results in his head freezing and falling off. It is just creepy and stupid.

16. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    All those feel-good Mentos ads drive me up the wall. Guaranteed.

17. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I despise those cheap commercials for small businesses and law firms, they bore the hell out of me.

But I hate those ads for medicines most of all, mainly the ones for headaches, they allways end up giving me an actually headache (maybe that's their goal?!).

18. Dice

Media:
    Oh...and insurance commericals where elderly people discuss with each other how they are over 40 and still able to get life insurence without a medical exam. Those mostly poss me off because they are designed to take advantage of unaware elderly people.

Always read the small print even if you need a microscope to read it.

19. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I don't know which bank it's for, but it's the advert where the guy changes the lyrics of a tune to explain the advantages of joining that bank. It was really good when it first came out, but I find it really boring and quite annoying when it comes on now.

20. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I haven't seen any Vonnage ads in a week, but now all I get are those freakin' Motorola commercials - Hello, Moto. :toofar: I keep telling myself what a crap piece of tech it is and the hassle people'll have calling up customer service. :evil:

On the web, Jason Lee has a new tv show - My Name is Earl - and damn, if I don't quit the program when I see that pop-up! :grr:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.