1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tactics4iwd2 party

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by KainenMorden, Aug 5, 2023.

1. KainenMorden Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I was out of gaming for many years, started revisiting titles from my childhood from 2020 to present, did a solo evil human sorc run of iwd2 last summer, thinking of doing a tactics run at some point soon but have never played the mod before.

I was thinking 2 sorcs, 2 clerics would be powerful enough on their own and then the other 2 slots could be fighters, barbarians or paladins or some type of multi class of those classes and cleric but I'd rather play single class builds for the most part. I don't see too much value in rogues, druids, monks or rangers.

Bards are op because of war chant of sith so I'm avoiding them. A wizard could be ok but I feel like 2 sorcs cover it.

Alternatively, could you get through tactics with 1 wizard as your only arcane caster? I would try that if it was a reasonable challenge but lack of scrolls makes me think it wouldn't be a good idea.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    With only one wizard a lack of scrolls will not be a problem at all. Heck, it is quite doable with two wizards of different opposing schools/specialties as you can have each wizard use different spells.
    It's only if you try to use two identical builds that the lack of scrolls really becomes a problem.
    Personally I don't like taking more than 1 character of the same primary class. A wizard and a sorcerer can be quite potent. The wizard can be especially useful early on in chapter 1 by using Sleep and Color Spray in Targos and against the orcs in the Shangarne Bridge. Sleep can still be useful in the final bridge battle if you rush the ogres to take the canon fodder out of the fight for a while after using that fireball to wipe them out.
    Sleep is actually of limited use in the horde fortress, especially the goblin warrens, but not really useful in the rooftop battle.
    That said, two different specialty wizards can seem like completely different classes of arcane casters and not really suffer from a lack of scrolls as long as each covers the other's opposition schools.

Also instead of two clerics, have you considered a druid and a cleric? You spend a lot of time in outdoor areas and Call Lightning is very powerful, as are other druid spells like Entangle and Spike Growth (great for disrupting spell casters). There is enough overlap between a druid and a cleric (because in 2E or earlier a druid was just a cleric kit for true neutral clerics of nature deities or nature itself) to make the druid able to do the job of a second cleric.

As for bards, I only thought War Chant of the Sith was OP when it could be used to heal outside combat. Once it was patched to be restricted to combat only it wasn't nearly as OP, even with cheesy tricks like putting to sleep, paralyzing, or kiting one enemy and leaving him alive while your bard heals the party and only finishing him off once the party is fully healed (time to use all those nonmagical missiles (arrows, bolts, bullets, darts) you found to kill that one enemy you are kiting).

KainenMorden likes this.
  3. KainenMorden Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'd be open to including a wizard and druid. What do you think would be a good choice of domain for the cleric? I was still thinking two clerics, one of them a Banite priest and one priest of Tempus possibly with a dip in barbarian.

I think the last slot could also be a cleric with dips in paladin or fighter or monk or some combination of those classes. At the same time, I'd be ok with not multi classing any of the clerics and having a few dedicated warriors.

Good to know about bards. I never found them that interesting to play though they definitely have their uses.

What party compositions have you played the tactics mod with in the past?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.