1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Take 2 vs Jack Thompson

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Shaman, Mar 20, 2007.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

For those of you who know who Jack Thompson is - those who don't might want to check out this , you might be interested to know that after he said that he would block Manhunt 2 and GTA 4 with a suit (the games come out later this year - in the summer and fall, respectively), the corporation has decided to make things a bit harder for him, and has itself petitioned the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida for relief. They claim that under the clause he has announced he would use, he would be acting for the state of Florida, and declares it a case of public nuissance :p . The lawyer himself has since contacted the site where the news was posted, and has promised to "strike back" soon. I quote:

" I have been praying, literally, that Take-Two and its lawyers would do something so stupid… that such a misstep would enable me to destroy Take-Two…

The pit Take-Two has dug for itself will be patently clear next week when I strike back."

Wow. I feel tempted to quote Yoda ;)

Here is the suit itself: http://www.gamepolitics.com/images/legal/FL-T2-JT.pdf

Source: http://gamepolitics.com/2007/03/16/breaking-take-two-sues-jack-thompson/ ; http://gamepolitics.com/2007/03/17/thompson-reacts-to-take-two-lawsuit/

[ March 20, 2007, 11:01: Message edited by: The Shaman ]

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

[​IMG] Why does this feel like a chihuahua facing a bulldozer, except that the chihuahua is bloody irritating and the whole situation is bound to be hilarious?

3. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

He does have a point. There needs to be more vigilance on the part of the seller, like not selling an M rated game to those under age, and on the part of legal guardians, to take measures to prevent their charges from getting easy access to such games.

I think that the way he's doing it may not be the best way to deal with it...

4. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, 'Wacky Jacky's' been alienating his allies for a long time now by being an utter extremist, making statements without running them through in his head a couple times first, and generally turning public opinion away from his side of the debate. :toofar:

His cause may have some validity, but "the wrong thing for the right reason" still doesn't mean much at the end of the day...

I'm just heartened that Take 2 seems to have decided to have a fire sale on rope, and I just hope that Mr. Thompson's credit card won't get declined. :D

5. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    That guy lost his mind years ago...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.